The Student Room Group

Unsure whether to mention religion in my personal statement?

Should I mention how I am Christian and have volunteered at my church for the last 6 years in my personal statement for medicine? I don't know whether it will go against me...? :/

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying to Cambridge or Oxford (haven't decided yet!), Imperial College, Manchester and Bristol.
Reply 2
why would it? don't make a big deal of it but the fact you have been volunteering in the community for 6 years would work to your advantage
Original post by Le.Bambi
Should I mention how I am Christian and have volunteered at my church for the last 6 years in my personal statement for medicine? I don't know whether it will go against me...? :/

Thanks

Is the volunteering relevant to medicine? If not, leave it out and replace it with work experience that is relevant. Space is too short to waste. Your religion has no direct connection to medicine and could be taking up valuable characters you could use to sell yourself more directly.
Reply 4
I don't know, you know how some people are... :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Le.Bambi

Thanks

Of course you can!
(political views on the other hand, steer clear!)

But you don't really need to say "I am a Christian and I have volunteered at my Church..."
That part is sort of self-explanatory. You could just drop the volunteering in naturally like; "...which I have developed and nurtured during my six years of volunteering for my Church".

Spoiler

Reply 6
No need to mention you are Christian. All that you need to say is that you volunteered in a church.
If you've been volunteering in a Church it's fairly obvious that you're a Christian, so just state what you've been doing, and make it relevant to medicine.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Is the volunteering relevant to medicine? If not, leave it out and replace it with work experience that is relevant. Space is too short to waste. Your religion has no direct connection to medicine and could be taking up valuable characters you could use to sell yourself more directly.

Don't pay any attention to me LOL. I obviously know very little on the matter. :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Llewellyn_J
I disagree with this. How many people at pre-university age have done work experience related to medicine? A negligible amount. Any work experience or volunteering is a plus at this early stage in your life when applying to uni. It shows you are proactive and not just idle in your free time. Qualities in a student that universities value immensely.

There is no need to specifically mention you are a Christian. Talking about religion in this situation is inappropriate. Just say you volunteered in a church community without re-affirming your faith. To me, you might come across as a bit high and mighty, mentioning it as if being a Christian is somehow relevant to your university application, and might put you ahead.

Every single medical applicant has. It's basically a requirement.
I disagree with this. How many people at pre-university age have done work experience related to medicine? A negligible amount. Any work experience or volunteering is a plus at this early stage in your life when applying to uni. It shows you are proactive and not just idle in your free time. Qualities in a student that universities value immensely.

Quite a lot of those with a serious intention to apply for medicine in fact, and for those who can't get medical related volunteering (which is difficult for the under 16s for sure) then it is expected that they demonstrate regular and sustained commitment to something involving caring for others in some way. If the church volunteering ticks this box (visiting the sick, helping old parishioners and so forth) then that is absolutely fine. If it's arranging the flowers in the church, it's not going to prove anything about the applicant's suitability for medicine.
Original post by alow
Every single medical applicant has. It's basically a requirement.

Seriously? I was always under the impression that work experience was something they did after university. Like a work placement or something. Shows how much I know then. Don't pay any attention to me.
Reply 12
Seriously? I was always under the impression that work experience was something they did after university. Shows how much I know then. Don't pay any attention to me.

You're expected to have done months of volunteering and weeks of work experience.
Seriously? I was always under the impression that work experience was something they did after university. Like a work placement or something. Shows how much I know then. Don't pay any attention to me.

If you have any intention of being a medical student, then you need to have started volunteering in year 11.
Reply 14

Yeah. I'm not a medic but some of my friends are and they have to have so much work experience.

Then there's me in the corner (theology applicant and no I don't want to be a priest afterwards) who has no relevant work experience at all :tongue:
Reply 15
Im atheist and therefore i wouldnt volunteer for a church so, i think it speaks for itself that u are christian if u do. i dont think u need to waste characters literally saying ur Christian, just say a bit about the work u did and how u helped people etc, that will look great especially for medicine =) good luck mate
LOL. Well you learn something new every day. Next time I will make sure I know about something before I comment on it.
Reply 17
So do people normally start PS drafts and stuff this early ? (serious question btw)
LOL. Well you learn something new every day. Next time I will make sure I know about something before I comment on it.

Here's some rep for showing a quality unusual on TSR!
Original post by ryanb97
So do people normally start PS drafts and stuff this early ? (serious question btw)

If you are sure what you want to do, then knocking out a rough draft now does no harm, but it will need updating and refining a lot before it goes off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending