The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Psychology C800 vs Applied Psychology C817

I applied for Psychology C800 and have just been offered Applied Psychology C817.

Apart from the difference in locations (Applied Psych is at Queen's), what are the primary differences? The course programme on the website sounds very similar.

Thank you for any help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BioBio
I applied for Psychology C800 and have just been offered Applied Psychology C817.

I understand that I probably didn't make the cut for C800 Psychology and am lucky to have an Applied Psychology offer.

Apart from the difference in locations (Applied Psych is at Queen's), and that the offer is a grade lower (AAB instead of AAA) what are the primary differences? The course programme on the website sounds very similar.

Thank you for any help.

Hello, have you had you're college allocation and are you going to firm it?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Mrich454
Hello, have you had you're college allocation and are you going to firm it?

They allocated me Stephenson but I am not going to take it. I am disappointed about being on the Queen's Campus. I know it is a great place and course but for me personally it isn't what I was looking for from Durham. I have good offers elsewhere and will take those up instead.

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
What offers are you going to take instead?
Reply 4
Original post by jaynebun
What offers are you going to take instead?

I have firmed Cambridge and insured Edinburgh. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Congratulations on your offers! It's my daughter who's looking, other offers are Birmingham, Lancaster, Leeds and Bangor...
Reply 6
Original post by BioBio
They allocated me Stephenson but I am not going to take it. I am disappointed about being on the Queen's Campus. I know it is a great place and course but for me personally it isn't what I was looking for from Durham. I have good offers elsewhere and will take those up instead.

What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to give you some information, i am a first year psychology (applied) student at Durham. I was in the exact same situation as you last year as i originally applied for the C800 course in Durham city but got offered the other course.

In terms of the course itself, they are very similar. Lecturers cross over from Stockton and Durham and therefore for some modules e.g. stats, are exactly the same. I personally think the applied course is more interesting and the modules in third year look more exciting. Don't forget that you can choose modules in Durham third year as well (you can even choose classic papers in Durham first year but in my opinion it is not worth the effort)

Stoctkon itself is not great, however the whole "college vibe" is brillaint and there is no doubt you are never bored. There is always something going on in the college bar and the college reps are great. Moreover, as long as you have a good group of friends you can have fun anywhere!

I am actually moving to Durham for my second year as i prefer it more, the X1 is a free bus connecting Stockton and Durham however it is a little lengthy (40mins). If i did not have my car, i probably would have stayed put. Queens campus itself definitely feels part of Durham University and they are well connected.

I can honestly say i am throughly enjoying first year and if you like going out... Middlesbrough is not that bad (and i am from Newcastle). We sometimes even go out in Newcastle and get the train which takes about an hour or so but you can pre drink on there so it's fine. There is a weekly student night on a tuesday in Stockton where all the Durham students from both colleges goes to.

It all depends what you're after. I personally did not think i would enjoy Queens campus as much as i have done, and i think it's pretty cool having a relatively small community where everyone is connected. All the things about Queens Campus that i thought i would not like, i actually enjoy.

One more thing; first year your lectures are literally on your door step if you choose Stephenson which is very handy (especially if you struggle to get out of bed like myself). I sometimes leave for lectures at 9.58 if i have a 10am one and i still mange to make them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by kingornerd
Just to give you some information, i am a first year psychology (applied) student at Durham. I was in the exact same situation as you last year as i originally applied for the C800 course in Durham city but got offered the other course.

In terms of the course itself, they are very similar. Lecturers cross over from Stockton and Durham and therefore for some modules e.g. stats, are exactly the same. I personally think the applied course is more interesting and the modules in third year look more exciting. Don't forget that you can choose modules in Durham third year as well (you can even choose classic papers in Durham first year but in my opinion it is not worth the effort)

Stoctkon itself is not great, however the whole "college vibe" is brillaint and there is no doubt you are never bored. There is always something going on in the college bar and the college reps are great. Moreover, as long as you have a good group of friends you can have fun anywhere!

I am actually moving to Durham for my second year as i prefer it more, the X1 is a free bus connecting Stockton and Durham however it is a little lengthy (40mins). If i did not have my car, i probably would have stayed put. Queens campus itself definitely feels part of Durham University and they are well connected.

I can honestly say i am throughly enjoying first year and if you like going out... Middlesbrough is not that bad (and i am from Newcastle). We sometimes even go out in Newcastle and get the train which takes about an hour or so but you can pre drink on there so it's fine. There is a weekly student night on a tuesday in Stockton where all the Durham students from both colleges goes to.

It all depends what you're after. I personally did not think i would enjoy Queens campus as much as i have done, and i think it's pretty cool having a relatively small community where everyone is connected. All the things about Queens Campus that i thought i would not like, i actually enjoy.

One more thing; first year your lectures are literally on your door step if you choose Stephenson which is very handy (especially if you struggle to get out of bed like myself). I sometimes leave for lectures at 9.58 if i have a 10am one and i still mange to make them.

That's really helpful thanks, so hard to know what the right thing to do is. It doesn't help when all the offers are pretty much the same!
Reply 8

Great post. Thank you.
Reply 9
I thought I was in the same situation: Applied for C800 and was rejected, and considered for the C817. But suddenly I was accepted for the C800. So I think they made a mistake, but I hope they will stick with their decision.
Reply 10
Original post by MaBr
I thought I was in the same situation: Applied for C800 and was rejected, and considered for the C817. But suddenly I was accepted for the C800. So I think they made a mistake, but I hope they will stick with their decision.

Oh wow well done you, that's brilliant!
Reply 11

Just wondering whether everyone got the grades they had to get, or if any of them got slightly less and still got accepted? I think I'm right in saying that if you don't get the AAA for the straight psychology at Durham you wouldn't get in. What is it like for the applied course - if they definitely only accept you if you get AAB then that would make a difference with firm/insurance choices.

Thanks!
Reply 12
Just wondering whether everyone got the grades they had to get, or if any of them got slightly less and still got accepted? I think I'm right in saying that if you don't get the AAA for the straight psychology at Durham you wouldn't get in. What is it like for the applied course - if they definitely only accept you if you get AAB then that would make a difference with firm/insurance choices.

Thanks!

Hey,

I was thinking the exact same thing as you last year. I got AAB in my A levels and did a gap year so mine was unconditional and i was wondering how strict they would be if grades were not matched.

Due to the fewer applicants queens campus receives, there are people on my course with low grades (few people with BBB) which was surprising. However dont get me wrong, there are still people with A*AA who actually preferred this course and did not even apply to the other. Moreover, entry requirements have gone up this year by a grade (used to be ABB) and i imagine in a few years time they will go up again to AAA as at the end of the day, it is Durham university and you will be getting a degree from Durham (which is 5th best for psychology in the country!)

Queens campus is expanding every year and eventually it be will more sought after. I think there are plans for a new college etc and everyone i know seems to be having a great time.

The course is no way inferior to the city course (even says it on the durham website) however the standard of grades compared to the city course is a lot lower (there will be no one there with under AAA) purely because it is not in Durham.

Weigh up the pros and cons and go from there, however do not forget.. IT IS STILL DURHAM UNIVERSITY.
Reply 13
Hey,

I was thinking the exact same thing as you last year. I got AAB in my A levels and did a gap year so mine was unconditional and i was wondering how strict they would be if grades were not matched.

Due to the fewer applicants queens campus receives, there are people on my course with low grades (few people with BBB) which was surprising. However dont get me wrong, there are still people with A*AA who actually preferred this course and did not even apply to the other. Moreover, entry requirements have gone up this year by a grade (used to be ABB) and i imagine in a few years time they will go up again to AAA as at the end of the day, it is Durham university and you will be getting a degree from Durham (which is 5th best for psychology in the country!)

Queens campus is expanding every year and eventually it be will more sought after. I think there are plans for a new college etc and everyone i know seems to be having a great time.

The course is no way inferior to the city course (even says it on the durham website) however the standard of grades compared to the city course is a lot lower (there will be no one there with under AAA) purely because it is not in Durham.

Weigh up the pros and cons and go from there, however do not forget.. IT IS STILL DURHAM UNIVERSITY.

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful! Think she's finally getting there making a decision, although not definitely decided! Are you enjoying the course? And what is the social side of things like?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful! Think she's finally getting there making a decision, although not definitely decided! Are you enjoying the course? And what is the social side of things like?

Yes the course is fantastic, as i say i prefer it more than the C800 course in all honesty. I am not going to lie though and say i would rather be in stockton than Durham, because that is not the case. There are only 65 on the course so it is small but i personally like that and you can get to know your lecturers a lot more personally!

Speaking of the lecturers, the are of a very high quality. Biological lecturer is top in her field and even has her own book which helps with the course a lot as it is directly related (however even some other unis have it!). Don't forget that lecturers cross over from both campuses as well!

The college is small and 'community like' that the social life is surprising good. Everyone knows everyone and everyone has their own friendship groups. As i said previously, you can have a good time ANYWHERE if you have a really good group of friends. Everyone gets along really well and everyone who goes there is genuinely nice. I think with Durham especially you get really friendly people applying.
Same thing happened to me. I firmed Durham on the basis that it was Durham although I was only partially satisfied with the campus. The course seemed fine and similar to the C800. But I was wondering whether it would be possible to change to C800 if there is a place after grades get released. Of course it depends if you get AAA, but I was just wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest