The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5900
So the EFL Trophy draw has been made, getting excited about a midweek trip to play the Middlesbrough youth team Cambridge fans? Or maybe you're a Cheltenham fan and you're looking forward to a glamorous 'local' game playing front of 100 fans in Blackpool? Or maybe you're a Northampton or a Coventry fan and you're getting excited about a trip to the Olympic Stadium, except West Ham aren't actually playing any of their games at the Olympic Stadium...

Seriously what an absolute farce, for the first time I'm glad my team isn't a FL team anymore, maybe a few people would have turned up to see their team play a Man United Academy side, but who's going to turn up on a cold Tuesday night to see their team play against a Derby Academy side, the changes are just insulting to lower league clubs. It baffles me that EFL Trophy final at Wembley could in theory be Derby Youth team v Wolves Youth team :facepalm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Agreed. Absolutely appalling decision from all involved. Whilst, I can't say I've ever cared for the JPT (or whatever you want to call it), it gives a good opportunity for the lower division teams to have a good day out at Wembley and to get some silverware. Can't wait to see all of Chelsea's foreign young talent playing some other U21's in front of 10,000 at Wembely before they get shipped off to Vittese.
I see we have been given the patronising honour of playing the West Ham U21s. I would rather us not be in the competition at all than waste time with these fixtures.
Jackett out, Zenga in at Wolves. Now
if (Arsenal.relegated() ^ Wolves.promoted())
printf("Wenger meets Zenga!");
Original post by shawn_o1
Jackett out, Zenga in at Wolves. Nowif (Arsenal.relegated() ^ Wolves.promoted())
printf("Wenger meets Zenga!":wink:;
Swansea 4 Wolves 0

What a ****, a **** new manager too. Disaster so far and the squad doesnt have a hope of top 6. Survival is the aim.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Bolton charging away fans £30 this season. Christ.

Got to find some way not to be outnumbered in our own stadium.....
Buzzing for next week.

Although tbf July is the only time I'm ever optimistic about Leeds.
Wolves fans happiness never lasts longer than about 4 days so i'm not surprised by the majorities outrage at the appointment. Personally given the little information I know about him it isn't the smartest appointment but then again we aren't used to bringing in Benfica and Atletico players, so lets wait and see.

(If we lose 2-0 at Rotherham I will certainly be on a rant though!
Original post by hskjlclcn
Wolves fans happiness never lasts longer than about 4 days so i'm not surprised by the majorities outrage at the appointment. Personally given the little information I know about him it isn't the smartest appointment but then again we aren't used to bringing in Benfica and Atletico players, so lets wait and see.

Pre season is for dusting cobwebs and getting fit, that is why I don't pay any significance to the results (ours have been ok but nothing unexpected). This also extends into the first few games of the season, so I wouldn't ring the panic alarm too early, although that is par for the course in West Midlands football.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leeds set to sign ex Swansea man Pablo Hernandez at some point today or tomorrow. I honestly think we're Liam Bridcutt and a centre half away from being serious contenders for top 6.
Original post by Midlander
Pre season is for dusting cobwebs and getting fit, that is why I don't pay any significance to the results (ours have been ok but nothing unexpected). This also extends into the first few games of the season, so I wouldn't ring the panic alarm too early, although that is par for the course in West Midlands football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very true, West Midlands has to have at least 80% of supporters in constant meltdown to thrive.

Original post by The Wavefunction
Leeds set to sign ex Swansea man Pablo Hernandez at some point today or tomorrow. I honestly think we're Liam Bridcutt and a centre half away from being serious contenders for top 6.

Quality player, saw him down at the Liberty a few times, very surprised Swansea let him go when they did. Like the look of the team you're molding under Monk tbh!
Very true, West Midlands has to have at least 80% of supporters in constant meltdown to thrive.

Quality player, saw him down at the Liberty a few times, very surprised Swansea let him go when they did. Like the look of the team you're molding under Monk tbh!

Apparently when he's good, he's very very good, but can go missing on occasion. Yeah, the first 11 looks good, but a couple of injuries in key positions and we're struggling.

Have you signed that Talisca yet? Outrageous fee. I assume you're a Wolves supporter?
if it happens, Talisca would be more expensive than the record transfer of 20 years ago and for a second-tier club too...
Got no idea how good this guy is, but if I had £20mil I certainly wouldn't be spending it on one player, especially one from the Portuguese league. You could get a handful of proven championship players for that, which would be much more likely to get success. Sounds like something that's destined for failure..
Got no idea how good this guy is, but if I had £20mil I certainly wouldn't be spending it on one player, especially one from the Portuguese league. You could get a handful of proven championship players for that, which would be much more likely to get success. Sounds like something that's destined for failure..

Maybe the manager has been inspired by the Welsh Euro performance and decided to pin everything on one star player while getting the other 10 to cram in front of the goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe the manager has been inspired by the Welsh Euro performance and decided to pin everything on one star player while getting the other 10 to cram in front of the goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know Joe Allen is good, but he wouldn't have been able to do it without the likes of Bale, Ramsey, Williams etc.

In all seriousness, Bale was behind Allen and Ramsey in terms of performance at the euros. Qualifying was another story.
I know Joe Allen is good, but he wouldn't have been able to do it without the likes of Bale, Ramsey, Williams etc.

In all seriousness, Bale was behind Allen and Ramsey in terms of performance at the euros. Qualifying was another story.

Good point he only scored 2 free kicks from 40 yards.

I doubt we're signing him. The newspapers were all saying that he's in Wolverhampton to complete the deal. Apparently he's not even in the country.
20m for a championship player is ludicrous
I see we have been given the patronising honour of playing the West Ham U21s. I would rather us not be in the competition at all than waste time with these fixtures.

It's a pathetic idea and thank god it's only a one season trial. I think a lot of the clubs who voted for it were hoping that United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc would all take part as that would be a huge boost to their revenue. Would they have voted for it if it was Blackburn, Reading, Norwich reserves? Somehow I doubt it.

Just wait until February when you see Stoke reserves vs Chelsea reserves in front of 20k at Wembley.

agreed. Glad to see a fellow Wolves fan about.

Quick Reply

Latest