The Student Room Group

IT graduate jobs

Since graduate schemes are competitive, are there other IT Jobs that accept graduates? If so what is the competition like for someone who is a graduate in Computer science? Is there a demand for people who know how to program at the moment? I have had no experience in a software development job besides my degree, would that put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 1
Im not a graduate but I currently work in IT and have had another role in the past, I'm trying to get into a development role and finding it difficult because alot of roles demand a degree (so you might fare better)

that being said any of my co students who got to the interviews managed to prove their skills and got jobs, unfortunately I never make it to that stage in programming jobs so I keep trying xD

that aside,

I find alot of companies do take people on of same or less education as urself, as long as you can actually do the tasks the job will require, and have the right skillset, saying "I have java experience" for example mightnt be enough, be sure to showcase any other technologies or skills, especialy used ones like SQL server, Java swing, maybe even scripting languages uve used,

and ofcourse any projects you have done that are relevant.

for example my current employers liked that I'd done a game in C# for my college project and that Im fermila with html,css and javascript.

That being said my role is more support and networking than software, but they are a software house so I see the appeal for them.

I've basicaly been "working my way up"

lastly (and sorry this post of mine is a bit all over lol) if you cant get into your desired role (dev jobs are still very competitive) your best bet might be to go into the next best thing,

I dunno about your area but support roles are very widely available here, and I had no problem getting this one despite never having done this work before (the criteria is usualy alot lower too)

just a thought!

hope any of this helps.
Original post by LukeM90
Im not a graduate but I currently work in IT and have had another role in the past, I'm trying to get into a development role and finding it difficult because alot of roles demand a degree (so you might fare better)

that being said any of my co students who got to the interviews managed to prove their skills and got jobs, unfortunately I never make it to that stage in programming jobs so I keep trying xD

that aside,

I find alot of companies do take people on of same or less education as urself, as long as you can actually do the tasks the job will require, and have the right skillset, saying "I have java experience" for example mightnt be enough, be sure to showcase any other technologies or skills, especialy used ones like SQL server, Java swing, maybe even scripting languages uve used,

and ofcourse any projects you have done that are relevant.

for example my current employers liked that I'd done a game in C# for my college project and that Im fermila with html,css and javascript.

That being said my role is more support and networking than software, but they are a software house so I see the appeal for them.

I've basicaly been "working my way up"

lastly (and sorry this post of mine is a bit all over lol) if you cant get into your desired role (dev jobs are still very competitive) your best bet might be to go into the next best thing,

I dunno about your area but support roles are very widely available here, and I had no problem getting this one despite never having done this work before (the criteria is usualy alot lower too)

just a thought!

hope any of this helps.

Hi thanks for your reply, well that's kind of strange because I thought employers valued work experience more than degrees. What is the pay scale for support jobs, and what sort of things do support workers do in their job?
Reply 3
Original post by bluebluepurple
Hi thanks for your reply, well that's kind of strange because I thought employers valued work experience more than degrees. What is the pay scale for support jobs, and what sort of things do support workers do in their job?

Generaly they do, I must of given the wrong impression, what im getting at is even if you didnt have any experience at all outside of uni, your probably a better candidate on paper than I was when I applied for mine purely cos of the degree.

dunno about your location but here in belfast it ranges from like 15,000 right upto about 25,000 (our pay scales are not anything like london btw, cost of living here isnt that bad)

you do get higher paid support jobs but they are usualy solutions architects and so forth.

well generaly most of the lower paid posts do helpdesk (phone, email, chat, voip etc etc) and can be supporting anything from applications to technical issues,

mine is a varied role, my main responsibility is helpdesk which is applications support but also includes technical support (when the user cant use application for technical reasons)

I also do ifrastructure support in my office (backups, antivirus, genral admin duties (gpo, DHCP, DNS, Active directory etc etc) and I also do ad-hoc file transfers.

I also use SQL server, powershell and migration tools alot as part of my role,

but I work in very small business where there isnt any other non development IT staff, so I kinda have to cover everything else :P lol

in a larger organisation though It might be purely support, I have a friend who works in such an organsiation which deals primarily with EPOS (shop till systems etc) and he usualy does helpdesk but now and then goes out to do instillations and field repairs so even larger organisations still have some variety.

I'm currently in the application process for a testing role which is applications testing involving some scripting (javascript/html/python) so obviously that appeals to me as I want to get into that kind of work (dev)

anyway I hope it all works out for you,

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending