The Student Room Group

Mature student with NO GCSEs or A levels but with very solid 2:1 degree, needs help?

Hi everyone.

I am a mature student who has recently completed a BA accounting and finance from an ex-ploy university, and got a high 2:1 (67.2% overall mark, in my third year). I was born outside UK and came to Britain in 2000, to escape from the long-standing civil war (?) which commenced when I was just four years old and continues still today in my country (I am now 30). When I came to the UK, I was 15 years old with no educational background whatsoever. When I arrived I was enrolled to a high school in East London. Not even able to write my own name and I was put in year 10 and a year after the school was over, and headed to college.

During my time in school, I was exposed to my first learning environment and it was great. Sadly, even though the school had allowed me to take the GCSEs examinations, I didn't pass any subject. Thanks to my father who went to Britain's most prestigious university, London School Economics and did his BA accounting and finance (with a first) in 1982, and postgraduate economics at Oxford University, continued to gave me and my siblings a home schooling. Soon after the end of high school I enrolled AAT at college and completed up to level 3.

From 2005 to 2010 I left school and started working. since then I have done many different low level jobs ( cleaning, warehousing, mostly through agency).

In 2010 I decided to change my life and enrolled into a university. From my first year at university to my final year, I have doing 42 hours of private revision every week for 6 days, even in my summer holidays. I remember in some weeks sleeping fewer then four hours.

Yesterday I received my exam results and it was great. According to my module marks from my second to third year, 8/12 of my marks were above 76, some were even above the 80s. I was really aiming to get first class honours to avoid the UCAS paradox, but I have missed it by a hair.

My university has told me that my degree classification is a high 2:1 (67% which is based the result in my third year only, because of my university's regulations awarding degrees to students based either on their second or third year whichever is higher).

I am really sorry for my English which I am still trying to improve. My dear friends, I think I have written enough about myself for you to comment and give advice.

First I would like to ask you, am I doing well or not?

Do you think that the fact that I do not have a GCSEs or A levels will hold me back or even make my degree worthless?. I remember when I was at university, particularly in my second and third year, as part of our exam revision, helping so many of my follow students with 3 As at levels. One of my friends even had 5 As at levels and simply opted not to go to a top university because his parents didn't wanted him to go outside London. I have seen his A level exam certificate and it was real.

My final question is, should I start GCSEs and A levels courses now?. I am sure I will get As especially in maths and further mathematics. But the idea of doing GCSEs and A level for another two to three years is really backing me off.

Please is there any hope for a person like me?. I don't want to go back doing street cleaning jobs and warehousing again. TSR Help me Please!!!!!!!!!!

Many thank​s!
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think GCSE or A-levels matter after you have obtained a higher qualification, ie a bachelor degree.

As for whether you can find a job: A lot of graduates have troubles finding jobs, regardless of their results or the universities they were from, so it was never a guarantee. Your proficiency in English may hold you back from getting hired in some places even though it's perfectly comprehensible.
Just in case you want to know...

Hi everyone.

I am a mature student who has recently completed a BA accounting and finance from an ex-ploy university, and got a high 2:1 (67.2% overall mark, in my third year). I am was born outside UK and came to Britain in 2000, to escape from the long-standing civil war (?) which commenced when I was just four years old and continues still today in my country (I am now 30). When I came to the UK, I was 15 years old with no educational background whatsoever. When I arrived I was enrolled to a high school in East London. Not even able to write my own name and I was put in year 10 and a year after the school was over. (?)

During my time in school, I was exposed to my first learning environment and it was great. Sadly, even though the school had allowed me to take the GCSEs examinations, I didn't pass any subject. Thanks to my father who went to Britain's most prestigious university, London School Economics (don't think LSE is the most prestigious university), and did his BA accounting and finance (with a first) in 1982, and postgraduate economics at Oxford University, continued to gave me and my siblings a home schooling. Soon after the end of high school I enrolled AAT at college and completed up to level 3.

From 2005 to 20010 I left school and started working. since then I have done many different low level jobs ( cleaning, warehousing, mostly through agency).

In 2010 I decided to change my life and enrolled into a university. From my first year at university to my final year, I have been done 42 hours of private revision every week for 6 days, even in my summer holidays. I remember in some weeks sleeping fewer then four hours.

Yesterday I received my exam results and it was great. According to my module marks from my second to third year, 8/12 of my marks were above 76, some were even above the 80s. I was really aiming to get first class honours to avoid the UCAS paradox, but I have missed it by a hair.

My university has told me that my degree classification is a high 2:1 (67% which is based the result in my third year only, because of my university's regulations awarding degrees to students based either on their second or third year whichever is higher).

I am really sorry for my English which I am still trying to improve. My dear friends, I think I have written enough about myself for you to comment and give advice.

Do you think that the fact that I do not have a GCSEs or A levels will hold me back or even make my degree worthless?. I remember when I was at university, particularly in my second and third year, as part of our exam revision, helping so many of my follow students with 3 As at levels. (?) One of my friends even had 5 As at levels and simply opted not to go to a top university because his parents didn't wanted him to go outside (of what?). I have seen his A level exam certificate and it was real.

My final question is, should I start GCSEs and A levels courses now?. I am sure I will get As especially in maths and further mathematics. But the idea of doing GCSEs and A level for another two to three years is really backing me off.

Please is there any hope for a person like me?. I don't want to go back doing street cleaning jobs and warehousing again. TSR Help me Please!!!!!!!!!!

Many thank​s!
Reply 3
Original post by clh_hilary

Hi Many thanks, good job.
Reply 4
Original post by Apologetic Cube
Given that you now have an undergraduate degree, your high-school education is largely irrelevant. I would be surprised if, in any job application process, your GCSE and A-Levels grades had any real bearing on whether you got the job.

As for "whether you're doing good", that largely depends on what is it you're looking to do. Could you elaborate on your career intentions?

My aim is to do ACCA and complete it within two years. Is it possible?.
Reply 5
Original post by awdal26
Hi everyone.

I am a mature student who has recently completed a BA accounting and finance from an ex-ploy university, and got a high 2:1 (67.2% overall mark, in my third year). I am was born outside UK and came to Britain in 2000, to escape from the long-standing civil war (?) which commenced when I was just four years old and continues still today in my country (I am now 30). When I came to the UK, I was 15 years old with no educational background whatsoever. When I arrived I was enrolled to a high school in East London. Not even able to write my own name and I was put in year 10 and a year after the school was over. (?)

During my time in school, I was exposed to my first learning environment and it was great. Sadly, even though the school had allowed me to take the GCSEs examinations, I didn't pass any subject. Thanks to my father who went to Britain's most prestigious university, London School Economics (don't think LSE is the most prestigious university), and did his BA accounting and finance (with a first) in 1982, and postgraduate economics at Oxford University, continued to gave me and my siblings ahome schooling. Soon after the end of high school I enrolled AAT at college and completed up to level 3.

From 2005 to 20010 I left school and started working. since then I have done many different low level jobs ( cleaning, warehousing, mostly through agency).

In 2010 I decided to change my life and enrolled into a university. From my first year at university to my final year, I have been done 42 hours of private revision every week for 6 days, even in my summer holidays. I remember in some weeks sleeping fewer then four hours.

Do you think that the fact that I do not have a GCSEs or A levels will hold me back or even make my degree worthless?. I remember when I was at university, particularly in my second and third year, as part of our exam revision, helping so many of my follow students with 3 As at levels. (?) One of my friends even had 5 As at levels and simply opted not to go to a top university because his parents didn't wanted him to go outside (of what?). I have seen his A level exam certificate and it was real.

Many thank​s!

I have to say that you're doing exceptionally well it isn't always easy moving to different countries. I myself moved to the UK not long ago and went through the same obstacles as yourself, but this did not stop me from progressing in life. I went through high school and failed most of my GCSEs it was very difficult for me especially learning the language. I carried around a dictionary with me throughout my school years whilst receiving extra help to improve my English.

I have come a long way now and have recently entered my first year of university hoping to achieve a 2:1 like yourself. Keep going you're doing really well hopefully you can now find a career which you will enjoy. My English isn't the best either but don't let that become a boundary for yourself be proud of your achievements. I respect you not many people could of done the same as what you have done you've stuck out through thick and thin.

You inspire me! :biggrin:
Original post by awdal26
Hi Many thanks, good job.

You're welcome.
Reply 7

There are still mistakes in there ...
It seems like you have had to struggle quite a bit to reach where you are at. Its actually quite impressive how you have had to get on with so many handicaps.

All that notwithstanding, the economy is in a right old mess and jobs are hard to come by. Many people are in a position you are in.

Though literally no one would have a background such as yours and you can use this to your advantage. I would suggest going for a higher degree in accounting and finance in the US or the UK and telling them all about your struggle thus far and perhaps asking for financial aid as well. Its not a sure thing of course but you do stand a chance and it would bring added value to your CV. It might even land you a job you may never be able to gain otherwise; higher degrees are becoming a necessity nowadays. I don't know if fulbright caters to 30 year olds but there are loads of scholarship programmes out there for UK/EU students out there. Give it a try!
Original post by EastGuava
There are still mistakes in there ...

Well you cannot expect a perfect version for free. :cool:
Reply 10
Original post by Black Cat
I have to say that you're doing exceptionally well it isn't always easy moving to different countries. I myself moved to the UK not long ago and went through the same obstacles as yourself, but this did not stop me from progressing in life. I went through high school and failed most of my GCSEs it was very difficult for me especially learning the language. I carried around a dictionary with me throughout my school years whilst receiving extra help to improve my English.

I have come a long way now and have recently entered my first year of university hoping to achieve a 2:1 like yourself. Keep going you're doing really well hopefully you can now find a career which you will enjoy. My English isn't the best either but don't let that become a boundary for yourself be proud of your achievements. I respect you not many people could of done the same as what you have done you've stuck out through thick and thin.

You inspire me! :biggrin:

Black Cat, thanks you. I hope you to succeed at Uni. Mature students are more capable of getting 2:1s or more because they know the reality. Just revise and always revise and it will pay it off one day for you.
Reply 11
I don't think GCSE or A-levels matter after you have obtained a higher qualification, ie a bachelor degree

Plenty of grad schemes ask for your UCAS point total, often wanting 320 or higher. I had pretty meh A Levels and I thought I could escape them by getting a good degree classification, but that's not the case.
Reply 12
Original post by The Owl of Minerva
It seems like you have had to struggle quite a bit to reach where you are at. Its actually quite impressive how you have had to get on with so many handicaps.

All that notwithstanding, the economy is in a right old mess and jobs are hard to come by. Many people are in a position you are in.

Though literally no one would have a background such as yours and you can use this to your advantage. I would suggest going for a higher degree in accounting and finance in the US or the UK and telling them all about your struggle thus far and perhaps asking for financial aid as well. Its not a sure thing of course but you do stand a chance and it would bring added value to your CV. It might even land you a job you may never be able to gain otherwise; higher degrees are becoming a necessity nowadays. I don't know if fulbright caters to 30 year olds but there are loads of scholarship programmes out there for UK/EU students out there. Give it a try!

Thank you for your advise and I will try to look for postgraduate courses. I never though that I was doing good, still to this day I feel that I am a bit late and behind others. for my struggle only my family and few professors at my university knew it. For example for my teachers they could not believed when they saw my performance. And For the Studentroom I have only told a very small part of my story. Sometimes I contemplate that it is a worthy for a publication.
Original post by xDave-
Plenty of grad schemes ask for your UCAS point total, often wanting 320 or higher. I had pretty meh A Levels and I thought I could escape them by getting a good degree classification, but that's not the case.

Oh that's interesting. I wasn't asked by the five schools I applied to (Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Institute of Education, King's). IOE asked about school-leaving qualifications but not the actual scores.
Original post by awdal26
Hi everyone.

I am a mature student who has recently completed a BA accounting and finance from an ex-ploy university, and got a high 2:1 (67.2% overall mark, in my third year). I was born outside UK and came to Britain in 2000, to escape from the long-standing civil war (?) which commenced when I was just four years old and continues still today in my country (I am now 30). When I came to the UK, I was 15 years old with no educational background whatsoever. When I arrived I was enrolled to a high school in East London. Not even able to write my own name and I was put in year 10 and a year after the school was over, and headed to college.

During my time in school, I was exposed to my first learning environment and it was great. Sadly, even though the school had allowed me to take the GCSEs examinations, I didn't pass any subject. Thanks to my father who went to Britain's most prestigious university, London School Economics and did his BA accounting and finance (with a first) in 1982, and postgraduate economics at Oxford University, continued to gave me and my siblings a home schooling. Soon after the end of high school I enrolled AAT at college and completed up to level 3.

From 2005 to 2010 I left school and started working. since then I have done many different low level jobs ( cleaning, warehousing, mostly through agency).

In 2010 I decided to change my life and enrolled into a university. From my first year at university to my final year, I have doing 42 hours of private revision every week for 6 days, even in my summer holidays. I remember in some weeks sleeping fewer then four hours.

Do you think that the fact that I do not have a GCSEs or A levels will hold me back or even make my degree worthless?. I remember when I was at university, particularly in my second and third year, as part of our exam revision, helping so many of my follow students with 3 As at levels. One of my friends even had 5 As at levels and simply opted not to go to a top university because his parents didn't wanted him to go outside London. I have seen his A level exam certificate and it was real.

Many thank​s!

Well this is absolutely heart warming and truly inspiring. I think you have done extremely well, I wouldn't worry about your GCSE's or A-levels to be honest. I would have said, maybe you should consider doing just GCSE English and Maths and get it to a pass grade but since you have an undergraduate degree, it's looking pretty irrelevant.

Well done again, you should be very proud :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending