The Student Room Group
i did my wrk experience in a hospital last year. i jus followed a doctor and went into day surgery and observed dat and went into dif depatments. u shld say wat u wanna see otherwise der gonna tell you to make tea for dem
Reply 2
Tempo
i did my wrk experience in a hospital last year. i jus followed a doctor and went into day surgery and observed dat and went into dif depatments. u shld say wat u wanna see otherwise der gonna tell you to make tea for dem

lol. Thanks for your reply.
What type of surgery were you watching and how old do you have to be to watch one? Where you nervous?
Reply 3
I did one week with a vascular firm, one week with a transplant firm, 2 weeks with my GP and 9 months volunteering in a hospice.

With the hospital based stuff we covered most of the bases - theatre, clinic, ward rounds, take, etc.

It was fab!
Reply 4
i hear hospitals are getting pretty up tight about letting visitors into places where there are patients just in case someone drops dead or bleeds or something and they get sued fro distress. I did some work ex at Addenbrookes in Cambridge - they were happy cos I found a dr that I wanted to shadow and he signed a form for me

squealer :smile:
Heidi
lol. Thanks for your reply.
What type of surgery were you watching and how old do you have to be to watch one? Where you nervous?

it was sick i saw the doctors squeeze puss out of a mans testicles, :eek: and saw a varicous vein being pulled out of a womans leg. i also helped wake up a patient under general anesthetic. he was proper out of it :confused: the doctor first asked me wat would you do if u saw a run over cat would you A. turn around B. look C. move it to the side of the road. to see if i were squeemish. all the doctors tried to persuade me not to do medicine dey sed it was a waste of time u get no respect from patients and people come in to the a and e ward with minor injuries. like a kid came in cause he was sunburnt, and a man called an ambulance cause he ran out of aspirins. wat a nobend. you have to be over 16 and sign a form saying that you cant tell ne1 about wat surgery u saw and the names of patients. ooppppps to late.
Reply 6
Tempo
it was sick i saw the doctors squeeze puss out of a mans testicles, :eek: and saw a varicous vein being pulled out of a womans leg. i also helped wake up a patient under general anesthetic. he was proper out of it :confused: the doctor first asked me wat would you do if u saw a run over cat would you A. turn around B. look C. move it to the side of the road. to see if i were squeemish. all the doctors tried to persuade me not to do medicine dey sed it was a waste of time u get no respect from patients and people come in to the a and e ward with minor injuries. like a kid came in cause he was sunburnt, and a man called an ambulance cause he ran out of aspirins. wat a nobend. you have to be over 16 and sign a form saying that you cant tell ne1 about wat surgery u saw and the names of patients. ooppppps to late.

thanks, for sharing your experience, now i sorta know what to expect. But
i definitely do not wanna see any testicles when I get to see surgery. I don't mind about varicose veins but puss in testicles yucky, eeew. Sorry if I sound a little squeemish, but you had some very detalied descriptions. How different is it to see surgery on tv rather that right in front of you? I don't get squeemish at all when i see surgeries being performed on tv.
That 's definitely so stupid that ppl come in for minor injuries. I especially can't believe someone would call the hospital for aspirins. that is absolutely pathetic. So did you change your decision of becoming a doctor? Are doing your A levels right now?
thanks again for your reply. i really appreciate it.
Heidi
thanks, for sharing your experience, now i sorta know what to expect. But
i definitely do not wanna see any testicles when I get to see surgery. I don't mind about varicose veins but puss in testicles yucky, eeew. Sorry if I sound a little squeemish, but you had some very detalied descriptions. How different is it to see surgery on tv rather that right in front of you? I don't get squeemish at all when i see surgeries being performed on tv.
That 's definitely so stupid that ppl come in for minor injuries. I especially can't believe someone would call the hospital for aspirins. that is absolutely pathetic. So did you change your decision of becoming a doctor? Are doing your A levels right now?
thanks again for your reply. i really appreciate it.

nope. since i was young ive always been interested in medicine and still am and seeing the lack in doctors persuaded me more to do it. im doin my as' and got exams in summer how about u. if u wanna be a doctor i wouldnt watch er it makes u think about medicine in the wrong way. ( well thats wat i was told by a doctor ). watchin real life surgery is way betta up front like wen the doctors were operating they had magic and classical radio on. so its very dif compared to the ones on tv.
Reply 8
Tempo
nope. since i was young ive always been interested in medicine and still am and seeing the lack in doctors persuaded me more to do it. im doin my as' and got exams in summer how about u. if u wanna be a doctor i wouldnt watch er it makes u think about medicine in the wrong way. ( well thats wat i was told by a doctor ). watchin real life surgery is way betta up front like wen the doctors were operating they had magic and classical radio on. so its very dif compared to the ones on tv.

I'm doing AS right now also. I'm very nervous about the upcoming exams, especially the chemistry practical. i wasn't here for most of the practicals we've done b/c I just moved here from Florida. And I definitely find the A-level exams harder compared to the exams we have in America.
I was talking about real-life surgery on tv and not acted out doc shows like ER (even though it is pretty good). Oh yeah I did here about how some doctors put on music while they are operating on a surgeons. they must really enjoy their job I guess.
Well thanks for replying again, Tempo. :wink:
Heidi
I'm doing AS right now also. I'm very nervous about the upcoming exams, especially the chemistry practical. i wasn't here for most of the practicals we've done b/c I just moved here from Florida. And I definitely find the A-level exams harder compared to the exams we have in America.
I was talking about real-life surgery on tv and not acted out doc shows like ER (even though it is pretty good). Oh yeah I did here about how some doctors put on music while they are operating on a surgeons. they must really enjoy their job I guess.
Well thanks for replying again, Tempo. :wink:

practicals are minor u shldnt worry about dem jus copy wat othas do in ur class dats wat i did and got a pretty gd mark.
Reply 10
Tempo
practicals are minor u shldnt worry about dem jus copy wat othas do in ur class dats wat i did and got a pretty gd mark.

thanks for all your help. I may try to take a quick glimpse on the other girls if i really am stuck. :smile:
Reply 11
I did a bit of volunteering in A&E which was fun last year and then got a position on the bank nurse training course so now i get paid to be a bank nurse, which is great for experience too.
Reply 12
Heidi
has anyone done any hospital work experience? I just wanted to know what you were assigned to do and what to expect caus' I'm gonna be doing it in June. :wink:

I volunteered for a while in A&E, it was really good and i got to do quite a bit. To begin with i was running errons most of the time but once i had been there for a bit i got to do more cos the team knew me better.
I then decided i wanted more responsability so i went in for the bank nurse training. Thats somit you could do if u wanted?

Latest

Trending

Trending