The Student Room Group

Academic Support at Masters Level?

So i'm currently completing a Masters Degree at University of Manchester. I'm in m first year of a two year Social Work course. I'm doing really well on placement, and I know this is what I want to do long term. The issue is my assignments. I was doing ok, getting 50-60 % which was still a pass, and trying to increase my grade for next year. However, I found out today that my latest assignment, one that I worked solidly on for 3 weeks, I have failed.
I'm gutted, and worried. Does anyone know of any academic support available for people struggling in one aspect of the course? Legal and legit please, obviously :tongue:.

Thanks!
Reply 1
You should be able to find initial academic support from your uni.

Your first port of call is the person who marked your assignment. Make sure that you understand their feedback and get them to give you "chapter and verse" on how to improve in the future. The failure has clearly come as a shock, meaning that you expected a decent mark. The best thing you can do, is to check that you don't repeat whatever mistakes you've made.

If you have general concerns, try your course/programme leader. Obviously it will differ between individuals, but mine was used to holding "coffee & panic" sessions, to talk through worries about the course and iron out points of misunderstanding (especially with particularly awkward lecturers). Failing that, all unis have some kind of Student Support function where you can just sit down with someone familiar with the uni environment, and have a similar talk (albeit less specific).

I'd strongly discourage looking outside your organisation, unless you manage to exhaust all they have to offer.
Reply 2
Original post by crazyunicorn133
So i'm currently completing a Masters Degree at University of Manchester. I'm in m first year of a two year Social Work course. I'm doing really well on placement, and I know this is what I want to do long term. The issue is my assignments. I was doing ok, getting 50-60 % which was still a pass, and trying to increase my grade for next year. However, I found out today that my latest assignment, one that I worked solidly on for 3 weeks, I have failed.
I'm gutted, and worried. Does anyone know of any academic support available for people struggling in one aspect of the course? Legal and legit please, obviously :tongue:.

Thanks!

your module convenors/seminar tutors should be your first port of call- basically whoever marked the work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending