The Student Room Group

Stroop Effect

Are there any gender differences with the stroop effect?
What's a stroop effect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise996
Are there any gender differences with the stroop effect?

There is absolutely loads of research which makes use of the Stroop task! I'd recommend using google scholar to search gender differences in stroop test performance to see if any studies have revealed such an effect.

Another thing for you to consider would be performance on the emotional stroop tasks. I actually wonder whether this paradigm could be adapted to investigate gender stereotypes...
Reply 3
Original post by Magdatrix >_<
There is absolutely loads of research which makes use of the Stroop task! I'd recommend using google scholar to search gender differences in stroop test performance to see if any studies have revealed such an effect.

Another thing for you to consider would be performance on the emotional stroop tasks. I actually wonder whether this paradigm could be adapted to investigate gender stereotypes...

Thanks, could you expand on this please? What are emotional stroop tasks? how are they carried out?
Reply 4
Original post by precious maro
What's a stroop effect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wikipedia explains it better than I do :colondollar:

'In psychology, the Stroop effect is a demonstration of interference in the reaction time of a task. When the name of a color (e.g., "blue," "green," or "red") is printed in a color not denoted by the name (e.g., the word "red" printed in blue ink instead of red ink), naming the color of the word takes longer and is more prone to errors than when the color of the ink matches the name of the color.'
Original post by Louise996
Thanks, could you expand on this please? What are emotional stroop tasks? how are they carried out?

In an emotional stroop task you can look for differences in how people respond to different types of words. E.g you can compare the reaction times of responses to negative-emotion words, with those of positive-emotion words.

In the same way you can investigate how the salience/personal importance of a word affects how quickly people process the word/identify it's colour.

To your original question about gender differences, I would hazard a guess that gender differences would be more likely in this type of stroop task variant (i.e. one which targets something which could differ between male/female participants) than in the standard stroop task, because gender differences probably would not lead to differences in pure reading time/colour naming.
Reply 6
Original post by Magdatrix >_<
In an emotional stroop task you can look for differences in how people respond to different types of words. E.g you can compare the reaction times of responses to negative-emotion words, with those of positive-emotion words.

In the same way you can investigate how the salience/personal importance of a word affects how quickly people process the word/identify it's colour.

To your original question about gender differences, I would hazard a guess that gender differences would be more likely in this type of stroop task variant (i.e. one which targets something which could differ between male/female participants) than in the standard stroop task, because gender differences probably would not lead to differences in pure reading time/colour naming.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending