The Student Room Group

Had a tattoo that I now hate.

Hi there,

Around a year ago I had a tattoo done, this isn't my first one, I have 4 others, that I really like.

Basically I absolutely HATE this one and I really do not know why I had it done, about 3 hours after I had it done I regretted it.

I've looked into having it lazered off but it's SO expensive and I couldn't afford it. The only other thing is a cover up but I don't think that would work as I hate where it is. It's not the design, I don't really like the tree and the birds are fine, really it's about where it is.

I don't know what to do about it, it bothers me that when I wear dresses or tops that you can see the back on, it's on show.

Would a cover up look worse?

Here is a picture, it looks a little raised and blotchy kind of as this was the day after I had it done.

I don't really want comments on how it was stupid of me to get it in the first place as I know that now!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Reeeeyah
Hi there,

Around a year ago I had a tattoo done, this isn't my first one, I have 4 others, that I really like.

Basically I absolutely HATE this one and I really do not know why I had it done, about 3 hours after I had it done I regretted it.

I've looked into having it lazered off but it's SO expensive and I couldn't afford it. The only other thing is a cover up but I don't think that would work as I hate where it is. It's not the design, I don't really like the tree and the birds are fine, really it's about where it is.

I don't know what to do about it, it bothers me that when I wear dresses or tops that you can see the back on, it's on show.

Would a cover up look worse?

Here is a picture, it looks a little raised and blotchy kind of as this was the day after I had it done.

I don't really want comments on how it was stupid of me to get it in the first place as I know that now!

It doesn't look all that bad in my opinion but if you don't like it and you don't want it laser removed then perhaps if you wore your hair down instead of tied up then it would at least be partially obscured.
Reply 2
Original post by Comus
It doesn't look all that bad in my opinion but if you don't like it and you don't want it laser removed then perhaps if you wore your hair down instead of tied up then it would at least be partially obscured.

Do you think a cover up would be a bad idea?
Reply 3
Do you think a cover up would be a bad idea?

Depends what it is but then I'm not really the best person to ask, sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by Comus
Depends what it is but then I'm not really the best person to ask, sorry.

Lol no problem, thanks anyways :smile:!
Reply 5
If you don't like the location then covering it up isn't going to help, how can it? It will probably mean less options in the designed too and going bigger. Start saving up for laser if that's really what you want.
Reply 6
I'm going to side against a cover-up simply because it's mostly the area you hate. A coverup means a bigger tattoo - especially because it's black (or looks black to me) which takes *more* ink to cover it... meaning more area covered in a place you don't really like having a tattoo!

Have you tried using makeup to cover it? Kat von D's tattoo cover up is expensive but works, not sure of any alternatives.

Personally, I don't think it looks bad (ignoring the obvious signs of a new tattoo in the pic). I actually like it. Why did you get it in the first place? Just curious, not judging. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by BKS
If you don't like the location then covering it up isn't going to help, how can it? It will probably mean less options in the designed too and going bigger. Start saving up for laser if that's really what you want.

Maybe if it was something I really liked then it wouldn't bother me so much :confused:. I'm kind of confused about it really, wish I'd never even got it :frown:

But yeah I'll start saving my pennies lol.
Reply 8
Maybe if it was something I really liked then it wouldn't bother me so much :confused:. I'm kind of confused about it really, wish I'd never even got it :frown:

But yeah I'll start saving my pennies lol.

Or maybe it's more like you should just stop digging?

If it makes you a while to save up then at least you get time to think it through but really don't get tattoos you aren't entirely certain about if the lesson here, not having a go but you must not have done a good job of thinking it through to dislike it go quickly.
Reply 9
Original post by Kaeseia
I'm going to side against a cover-up simply because it's mostly the area you hate. A coverup means a bigger tattoo - especially because it's black (or looks black to me) which takes *more* ink to cover it... meaning more area covered in a place you don't really like having a tattoo!

Have you tried using makeup to cover it? Kat von D's tattoo cover up is expensive but works, not sure of any alternatives.

Personally, I don't think it looks bad (ignoring the obvious signs of a new tattoo in the pic). I actually like it. Why did you get it in the first place? Just curious, not judging. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I will look into the cover up stuff :smile:.

There's no meaning behind it at all.

Original post by BKS
Or maybe it's more like you should just stop digging?

If it makes you a while to save up then at least you get time to think it through but really don't get tattoos you aren't entirely certain about if the lesson here, not having a go but you must not have done a good job of thinking it through to dislike it go quickly.

What do you mean?
Reply 10

What do you mean?

Digging the hole is the mistake, you realise you made a mistake but then you do the same thing again to try to fix it and inevitably end up with an even bigger hole/mistake. Same action leads to the same result, in this case your decision making in getting a tattoo needs to change it future to stop the same result.
Reply 11
Original post by BKS
Digging the hole is the mistake, you realise you made a mistake but then you do the same thing again to try to fix it and inevitably end up with an even bigger hole/mistake. Same action leads to the same result, in this case your decision making in getting a tattoo needs to change it future to stop the same result.

You're completely right, I suppose!

Do you want to pay for laser treatment for meeeeeeeeeee? :colondollar:
Well you have three options.

Get it lasered off, which as you say can be very expensive, hurts a lot and as far as I know is far from a dependable option, scarring is not exactly rare for instance.

Cover it up, which has its own issues. It being a black tattoo makes it a little more complex and as you aren't in love with the placement replacing it with a larger tattoo might not be a great idea. If you do get it covered up though, do your research and find someone with experience in cover ups, it can be quite different to tattooing on plain skin.

Thirdly, just deal with it. Put it down as a mistake and embrace that. Obviously easier said than done.
Reply 13
Thanks for the advice, I will look into the cover up stuff :smile:.

There's no meaning behind it at all.

Give it a meaning? Could help with adjusting to it being there? I do really like it though! It's a pretty design.
Reply 14
Original post by Kaeseia
Give it a meaning? Could help with adjusting to it being there? I do really like it though! It's a pretty design.

That's a really good idea actually, you've made me feel a little better about my tattoo lol.

And thanks, all I would say is if you ever get a tattoo don't get it on the top of your back..... lol or actually you may already have one there :smile:
Reply 15
That's a really good idea actually, you've made me feel a little better about my tattoo lol.

And thanks, all I would say is if you ever get a tattoo don't get it on the top of your back..... lol or actually you may already have one there :smile:

I'm glad :smile: and I don't have any tattoos actually! Every time I go to get one I change my mind... Forever an appreciator though :tongue:
Reply 16
Sounds weird but looking at my tattoo it looks like this bird is a person trying to hold on for dear life :eek: meeeeep. Holding onto a piece of hair.
(edited 3 years ago)
Sounds weird but looking at my tattoo it looks like this bird is a person trying to hold on for dear life :eek: meeeeep. Holding onto a piece of hair.

I appreciate that I'm not you, I'm me, but I personally really like it, including it's position. I think the tree would look more beautiful if it had like cherry blossom on it or something because it does look a bit bare and wintry but then again that's a bit poetic. I also think it'd look really nice in a classy open-back dress. Maybe you could get an experienced tatoo artist to change it so it looks more blossomy and intricate?

I think youre over-thinking it too much but that's a bit like everyone really - I mean I think most people especially girls over think aspects of themselves. For me, I don't really like my figure because I have quite small boobs and my fat collects around my bum and thighs, and yeah, it's quite pathetic but a lot of nights I do cry about it because I feel like there's nothing I can do to change it really, it's just the way I'm built, probably in much the same way you can't change or get rid of your tattoo . But I'm trying to accept that you know, because I'm not a model of perfection and I'm not trying to be.

If it helps I think you have a beautiful head of thick hair and I do honestly like your tattoo and don't think you should remove it :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Tattoos are like a mullet you can never shave off.

Oh well
Reply 19
I am totally in agreement with some others who suggest making the tattoo prettier. Blossom/leaves etc.
Symbolising how you have now 'matured' making a decision to improve the tattoo and in the process become beautiful.. Looool but seriously that could work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest