The Student Room Group

Accountancy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iridescenzo
Interesting.
I was aware of ACA/ ACCA etc., but I'd never heard of the CTA until now.
I'm guessing getting into a firm is just a case of applying for graduate schemes. Might be a bit late now, though. :s-smilie: I can't really envisage myself as having a shot at the Big 4, anyway.

CTA is only a consideration in tax but is quite a large one

Don't see why not, your grades are fine
Reply 21
Original post by Hedgeman49
CTA is only a consideration in tax but is quite a large one

Don't see why not, your grades are fine

Maybe... Although, I suppose there are other considerations, including extra-curriculars and whatnot. Is there anything I need to be aware of when applying for accountancy work experience/ placements? Are there any timescales I need to be aware of, i.e., busiest seasons for Big 4 applications?

Sorry, I'm totally clueless. You probably get these kinds of questions all the time; if there's a general thread or something that I can read, I'd very much appreciate some direction to it. :redface:
Maybe... Although, I suppose there are other considerations, including extra-curriculars and whatnot. Is there anything I need to be aware of when applying for accountancy work experience/ placements? Are there any timescales I need to be aware of, i.e., busiest seasons for Big 4 applications?

Sorry, I'm totally clueless. You probably get these kinds of questions all the time; if there's a general thread or something that I can read, I'd very much appreciate some direction to it. :redface:

If you have ECs they are helpful for the competency-based interviews. But otherwise just get up on your "commercial awareness" ie. business news and how businesses interact with accountancy firms.

Big 4 applications for Summer/Autumn 2015 start will start opening between July and September. Given you have plenty of time to prepare you should apply as early as possible as they recruit on a rolling basis until full. There may be some ad hoc positions going at other times of the year but late summer and autumn are definitely the busiest recruiting periods.

Smaller firms will have different recruiting policies so you will have to just make enquiries on a firm-by-firm basis there.
Reply 23
If you have ECs they are helpful for the competency-based interviews. But otherwise just get up on your "commercial awareness" ie. business news and how businesses interact with accountancy firms.

Big 4 applications for Summer/Autumn 2015 start will start opening between July and September. Given you have plenty of time to prepare you should apply as early as possible as they recruit on a rolling basis until full. There may be some ad hoc positions going at other times of the year but late summer and autumn are definitely the busiest recruiting periods.

Smaller firms will have different recruiting policies so you will have to just make enquiries on a firm-by-firm basis there.

That's cool. Now I just have to figure out how to get a job for immediately after graduation. :rolleyes: I wonder if I can just get a bunch of smaller placements. I'm in the running for some law ones over Summer; I'm not particularly hopeful, though.

In case you're interested, this is my CV.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2635969
That's cool. Now I just have to figure out how to get a job for immediately after graduation. :rolleyes: I wonder if I can just get a bunch of smaller placements. I'm in the running for some law ones over Summer; I'm not particularly hopeful, though.

In case you're interested, this is my CV.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2635969

From memory I don't think you have to upload a CV for any of the Big 4, just put all of your stuff into their standardised form. But CV looks pretty good regardless
Reply 25
From memory I don't think you have to upload a CV for any of the Big 4, just put all of your stuff into their standardised form. But CV looks pretty good regardless

Alright. I'll just have a dig around the smaller firms in the meantime. Many thanks. :smile:
Reply 26
Are there high chances for the accountancy field jobs if ACCA part qualified or fully qualified?
Reply 27
Hello there.

Just to round off the accountancy qualifications here, having seen both ACCA and ACA represented.

I am just finishing my 3rd year of a graduate scheme with a large utilities company studying CIMA.

I've probably had very different training to the others, as industry placements are in my opinion more rounded and broad.

As I am directly reporting to business functions and providing them with useful data to make strategic decisions, I think management accountancy is a good choice for someone who wants to start a business one day. You learn more about how to make a business work - the content is more forward looking - strategic choice, risk, business improvement, budgets, forecasts, etc rather than rigid backward looking (preparing statutory accounts against accounting standards. Should I even mention Sarbanes Oxley?) but that's my own personal opinion....

If you want a qualification that is more centred towards business, you should seriously consider the one that was created with business in mind.

Not to say the other qualifications aren't worthwhile - they most definitely are.

In terms of career progression and pay, I can't speak for other industry graduate schemes, but apparently mine pays the average. I started on 25k working outside of London. nearly 3 years later I am on 32k. When I finish, I can expect to earn £40k (which is what the grads who have just left my scheme are on)

I would expect any newly qualified accountant to be on at least £35k in the south. Any lower and you're being massively ripped off..

In a big corporate, there are lots of opportunities for progression. and of the finance grads who are still working here, most of them made manager position paying £55-65k after 3 years of leaving the scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Another thing I feel I should mention is that entry qualifications aren't usually as tough.

I only had 220 UCAS points, but there were loads of schemes I applied for that only required a 2.1.

For big industry finance schemes there does seem to be a high level of competition -- which is standard I guess across all grad schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending