The Student Room Group

Is 8 stone a realistic weight for an 18 year old girl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by izzibusybee
Thank you. Yes, I found that today, having eaten 400 calories yesterday I just couldn't concentrate, I felt awful and had a panic attack. I think if I stick at it though, I should get used to it. I'm desperate to lose the weight. I've just cut out a lot of sugar and carbs very recently and was feeling strange as it was. What do you eat then, as a vegan woman? I'm only recently one and am struggling a little.

I really wouldn't concentrate on weight too much. Use a measuring tape and measure inches lost. I recently started a low fat diet and regular exercise and whilst I haven't lost that much weight I've lost inches everywhere! Don't starve yourself, when you don't eat enough your body panics and slows everything down to try and conserve energy, so this will make your running less enjoyable as well as you'll feel more tired. Aim for about 1200 calories a day (more if you're exercising) and you should lose weight healthily. If you can, find a BMR calculator and that will give you more accurate info as to what you're running on.

Its a common misconception that we need to eat less than we exercise in a day to lose weight. Realistically, you probably burn around 1200 a day just sitting on the sofa through your bodys natural processes. If you lose weight you can make the ratio about 75% fat 25% muscle in every pound lost. At the rate you're going the muscle proportion will be much higher than this!

Good luck :smile:
Thank you everyone. Sorry, I completely forgot to put my height! I am 5 ft 4. The weight's coming off very rapidly at the moment, and I take that to be a sign of it needing to go: I lost 5 pounds at the weekend without even trying! I can completely see what you're saying, and I think many of you are right in that I ate 470 yesterday and I couldn't really function today. I'm increasing the calories to 600, which I appreciate is still not much, but to be honest I don't feel I need that much. My question is really: is 8 stone a good weight for a girl of reasonably petite frame with a height of 5 ft 4? As I say, I am a vegan (so my dietary habits are different), and am highly active...?

Just about, yes, but you're muscular, which means you will weigh more than someone like me who doesn't do anywhere near as much exercise. I eat a lot more than 600 calories a day and I only do 30-60 minutes of walking per day. You really need to be eating more than you are because you are active, and I'm pretty sure you need a lot more than 600 just to get your body through the day/basic functions!!!

Don't obsess over reaching "8 stone". It should be about feeling healthy and your body looking healthy. If the weight is falling off it's because you're crash dieting and that does not work. If you want to be a size X or weight X, a finite course won't achieve that. You need to eat like that everyday for the long-term, and suddenly going down to 600 calories is just putting your body through a lot of stress that will mean it gains all the weight back when you start eating again - which you will have to because your body needs more than what you are giving it at the moment.

Please eat more. I am shorter than you and weigh less than you (5" and around 7.6 stone), and I eat twice as many calories as you do, and that is already quite low. I know you want to lose weight, but this isn't the way to do it. You're already active, so what did you eat before? Say it was 2000. Shave 200 calories off that, and see how you feel after a couple of months. Then shave another 200 off that... but you probably shouldn't go below 1500, ever, unless you stop exercising.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by desdemonata
Just about, yes, but you're muscular, which means you will weigh more than someone like me who doesn't do anywhere near as much exercise. I eat a lot more than 600 calories a day and I only do 30-60 minutes of walking per day. You really need to be eating more than you are because you are active, and I'm pretty sure you need a lot more than 600 just to get your body through the day/basic functions!!!

Don't obsess over reaching "8 stone". It should be about feeling healthy and your body looking healthy. If the weight is falling off it's because you're crash dieting and that does not work. If you want to be a size X or weight X, a finite course won't achieve that. You need to eat like that everyday for the long-term, and suddenly going down to 600 calories is just putting your body through a lot of stress that will mean it gains all the weight back when you start eating again - which you will have to because your body needs more than what you are giving it at the moment.

Please eat more. I am shorter than you and weigh less than you (5" and around 7.6 stone), and I eat twice as many calories as you do, and that is already quite low. I know you want to lose weight, but this isn't the way to do it. You're already active, so what did you eat before? Say it was 2000. Shave 200 calories off that, and see how you feel after a couple of months. Then shave another 200 off that... but you probably shouldn't go below 1500, ever, unless you stop exercising.

Hey. What size roughly do you think is best for someone who is 5ft?

I'm 5ft and at 8 and a half stone I feel a bit chubby. Though I'm quite curvy (I'm a 30FF) so I'm not too bad, want to be thinner though.
I am a highly active vegan! I have a pretty petite frame, but with lots of muscle. I am a long distance runner and work out. However, my eating habits have been off the wall, and I now stand at 9st 9. I am eating less than 1000 calories/day (today I ate 713!) and am probably on track to get down to 9 stone by 11th April. But I don't know if that will be low enough for me. Can I please have some opinions?

If you have lots of muscle, that is why you weigh 9st 9 since muscle weighs a lot more than fat. I'm 8st but it is all fat, hardly any muscle, I'm lucky if I can carry my washing!
You probably need to be eating more than 2000 calories a day never mind less, also once your body goes into starvation mode you'll start digesting your muscle any fat you have will remain. Don't focus on BMI measure your hip waist ratio and as long as that is fine your weight should be fine.
Please don't try and get down to that weight, I'd kill to be 9st 9 and be fit and healthy.
Reply 24
Take it from someone who knows, you're going to make yourself seriously ill. I like you wanted to get down to 8-8 & a half stone. I used to weigh 11 stone. I eventually was surviving on 400-500 calories a day and I made myself seriously ill, and was diagnosed with bullimia and aspects of anorexia, I went to lengths to get down to that weight. Some will say I won't end up with an eating disorder, I had that mentality too. I'm now just above 9 stone but I had stomach ulcers from where my body had starved - ulcers formed. I also have a low white blood cell count and low iron. What you're trying to do is seriously not healthy, please eat at the least 1,500 calories. Once your calorie count gets below 1000 your body starts to store fat as it doesn't know when you're going to eat next.
Original post by honeyandlemon
Hey. What size roughly do you think is best for someone who is 5ft?

I'm 5ft and at 8 and a half stone I feel a bit chubby. Though I'm quite curvy (I'm a 30FF) so I'm not too bad, want to be thinner though.

What do you mean? Weight or clothes size or? My GP commented yesterday that my BMI was low, but that it's "expected" when someone is short. Basically that BMI doesn't work very well for people that are at either end of the height spectrum. Also when you're short your body type/shape can be more exaggerated, so what size/weight looks best depends a lot on where you naturally have your weighty bits :lol: in my case it's my thighs/hips, so my clothes size depends a lot on whether we're talking T-shirts or jeans!

A stone heavier and 8" taller... doesn't sound like you're chubby to me. Plus, if you have big boobs they'll be adding a fair bit of weight :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
What do you mean? Weight or clothes size or? My GP commented yesterday that my BMI was low, but that it's "expected" when someone is short. Basically that BMI doesn't work very well for people that are at either end of the height spectrum. Also when you're short your body type/shape can be more exaggerated, so what size/weight looks best depends a lot on where you naturally have your weighty bits :lol: in my case it's my thighs/hips, so my clothes size depends a lot on whether we're talking T-shirts or jeans!

A stone heavier and 8" taller... doesn't sound like you're chubby to me. Plus, if you have big boobs they'll be adding a fair bit of weight :tongue:

I meant I am 5ft tall. I weigh 8 and a half stone, but for me this feels too heavy and chubby. I wanted to ask you a fellow 5ft person what weight/clothes size you think is best for someone of our height?
Original post by honeyandlemon
I meant I am 5ft tall. I weigh 8 and a half stone, but for me this feels too heavy and chubby. I wanted to ask you a fellow 5ft person what weight/clothes size you think is best for someone of our height?

It depends on your body shape, but generally a size 8-10 would be considered good/healthy? My sister and mum are those sizes and they don't look chubby, they just have big boobs. I, on the other hand, have much smaller boobs and am a size 6 for tops.

It's not about the number of stones. It's about how it looks. I have a small frame and I have no idea how much other people my height weigh :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't worry about weight, it's a poor indicator of how your body actually looks at that weight because everyone's body is different, and muscle weighs more than fat anyway so it's not representative. I float around the 9 stone/9 and a half stone mark, but I'm 5"4, so that's pretty average really. Someone who's 5"9 and 9 stone is going to look a lot skinnier because they're a lot taller. And eating less than 1000 calories a day is not healthy or sustainable without making yourself ill. If you don't eat properly you tire yourself out much more easily, and although you might be losing weight, your hair and skin are going to get worse. You won't be able to focus properly if you're eating that little, and if you feel like you really have to get to 8 stone no matter the consequences maybe you should talk to your doctor. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I know this is OT but I have PCOS and it makes me gain weight like crazy. I'm so sick of it. I've had a mild eating disorder for about 7 years this disease has ruined my life.
I'm 5'5 and have never weighed as much as 8 stone except when pregnant (got up to 8 stone 4). Although I have a pretty warped body image as I've gained nearly a stone in the last 6 months but don't think I look any different even though my BMI has gone from 15.3 to 17.3.

8 stone for someone who is 5'4 is a healthy weight but you should eat 1000 calories a day at an absolute minimum, and more than that if you exercise. You're at a healthy weight now and you need to remain healthy, the way you're eating at the moment is very unhealthy and could lead to you developing an eating disorder which could ruin your life. Think carefully and make sensible decisions about what you're eating and why you want to lose weight.
Reply 31
Im 5ft4 and cannot put weight on no matter what i do. Im 8 stone and am of 'athletic' build but am definately too skinny.. to the point ive been appointed a dietician. Im on high calorie shakes so i get an additional 600 calories a day. I have people daily ask me if im anorexic, im not, i just cant put anything on no matter what i do. You can see my ribs, my breasts have disappered and i look like im 15 - im 28 and miserable as sin. As the same height as you, id advise no. Dont go to 8 stone!!
If you're under 5 feet, 8 stone is good :smile:
If you eat 700 kcals a day you'd be very thin. I think your probably miscalculating your calories, but either way I wouldn't worry. 9 stone 10 is still very slim so stop worrying about it!
(edited 6 years ago)
Im a 18 year old female that weighs 6 an a half stone im very petite an im pretty sure im under weight but want to know the average weight for a 18 year old female
Reply 35
Original post by lx_skittles_xl
Im a 18 year old female that weighs 6 an a half stone im very petite an im pretty sure im under weight but want to know the average weight for a 18 year old female

IMG_0797.PNG
Quick search gives the average weight as 8st 13lbs but obviously you have to adjust it accordingly based on how tall you are compared to the average 18 year old girl. Either way though I still light unless you're under 5ft or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending