The Student Room Group

gap year ideas?

Hi, I am taking a gap year before university and thinking about travelling, but I'm nervous about it. :frown: I would like to go on a program with other people my age because I would be going on my own. Does anyone know any good companies or projects? Has anyone had a good gap year experience? (I'm interested in conservation and animals in particular, but I like culture/ languages as well and I just want some sort of adventure:smile:)
Reply 1
Original post by ssophie5
Hi, I am taking a gap year before university and thinking about travelling, but I'm nervous about it. :frown: I would like to go on a program with other people my age because I would be going on my own. Does anyone know any good companies or projects? Has anyone had a good gap year experience? (I'm interested in conservation and animals in particular, but I like culture/ languages as well and I just want some sort of adventure:smile:)

You could make your own gap year package
Reply 2
Google it up. Loads of groups/ charities / projects doing it. Wills and Kate both went to Chile (coincidence obviously)
Reply 3
I've been researching gap year options, and it seems a lot of tours are just a more expensive way of travelling. Where do you want to go? There's a good backpacker trail in South East Asia, and a lot of volunteer opportunities in South America.
Reply 4
If you find any tell me! Really want to go travelling before I go to university.
Reply 5
Hey! I'm doing a gap year too, I'm trying to sort out an internship for part of the year, but I really want to go travelling before and after it! All my friends are going straight to uni though, so I'm looking for someone to travel with, and I think the companies are a bit expensive...I'd much rather plan my own adventure!
Reply 6
Original post by badlands
I've been researching gap year options, and it seems a lot of tours are just a more expensive way of travelling. Where do you want to go? There's a good backpacker trail in South East Asia, and a lot of volunteer opportunities in South America.

Thanks, where did you find those?
Reply 7
Original post by anakg28
Hey! I'm doing a gap year too, I'm trying to sort out an internship for part of the year, but I really want to go travelling before and after it! All my friends are going straight to uni though, so I'm looking for someone to travel with, and I think the companies are a bit expensive...I'd much rather plan my own adventure!

That's the same with me, all my friends are going to uni. That's why I'd probably prefer to do an organised group thing, so I won't be on my own.
Reply 8
That's the same with me, all my friends are going to uni. That's why I'd probably prefer to do an organised group thing, so I won't be on my own.

Yeah I definitely don't want to go travelling alone! Though I think if I planned my own trip, I'd have more freedom about where and when I want to go places - that way it would be exactly what I wanted :smile:
Current au pair here - it's a great way to travel in an affordable manner! Feel free to PM me if you're interested or have any questions :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Why don't you create a TSR gap year group?

It's not a program but Interrrailing in Europe looks amazing, I'll be doing it very soon
Reply 12
Hi, I'm on a gap year at the moment, Last July I went to South Africa with Gap 360, It was the best thing I have ever done but it was quite expensive for a month. They were a really good company and the do loads of other trips.
Im also about to go to Australia to do au pairing :smile:
Good luck with deciding what to do on your gap year, youll have an amazing time whatever you do

Quick Reply

Latest