The Student Room Group

Southampton vs Bath for CS

Hey there,

can someone help me out in choosing my insurance university? I got similar offers from both : Bath and Southampton but now can't really decide which one is more suitable for computer science studies.. By the way, as my firm I have chosen Warwick. I'm only concerned about educational aspects of those two. Any arguments/opinions would be really appreciated !!!! :colondollar:
Reply 1
I'm at Bath doing compsci right now, I picked it over UCL & Warwick last year (despite receiving offers from all). The placement year feature seems amazing and the fact that the degree is very practical, rather than being very theoretical like cambridge's compsci course.
Southampton has an international reputation for engineering. It is also well regarded for Computer Science. Bath is not particularly notable in CS. Maybe if you gave more info on the 'educational aspects' it would make it easier, as a placement year may be the thing you'd like more.
Original post by pixelfrag
I'm at Bath doing compsci right now, I picked it over UCL & Warwick last year (despite receiving offers from all). The placement year feature seems amazing and the fact that the degree is very practical, rather than being very theoretical like cambridge's compsci course.

Don't do what this guy did, the more theoretical your CS degree is, the better. CS is meant to be a branch of mathematics and therefore it is better to build your core in CS rather than jump straight into the practicalities.

Southampton is amazing for CS, jus sayin.

Google 'ECS'
Reply 4
Original post by hexagonalRod
Don't do what this guy did, the more theoretical your CS degree is, the better. CS is meant to be a branch of mathematics and therefore it is better to build your core in CS rather than jump straight into the practicalities.

Southampton is amazing for CS, jus sayin.

Google 'ECS'

When I meant "very practical" I did not mean that there was no theory. If you want to do mathematics then go do mathematics at university, there'll be computing related modules that will satisfy those needs.
Two of my modules this year were mathematics modules, and the programming modules I did were very heavy on the mathematics side. It's balanced enough. If you want to go into academia then perhaps a degree heavily based on theory is more useful, whereas a degree that balances practicality and theory is more employable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pixelfrag
When I meant "very practical" I did not mean that there was no theory. If you want to do mathematics then go do mathematics at university, there'll be computing related modules that will satisfy those needs.
Two of my modules this year were mathematics modules, and the programming modules I did were very heavy on the mathematics side. It's balanced enough. If you want to go into academia then perhaps a degree heavily based on theory is more useful, whereas a degree that balances practicality and theory is more employable.

Nope, employers prefer theoretical degrees over practical degrees when it comes to CS. I am doing a yini and that's what I have noticed from people(employers) all around me. It's a different story when it's engineering though. :smile:

Southampton is way better than Bath for CS imo, even if you look at it in your way.
Nope, employers prefer theoretical degrees over practical degrees when it comes to CS. I am doing a yini and that's what I have noticed from people(employers) all around me. It's a different story when it's engineering though. :smile:.

It depends though. Some employers will ask questions on computational complexity, you'll need to know your theoretical stuff well. Another employer may give you some multithreaded code and tell you to refactor it on the spot, or ask you about specific Java libraries and specific syntax. I don't think there is an obvious preference out there - you need to always adapt to an employers interviewing process. It is true that the theoretical stuff is generally harder to pick up and I think people should study it if given the opportunity, but even then some employers will be oblivious.
Original post by MartinMorrison
It depends though. Some employers will ask questions on computational complexity, you'll need to know your theoretical stuff well. Another employer may give you some multithreaded code and tell you to refactor it on the spot, or ask you about specific Java libraries and specific syntax. I don't think there is an obvious preference out there - you need to always adapt to an employers interviewing process. It is true that the theoretical stuff is generally harder to pick up and I think people should study it if given the opportunity, but even then some employers will be oblivious.

Theoretical stuff makes it easier and quicker for you to learn languages and libraries quicker, doesn't it? :smile:
Reply 8

Southampton is way better than Bath for CS imo, even if you look at it in your way.

Bath's graduate employment for CS is 15% higher than Southampton's (Bath has 100%) and their placement year scheme can't really be matched by any of the top 10 unis for CS either, which is why they have the reputation they do.

Employers don't prefer theoretical degrees, it's not like they go and look up all your modules when you apply for a job to check your hoare logic is as good as your C++. They realise that accreditation means the content was regulated (so it's not even like the course content can be that different between the two) and they choose the person who is best equipped for the job.
Original post by Damask-
Bath's graduate employment for CS is 15% higher than Southampton's (Bath has 100%) and their placement year scheme can't really be matched by any of the top 10 unis for CS either, which is why they have the reputation they do.

Employers don't prefer theoretical degrees, it's not like they go and look up all your modules when you apply for a job to check your hoare logic is as good as your C++. They realise that accreditation means the content was regulated (so it's not even like the course content can be that different between the two) and they choose the person who is best equipped for the job.

I disagree. While Bath is a good university, Southampton is better for CS and EE, specially for high tech companies like Qualcom, Broadcom, Apple etc. I can confirm this because every employer I have met on my placement year highly regards Southampton and Imperial as their top choices.

A theoretical degree builds up on your fundamentals which makes it easier for you to catch on to different programming languages. Practicality should be left for later on, not university.

Bath's employability rate may be higher but that doesn't mean they make it to all cool jobs.

Employers in Engineering look for innovators rather than familiarity of libraries/languages.
Reply 10
I disagree. While Bath is a good university, Southampton is better for CS and EE, specially for high tech companies like Qualcom, Broadcom, Apple etc. I can confirm this because every employer I have met on my placement year highly regards Southampton and Imperial as their top choices.

A theoretical degree builds up on your fundamentals which makes it easier for you to catch on to different programming languages. Practicality should be left for later on, not university.

Bath's employability rate may be higher but that doesn't mean they make it to all cool jobs.

Employers in Engineering look for innovators rather than familiarity of libraries/languages.

Bath's course is theoretical, your argument is flawed because you didn't understand what the earlier guy said about Bath. The course is geared towards success in industry but it is still very much a theoretical course. Anecdotal evidence of a few employers holding Southampton's degree up with Imperial's isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid. Let the statistics speak for themselves.

Practicality is still a crucial skill. Try and get hired by explaining that you don't actually know the syntax of a single programming language but you could write quicksort ten different ways in pseudocode. You will be laughed at.

Of course it's important to have a theoretical grounding but someone who knows C# is still going to have an easier time learning Java on the job than someone with impeccable knowledge of programming concepts but no actual experience, and employers care about that kind of stuff.
Original post by Damask-
Bath's course is theoretical, your argument is flawed because you didn't understand what the earlier guy said about Bath. The course is geared towards success in industry but it is still very much a theoretical course. Anecdotal evidence of a few employers holding Southampton's degree up with Imperial's isn't gonna cut it, I'm afraid. Let the statistics speak for themselves.

Practicality is still a crucial skill. Try and get hired by explaining that you don't actually know the syntax of a single programming language but you could write quicksort ten different ways in pseudocode. You will be laughed at.

Of course it's important to have a theoretical grounding but someone who knows C# is still going to have an easier time learning Java on the job than someone with impeccable knowledge of programming concepts but no actual experience, and employers care about that kind of stuff.

IBM organises a formal for all ECS students at Southampton, and Southampton only, because of the quality of the course. 30% of all CCL graduate employees have to be hired from Southampton (that's higher than Cambridge). I haven't looked into Bath much, maybe Southampton is better on the hardware side and low-level programming, where-as Bath may be better for high-level programming.

You can't let the statistics speak for themselves because Southampton has a bigger department (meaning more students) than Bath, employers tend not to hire multiple graduates from the same university in one go.

And don't be ridiculous, no university is that theoretical. CS graduates from Cambridge are at the top of the spectrum for a reason. Take Eben Upton, for example (I work with him). Most of the witty senior software engineers here at Broadcom are from Cambridge, Imperial and Southampton. I haven't met anyone from Bath yet, which suggests they may be better at databases and web-design. Bath doesn't come out with the best compilers, or video codec software engineers, generally speaking.

Don't you think you're being a little biased because you go to Bath? Bath is a great university, I'd prefer it over Southampton generally, because it is a better university as a whole.

But yes, overall, Bath CS graduates seem to be getting higher employability scores (by 6% not 15) :smile:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-computer-sciences-it

I am doing Electronic Engineering though, so different story.
Reply 12
Employment stats lol.
Reply 13
IBM organises a formal for all ECS students at Southampton, and Southampton only, because of the quality of the course. 30% of all CCL graduate employees have to be hired from Southampton (that's higher than Cambridge). I haven't looked into Bath much, maybe Southampton is better on the hardware side and low-level programming, where-as Bath may be better for high-level programming.

You can't let the statistics speak for themselves because Southampton has a bigger department (meaning more students) than Bath, employers tend not to hire multiple graduates from the same university in one go.

And don't be ridiculous, no university is that theoretical. CS graduates from Cambridge are at the top of the spectrum for a reason. Take Eben Upton, for example (I work with him). Most of the witty senior software engineers here at Broadcom are from Cambridge, Imperial and Southampton. I haven't met anyone from Bath yet, which suggests they may be better at databases and web-design. Bath doesn't come out with the best compilers, or video codec software engineers, generally speaking.

Don't you think you're being a little biased because you go to Bath? Bath is a great university, I'd prefer it over Southampton generally, because it is a better university as a whole.

But yes, overall, Bath CS graduates seem to be getting higher employability scores (by 6% not 15) :smile:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-computer-sciences-it

I am doing Electronic Engineering though, so different story.

JP Morgan sponsor prizes at Bath for e-portfolios, invite winners to their Spring Week, and it's the only CS department in the country where students are eligible for BP STEM scholarships because of the relationship between the department and the company - every uni has their special links with industry, so the IBM thing is neither here nor there really.
Southampton has a bigger department (meaning more students) than Bath, employers tend not to hire multiple graduates from the same university in one go.

Well then that's a disadvantage. :rolleyes:

You act like Imperial is the high standard for a theoretical course, but it really isn't what you think. Their degree is a BEng for a reason; they teach you how to build compilers. It is far more practical engineering than theoretical science. Cambridge and Imperial are at the top (and deservedly so) because their reputation for teaching is very well-known amongst employers so their degrees are well respected. If the theoretical aspect of degrees were so important then degrees in Computational Mathematics would be a lot more sought after than they actually are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm most certainly biased, but you've only been using anecdotal evidence about a few companies and employers to backup your own claims. Whatever source the Guardian tables were using is either outdated or is using stats from a group including other courses, because CS at Bath has 100% graduate employment (95% grad jobs, 5% further study.) [x]
Reply 14
Lol, it's seems hard to compare these two uni's. So choose the one which you prefer in general (Location, accomodation?..)
It really isn't that hard to compare them. Let's strip away the 'anecdotal evidence' and look at some hard data: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-computer-science-and-informatics

This link shows the results of the Research Assessment Exercise carried out in 2008 for Computer Science. This took years to do - individual researchers in fields were peer reviewed/ assessed by some national board (NOT the Guardian, its just on their website), and a universities overall quality (and to some extent quantity) of research in a specific field measured. The results are then used to allocate funding. It is clear from these results, which are the purest you can find in measuring research and research quality and hence how good the department is, that Southampton is stronger than Bath in the field of CS, with a higher proportion of world-leading research and more staff.

The effects of this are seen in the real world, as hexagonalRod points out. Southampton does enjoy a better reputation than bath for CS and EE, because its research is stronger. That's how it works. Companies know about and respect this, because the reputation, funding, and expertise of a university is directly linked to its research quality and scope. If you're going to choose a university, you really should focus on this, because it is nearly impossible to quantify other measures of goodness.

For example, different employers conduct very different interviews. Damask states that an interviewer will laugh at you if you can't implement an algorithm in a specific language, but can write it in psuedocode. At a bank, I have been asked to implement in Java on the spot and assessed on knowing syntax. At Amazon, I have been asked to implement in psuedocode. It is clear that different employers look or assess on very different things. With this in mind, how can you argue that a course could ever prepare you better for industry than another course? The exception to this is a placement year - that is certainly a significant component of a degree that will get your foot in the door with a company, and give you hard experience to write on your CV, but you can always take a year off and work and return to your degree - so is it really that valuable?

Unless a university runs a course like 'Getting an internship at Amazon 101', lectured by Amazon's UK recruiter and tutored by current interns, I am just unable to see how a degree or educational experience can cater to industry better than another. Specific links with companies helps, but it goes a lot less further than you think, especially in the UK. At least in the US you can get mad props for going to an Ivy league university with companies, but in the UK things are just fairer. For your first job, you're going to be assessed by people who simply have little interest or time to look deeply into your qualifications, let alone the place your studied at. They have a standardised way of testing the hundreds of people that apply and will apply and assess on it with no regard for anything else. For jobs after that, your previous job and experience are going to be the main things.

Original post by Damask-

You act like Imperial is the high standard for a theoretical course, but it really isn't what you think. Their degree is a BEng for a reason; they teach you how to build compilers. It is far more practical engineering than theoretical science. Cambridge and Imperial are at the top (and deservedly so) because their reputation for teaching is very well-known amongst employers so their degrees are well respected. If the theoretical aspect of degrees were so important then degrees in Computational Mathematics would be a lot more sought after than they actually are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm most certainly biased, but you've only been using anecdotal evidence about a few companies and employers to backup your own claims. Whatever source the Guardian tables were using is either outdated or is using stats from a group including other courses, because CS at Bath has 100% graduate employment (95% grad jobs, 5% further study.) [x]

Imperial is 'the high standard for a theoretical course' because its research is amazing. You may notice that its research is on par with Southampton's, according to the RAE. Cambridge and Imperial are not at the top because of their reputation for teaching. They are the top because they have world leading researchers in the field, and ridiculously more money than other departments to fund this research and image. The amount of teaching going on at a university is (and should be) a tiny faction compared to the amount of research going on. Do not be naive as to think that employers have a list of universities with boxes and ticks in places like 'Good teaching'. Universities get a reputation and get know because of their research, whether it happens indirectly or directly, this is how things work. People think students from Cambridge and Imperial and better educated because they had an amazing tutorial system etc, but the only reason these universities have the opportunity to even hoodwink the world into believing this (and it could be true) is because they have such good research. The best students want to go there, and they do. Even if their modules and courses sucked, students that are so good would still excel and they do. Do you truly believe that students at Cambridge get tutored and helped better than an unknown university that has students with poor backgrounds that constantly need help? Having studied in both of these contexts, I don't think so.

It is not a coincidence that the universities that are considered best in the world have the best research. This is the core that drives everything, and is strongly correlated with the amount of money a university has, which as you know, makes the world go round. Do not be tricked into believing differently. Peel away the labels (BEng, BSc - whatever), the accreditations with x and y, the dubious student surveys, the unscientific 'employer reputation' surveys, the 'international diversity' factors and you will find the truth staring right at you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Thank you all so much for sharing your opinions about universities and views about CS studies overall. I suppose I'll go with Southampton not only because of better level of research and more efficient studies as it was claimed by some answers, but also because I find the city more attractive. Thanks again, all your comments were extremely helpful !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending