The Student Room Group

please suggest some books. i cant find any that i seem to like anymore?

hey, first of all thanks for looking at this thread. anyway, my reading really blossomed over the past few years and i essentially became a reading machine and now i cant find any books i seem to like, please suggest some?

the books which i have read (And liked) go along these lines:
BZRK series
HUNGER, LIGHT (the series by Michael Grant)
Kingkiller Chronicles
Eragon
(found Harry Potter OK)
Young Samurai
Vampirates
Cirque De freak (darren shan)
Skullduggery pleasant
chris ryans books. basically all of them
blood ninja
song of ice and fire (game of thrones)
and a lot more.

anyway, i would love it if you could suggest a book series (or multiple book series!) for me to read i would really appreciate that.

if anything, the book must be very good, it must have a decent pace, decent detail and a good interesting story. the Kingkiller chronicles are a perfect example of this, thanks!

Thanks!
(i have also considered reading the Wheel of time)

Scroll to see replies

Why not the Demonata series by Darren Shan if you liked Cirque du Freak.

Bartimaeus Trilogy by Stroud is good, fantasy, which seems to be a genre you are into. Garth Nix might also be to your liking, the Old Kingdom series and the Keys to the Kingdom series are excellent.

If you want to get into high fantasy you could look at LOTR though the pacing might not be to your liking :smile: Other classics would be His Dark Materials or the Chronicles of Narnia.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks for your great suggestions.

but alas, this is exactly my problem. i have read the demonata series and it was a good series.

i also found the bartimaeus trilogy quite good to read, i have thoroughly read Garth nix's books (is it me or was Lirael really slow?).

i read LOTR, and as you said the pacing almost killed me.

thanks for the suggestions again but i have read those series :frown:
Reply 3
Have you read Lord of the Rings?
Also I recommend Across the Nightingale floor if you liked young samurai.
Try the Dystopian genre- books such as Divergent
Reply 4
i have read Lord of the ring (LOTR).
i havent come across Across the Nightingale floor though.
i am pretty sure i have read divergent, thanks for the suggestions i look forward to reading Across the nightingale floor!
Original post by kelefi
thanks for your great suggestions.

but alas, this is exactly my problem. i have read the demonata series and it was a good series.

i also found the bartimaeus trilogy quite good to read, i have thoroughly read Garth nix's books (is it me or was Lirael really slow?).

i read LOTR, and as you said the pacing almost killed me.

thanks for the suggestions again but i have read those series :frown:

:lol: Ahh this is the problem trying to recommend books to people who have read a lot! Yeah, Lirael was quite a bit slower than the other two, but I actually lost that book at some point and wanted to re-read it for ages!

I suffer from this and now just go down to my local bookshop and read blurbs until I find one that is interesting :smile: I've branched out into other genres (I used to read mostly fantasy) but not as much as I'd like and I don't really know if they would interest you :dontknow:
Reply 6
ah its nice to meet another bookaholic!

i would love to hear some of your suggestions, i have dabbled in other genres so i think i might as well read some more.

when i go looking for books in my bookshop i am there for hours reading blurbs! maybe if you could list a few good fantasy books you have read> thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by kelefi
i have read Lord of the ring (LOTR).
i havent come across Across the Nightingale floor though.
i am pretty sure i have read divergent, thanks for the suggestions i look forward to reading Across the nightingale floor!

I realised after that you have read it.
Some other books you might want to try:
Poison study
The way of shadows
Graceling
Spider's bite
Reply 8
Original post by kelefi
ah its nice to meet another bookaholic!

i would love to hear some of your suggestions, i have dabbled in other genres so i think i might as well read some more.

when i go looking for books in my bookshop i am there for hours reading blurbs! maybe if you could list a few good fantasy books you have read> thanks!

Same here.
Join goodreads.com, quicker to read blurbs
Reply 9
oh i have not come across those titles! i think those will keep me occupied for a short time.

thanks people. keep the suggestions coming! :biggrin:

(it might help if i told you my reading speed. i read the eragon series in 3 days. young samurai in 3 days. cirque de freak in 2. skullduggery in 4. so i will need quite a few series to keep me occupied :smile:)
You seem to like sci-fi/horror books, so this may not fit.
But I STRONGLY recommend books by John Green.
Especially The Fault In Our Stars, which I am only 4 chapters into and think is amazing already! Different to your average book, quite intellectual and VERY well written
Reply 11
oh ok! thanks i might as well read it :smile:
Reply 12
Wool trilogy. Hugh Howey!
Reply 13
will read that!

has anyone read kingkiller chronicles (unfinished series)?

if so, then if there are any books that come close to it please suggest it here. (but i doubt any books are even close to the masterpiece which is the life story of Kvothe!)
Reply 14
Original post by kelefi
x

i too recommend Across the Nightingale floor
Original post by kelefi
hey, first of all thanks for looking at this thread. anyway, my reading really blossomed over the past few years and i essentially became a reading machine and now i cant find any books i seem to like, please suggest some?

the books which i have read (And liked) go along these lines:
BZRK series
HUNGER, LIGHT (the series by Michael Grant)
Kingkiller Chronicles
Eragon
(found Harry Potter OK)
Young Samurai
Vampirates
Cirque De freak (darren shan)
Skullduggery pleasant
chris ryans books. basically all of them
blood ninja
song of ice and fire (game of thrones)
and a lot more.

anyway, i would love it if you could suggest a book series (or multiple book series!) for me to read i would really appreciate that.

if anything, the book must be very good, it must have a decent pace, decent detail and a good interesting story. the Kingkiller chronicles are a perfect example of this, thanks!

Thanks!
(i have also considered reading the Wheel of time)

demonata
Icemark chronicles
infinite days by rebbeca maizel
skulduggerry series
to kill a mockingbird
book thief
cherub
vampire academy
ink heart trilogy
darkside
divergent series
hunger games trilogy
enigma machine
immortal instruments
city of ember
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
thanks!

cant wait to have a few series to read!
His dark materials

Stephen King's dark tower series

You might like 'the sword of shannara' and 'sword of truth' series's as well.

Out of fantasy, the Book Thief is fantastic!
Reply 18
cool! i look forward to reading those!
thanks!
Inheritance Cycle, His Dark Materials trilogy...
And try 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret' - it's not what one would expect from a typical book, but I think it's quite brilliant - go check it out :biggrin:

Happy reading :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending