The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE'S but good A Levels?

Hello everybody.

I did quite bad in my gcse's and wasn't able to carry on with A Levels at first, however my school does a scheme where some students were allowed to do A Levels. I had achieved 3 English grades at grade B and a Maths at Grade C, so I passed, but the rest at C or below. I am predicting I will achieve ABB atleast in my AS Levels, as I am working very hard this year in order to achieve a good future. Would I be able to get into a good/decent university?
Reply 1
Original post by samarinakhan
Hello everybody.

I did quite bad in my gcse's and wasn't able to carry on with A Levels at first, however my school does a scheme where some students were allowed to do A Levels. I had achieved 3 English grades at grade B and a Maths at Grade C, so I passed, but the rest at C or below. I am predicting I will achieve ABB atleast in my AS Levels, as I am working very hard this year in order to achieve a good future. Would I be able to get into a good/decent university?

Would you consider Wolverhampton any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep. I was in the same situation. Im now in year 13 with offers for top 20 unis, however I have to do my maths gcse again lol ( part of the offer to achieve a B)
Reply 3
I think so, as long as you have decent Maths and English (grade C or above) then you should be fine. You won't get into Oxbridge and you may struggle with Russell Group but you will definitely get into a university :smile:
Reply 4
Hello everybody.

I'd suggest that you focus on getting good grades instead of worrying about what happens afterwards. You'll have a whole summer to do that.
Reply 5
Yes, you will those A levels are good and that's what matters
Reply 6
Hello everybody.

ABB is good for AS level. You should get AAB offers next year. Russell groups are definitely possible.
Yeah, sure you can go to a decent uni! I don't have a single A or B at GCSE but have done well ever since and have just firmed an offer from a RG uni!
Yes, as long as the rest of your application is strong. It's better to have strong A-levels and poor GCSEs than the other way around.

Quick Reply

Latest