The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

University of Sussex 2014 offer holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mlabstudent
Hey guys. I know its a little early to be thinking about accommodation but I kind of want to be organised as its quite important to me that my accommodation is right. Basically I want an ensuite (like Lewes court phase 2 or northfield) but also want a really sociable halls, (I don't mean crazy, druggy parties but just a fun halls with nice, outgoing people). I've heard that the expensive ensuite halls have loads of older or international students in them, is that true? And if so does this mean that they're more quiet? Thanks :smile:

It really depends on your flatmates, some Northfield flats are really lively and there are loads of flat parties that occur so it'll never be quiet! Northfield is a bit more civilised compared to park house/park village/east slope but personally if you want the proper uni experience go for the cheaper halls :smile:

(Currently a first year Sussex student)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
why do you guys think they've been offering so many unconditional offers???

http://www.badgeronline.co.uk/flurry-sussex-applicants-receive-unconditional-offers/ this is pretty useful, it sounds like quite a few Uni's are offering more unconditional's this year but Sussex in particular because they need to keep interest even though they've been going down in the rank tables. I was a bit gutted because I was feeling all special getting my unconditional, but I can't really complain! I'm still going to firm it because I want to be by Brighton and they still do a really good course for my subject. Hopefully they'll go back up the rank tables in a few years anyway and people will forget this dip haha.

In answer to the first post, I'm 18 (going straight to Uni no gap year), studying social anthropology, offer was AAB but now unconditional :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by tashoare
http://www.badgeronline.co.uk/flurry-sussex-applicants-receive-unconditional-offers/ this is pretty useful, it sounds like quite a few Uni's are offering more unconditional's this year but Sussex in particular because they need to keep interest even though they've been going down in the rank tables. I was a bit gutted because I was feeling all special getting my unconditional, but I can't really complain! I'm still going to firm it because I want to be by Brighton and they still do a really good course for my subject. Hopefully they'll go back up the rank tables in a few years anyway and people will forget this dip haha.

In answer to the first post, I'm 18 (going straight to Uni no gap year), studying social anthropology, offer was AAB but now unconditional :smile:

Oh we're so similar! I'm 18 and also going straight to uni. i was studying international relations but have asked to change to politics and international relations as it's in your school instead of the school of global studies
Reply 23
Original post by shorttstuff
It really depends on your flatmates, some Northfield flats are really lively and there are loads of flat parties that occur so it'll never be quiet! Northfield is a bit more civilised compared to park house/park village/east slope but personally if you want the proper uni experience go for the cheaper halls :smile:

(Currently a first year Sussex student)

thanks for the advice!! where are your halls?
thanks for the advice!! where are your halls?

Lewes Court phase 1 :smile:
Reply 25
Hi I'm Becky, I'm 18 and I have an unconditional offer to study law with politics!
Reply 26
Original post by starryeyes1103
Everyone who is predicted at least AAA at A level (or equivalent) is being given an unconditional this year :smile:

Well, I have a conditional offer for Chemistry with Drug Design MChem and my predicted grades were A*AA, maybe the chem department was too oversubscribed, don't know
Original post by Olie123
Well, I have a conditional offer for Chemistry with Drug Design MChem and my predicted grades were A*AA, maybe the chem department was too oversubscribed, don't know

No one I know for chemistry has got an unconditional, practically everyone has had their offer lowered though. It really depends on each department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by jessjessjess18
As I am taking a gap year I have received unconditional offers for Psychology from both Exeter and Sussex university. I have always chose Sussex over Exeter as it offers a year studying in America - something I have always wanted to do!
However with the drop in league tables and Exeter being a Russell Group uni I am not sure if I am making the right decision?!
Anyone have any advice please?!

I have been deciding between the same 2, Sussex and Exeter! I would definitely recommend visiting them both if you haven't already, I'd say they are suited to very different people. This is the sense I got from both..
Exeter is much smaller, the campus is walking distance from the town so it all feels really cosy and it's a really pretty area. It also felt pretty prestigious and conservative... I don't know quite why, maybe it was the way the students talked/dressed.

Sussex is much bigger, you have to get the train/bus into Brighton but there is a lot more going on once you get there. Brighton's very liberal I think, you'll get a much bigger variety of people and it's known for being an arty sort of place. It's also on the beach which is a bonus.

Sussex is going down in the ranks and I think there's a lot of student protests going on there about cuts and stuff like that, so it's definitely more of a risk. I'm going for it anyway, mainly because when I went to Exeter I didn't feel like I quite fitted in and I absolutely love Brighton as a place, but also because my course is equally if not more highly regarded there despite the drops overall. Hope this helps out a bit :smile:
Reply 29
Firmed with unconditional offer for chemistry with ABC chemistry maths economics (gap year) 20 in September when term starts and from Chelmsford, Essex :smile: minus the Essex part, its shameful :frown:
Anyone heard from Biomed? I'm still waiting :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I have applied for 'English Literature' Undergrad at Sussex to start in September, I originally received an offer of A*BB/AAB but got a letter in the post today, telling me if I put them on UCAS as a firm choice I can get ABB and still start in Sep.
This makes me wonder-Why? I have taken a two-year gap from education and when friends applied a few years ago they had much more difficult offers.
Why such low entry requirements now?
Any advice/help?
Reply 32
Original post by marythestudent
Hi,
I have applied for 'English Literature' Undergrad at Sussex to start in September, I originally received an offer of A*BB/AAB but got a letter in the post today, telling me if I put them on UCAS as a firm choice I can get ABB and still start in Sep.
This makes me wonder-Why? I have taken a two-year gap from education and when friends applied a few years ago they had much more difficult offers.
Why such low entry requirements now?
Any advice/help?

I've heard that sussex is quite liberal Uni when it comes to its applicants, I've been away for 2 years and I know that my grades weren't the optimal asking and they gave me an essay to write for the which they are still considering. Maybe they see my potential. In your case however, it seems like they really want you there and it sounds like a strange way of garunteeing you go to there...tbh, I would be grateful for that lol, but that's just how I see the situation

Hope that maybe helped?
Original post by CHoCoH8r
I've heard that sussex is quite liberal Uni when it comes to its applicants, I've been away for 2 years and I know that my grades weren't the optimal asking and they gave me an essay to write for the which they are still considering. Maybe they see my potential. In your case however, it seems like they really want you there and it sounds like a strange way of garunteeing you go to there...tbh, I would be grateful for that lol, but that's just how I see the situation

Hope that maybe helped?

I guess...that makes me feel a little better, thanks!
Original post by starryeyes1103
I'm hopefully going to Sussex! My name's Lucy and I'm 17 (will be 18 by September) and will be studying English

Hi Lucy! I'm Mary and will be 20 ( :s-smilie: ) in September-also studying English, see you then! :biggrin:
Original post by marythestudent
Hi Lucy! I'm Mary and will be 20 ( :s-smilie: ) in September-also studying English, see you then! :biggrin:

Hi! I'm really looking forward to going to Sussex, it looks brilliant! Have you been to any of the open days and met people from the department?
Reply 36
Hello, I have applied for a degree in Anthropology and Sociology and I got offers from Exeter,Sussex and Soas Universities. I am currently really in doubt on which one to consider the most as one is a London City Uni whereas the other two are big campuses. In terms of my specific degree but also in terms of city life, geographical mobility and night life which one do you suggest me?
Reply 37
Hi, I'm Olie, I'll be hopefully studying chemistry for drug design at sussex in the autumn, anyone else joining me in science?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
I put Sussex as my insurance for medical neuroscience :biggrin:
Reply 39
EEEPP! Montana, 20, unconditional English lit and media studies (finally putting my name on this list :happy2:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending