The Student Room Group

Harvard = best law school?

After watching suits, it seems as if Harvard is the best university for law, in the world.
Opinions?
Original post by Blazinq
After watching suits, it seems as if Harvard is the best university for law, in the world.
Opinions?

Mike didn't go to Harvard...
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
Mike didn't go to Harvard...

No, but the law firm only recruit from Harvard (aside from his lucky experience), and are obsessed with Harvard..
Reply 3
Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge/Yale
Often mix it up for top place law school.

I watch Suits too. Can't wait for it to return for the new series!
Reply 4
Original post by Capn cas
Harvard/Oxford/Cambridge/Yale
Often mix it up for top place law school.

I watch Suits too. Can't wait for it to return for the new series!

in the US its Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Columbia, Stanford. You may be surprised to see chicago on the list but it is really renowned for its law school.
Reply 5
Original post by Blazinq
Opinions?

Do you believe everything you see on fictional tv?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Key123

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but considering Harvard is already one of the best universities, and a fantastic Law department, I wanted to know opinions.
Original post by Key123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol this. OP I guess you now believe investment bankers only come from Wharton, and none from Harvard
Best law school in the world? Given that different countries (and even states) have different law systems I would think it obvious that there is no such thing.

What you can do is compare law schools in a single jurisdiction on the typical merits that league tables do.
Reply 9
Original post by Blazinq
Opinions?

HYS is the top 3, Stanford has consistently been top 1 for over a decade. TV series have nothing to do with the real world.
Reply 10
Original post by CEKTOP
HYS is the top 3, Stanford has consistently been top 1 for over a decade. TV series have nothing to do with the real world.

I mean, Harvard is actually the best law school in the US. It probably is the best in the world in terms of prestige and competitiveness and funding, but because every country has different law systems and codes you can't really say Harvard is the best in the world since if you aren't planning on practicing in the US (which includes most aspiring lawyers), you aren't really going to be applying to Harvard.
Reply 11
Original post by ukmed108
I mean, Harvard is actually the best law school in the US. It probably is the best in the world in terms of prestige and competitiveness and funding, but because every country has different law systems and codes you can't really say Harvard is the best in the world since if you aren't planning on practicing in the US (which includes most aspiring lawyers), you aren't really going to be applying to Harvard.

According to the usnews ranking Harvard is not the best in terms of law.
Reply 12
In the US most people generally see Harvard as the best school in the world. Especially, for law and political science. That doesn't mean it is. Just that's what we see it as. Most people in the US would say that MIT is easily the best math school (even though CalTech is probably better). That's just how the US works.
Reply 13
Among educated people in the U.S., I would say Yale is considered the best law school. I have experience with people in law firm recruiting, and they like Harvard and Stanford law grads, but LOVE Yale law grads. This is partly because Yale law grads are more likely to become academics.

That said, the top three in the United States are definitely Harvard, Stanford, and Yale.
Reply 14
Unless you're on the Supreme Court they're all Harvard. Thomas hates Yale and he graduated from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well yes, but would you be able to practice law in the UK with a law degree from the US?
Reply 16
Original post by ILovePancakes
Well yes, but would you be able to practice law in the UK with a law degree from the US?

I think the only law you can practice is corporate law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending