The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

University of Sussex 2014 offer holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hb35
Firmed unconditional law. Really, really excited! I took a bit of an untraditional route and I studied for two years at St Andrews first before applying to Sussex. I'm having difficulty finding which might be the most social halls? About to fill out accomodation application.

Congratulations on your offer!
I'm currently in my second year at Sussex doing Law and I absolutely love it. Make sure you use the tutors as they are really helpful - you get all the support you want!
I would also advise you to join the Law Society. They became very active from when I joined Sussex and they got some of the best law firms to sponsor them, I think they also had quite a few events with barristers..The only downside is that membership is not free, but it is absolutely worth it! I saved the membership fee just by the discount when buying Winter Law Ball ticket!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 61
FAOBR e viriol, Brazilian or Portuguese, at least we'll be able to practice our dear mother language there!

Português: língua linda e maravilhosa <3
Reply 62
law with american studies anyone? I firmed a conditional offer AAA lowered to ABB :smile:
Reply 63
"A minha pátria é a língua portuguesa" :smile:
Reply 64
seems like a lot/most people are getting offers for ABB? i thought my ABB offer was pretty unusual but it seems they've lowered their entry requirements or something?
Reply 65
Original post by lmorgan95
seems like a lot/most people are getting offers for ABB? i thought my ABB offer was pretty unusual but it seems they've lowered their entry requirements or something?

They changed my offer from AAB to ABB as well. I think this applies to everyone who is predicted AAB I don't know why though
Reply 66
Original post by bambamx
They changed my offer from AAB to ABB as well. I think this applies to everyone who is predicted AAB I don't know why though

I'm only predicted BBB but they gave me an offer for ABB lol >.< i'm on track to get it hopefully but it seems a bit odd.
Do you know if they're normally lenient if you miss by 1 grade? Like if i got ABC
Reply 67
Original post by bambamx

Yeah, mine changed from AAB to ABB and my predictions were A*AA, not complaining to be honest, a little bit less pressure
Reply 68
I'm only predicted BBB but they gave me an offer for ABB lol >.< i'm on track to get it hopefully but it seems a bit odd.
Do you know if they're normally lenient if you miss by 1 grade? Like if i got ABC

that is a bit odd lol but they were probably impressed by your overall application or something. I don't know how lenient they are I was wondering about that too but I needed a B in gcse maths in order to do my course but i have a C so i emailed them about it beforehand and they said i probably won't get accepted but i applied anyway and ended up with a conditional offer. What course did you apply for?
Reply 69
Original post by bambamx
that is a bit odd lol but they were probably impressed by your overall application or something. I don't know how lenient they are I was wondering about that too but I needed a B in gcse maths in order to do my course but i have a C so i emailed them about it beforehand and they said i probably won't get accepted but i applied anyway and ended up with a conditional offer. What course did you apply for?

i applied for maths :smile: you?
Reply 70

marketing and management :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Olie123
Yeah, mine changed from AAB to ABB and my predictions were A*AA, not complaining to be honest, a little bit less pressure

It seems like they've just given everyone ABB offers or something :confused:
i'm curious if they will be more lenient with me if i miss it since it's above my predictions, but then again if they've given everyone the same offers they might not. Do you think they got less applicants this year or something?
also what have you applied for? :smile:

Hey! I'm a first year maths student at Sussex so if you have any questions feel free to PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm curious if they will be more lenient with me if i miss it since it's above my predictions, but then again if they've given everyone the same offers they might not. Do you think they got less applicants this year or something?

Speaking from inside, the university is trying to get more students at the moment, so certain schools will tend to give people offers which are lower than the stated entry requirements. It really depends on which admissions tutors have discretion over your application. The more academically minded professors will be hesitant to budge, but the higher their stature within the school (read: pay grade + administrative responsibilities), the more likely it is that they will lower requirements for you.

Your application also has a lot to do with it, of course, but it's not as if there's a purely meritocratic system at work here -- it is far more political than that.
Reply 74

Hi,
I don't have a clue on intake, I guess that they may have been watching closely on the visit days maybe.
If you miss by one grade, I'm pretty sure that you will still stand a good chance since they would rather have someone that has chosen Sussex over every other university but missed out by a grade than someone who isn't as passionate for going and hit the criteria.
I have applied for Chemistry for Drug Design by the way.
Original post by Olie123
Hi,
I don't have a clue on intake, I guess that they may have been watching closely on the visit days maybe.
If you miss by one grade, I'm pretty sure that you will still stand a good chance since they would rather have someone that has chosen Sussex over every other university but missed out by a grade than someone who isn't as passionate for going and hit the criteria.
I have applied for Chemistry for Drug Design by the way.

Original post by TentativeTitle
Speaking from inside, the university is trying to get more students at the moment, so certain schools will tend to give people offers which are lower than the stated entry requirements. It really depends on which admissions tutors have discretion over your application. The more academically minded professors will be hesitant to budge, but the higher their stature within the school (read: pay grade + administrative responsibilities), the more likely it is that they will lower requirements for you.

Your application also has a lot to do with it, of course, but it's not as if there's a purely meritocratic system at work here -- it is far more political than that.

I see, so if my worst case scenario is say getting ABC then i could still have decent chances of getting accepted? They said at the open day that they would normally be more lenient to those that had placed sussex as their firm and it's the only place i've applied for so i'm just a bit worried at the prospect of coming out with say A*CC or ABC and getting rejected :/
Hey everyone!

Theres a group set up for us here with a few of us other Sussex offer holders having a chat

https://www.facebook.com/groups/867271203284921
I've got an unconditional offer to do English Literature at Sussex which I'm 99% sure I'll be taking.

So yeah, hey to anyone going next year, may even see you around :tongue:.

Also what accommodations have people applied too? I've already done mine and my first pick was Lewes Court 2, does anyone have any information what its like? :smile:
Original post by MichaelB6
I've got an unconditional offer to do English Literature at Sussex which I'm 99% sure I'll be taking.

So yeah, hey to anyone going next year, may even see you around :tongue:.

Also what accommodations have people applied too? I've already done mine and my first pick was Lewes Court 2, does anyone have any information what its like? :smile:

I also have an unconditional offer to do English Literature, which I've accepted. I think you're the only other person I've seen on TSR doing English Lit!

I've applied for Northfield as my first choice, and I'm not quite sure if I looked around Lewes Court on the open day or not. I might be getting it confused with Park Village, but the ones I'm thinking of were quite nice, though a little bit cramped and there wasn't much social/shared space - it was good though. I might be thinking of the wrong place though anyway
Original post by starryeyes1103
I also have an unconditional offer to do English Literature, which I've accepted. I think you're the only other person I've seen on TSR doing English Lit!

I've applied for Northfield as my first choice, and I'm not quite sure if I looked around Lewes Court on the open day or not. I might be getting it confused with Park Village, but the ones I'm thinking of were quite nice, though a little bit cramped and there wasn't much social/shared space - it was good though. I might be thinking of the wrong place though anyway

Lewes Court is flats of 6 in big blocks and they have a kitchen/dining room/lounge. Whereas Park Village is houses of 12 with a tiny kitchen and no social space except from the social centre which is where the launderette is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending