The Student Room Group

Engineering personal statement

I'm currently in year 12 studying the IB. I'm looking to apply to General Engineering courses at maybe Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Bristol and Exeter...
I was just wondering what sort of things I could do to help my personal statement stand out a bit and would love some advice :]
I've done a ton already including
-Work experience
-Attending a Headstart course at Oxford (this summer)
-Inspire girls headstart engineering at Queen Mary Uni course last summer
-Maths prefect- help at maths clinic for year 7-9 struggling in maths
-Physics extended essay (kinda similar concept to an epq but a bit shorter- IB requirement)
-Physics in action lectures
-6 week maths masterclass lectures run by royal institution
-Going to an engineering taster day at UCL this summer
-Plan to read around the subject a bit
-I'm sort of well rounded too, play for a football team, am in a ton of bands/orchestras (from jazz to classical)- grade 8 on clarinet and sax, red belt in taekwondo (I know Oxbridge don't care about this though)

I've done a lot already but is that enough for Oxbridge? There's always more you can do right? :]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Personally, that tells me a lot about why you'd be good for "university" or a maths/physics degree, but not so much about "engineering".

In my personal statement I included bits about the work I had done so far (product design technology, electronics, etc) and why that particular course would be beneficial and how my skills can have an impact there. I also mentioned bits about the sort of work I'd like to do as an engineer and how that degree would get me there. As part of that, I mentioned a bit about some news articles at the time which were relevant and how my skills could change the world of engineering as professional.

Instead of just "I am interested", is there anything you can show you have done to prepare yourself specifically for that course and lifestyle? Engineering is not just about maths and physics, although it will underpin a lot of the work you do. Having technical knowledge of materials, manufacturing processes and assembly is very important too. Being able to use CAD/CAM, working on team projects and applying engineering skills is also massively important. A lot of that will be taught or otherwise given to you, but it will help to show you have an understanding of it before you go.

At pretty much every job interview I have had so far, they have presented me with a technical drawing or a technical problem and said to me "Go on, explain what is happening and how to fix it". These are companies working on projects costing tens or hundreds of millions and they need people who "know" engineering.
Reply 2
Original post by Rubygk
I've done a lot already but is that enough for Oxbridge? There's always more you can do right? :]

As the previous person has commented, all you need to do now is convince whoever reads your statement that engineering is unequivocally what you want to study/a career you wish to pursue.

You have all the right credentials to be accepted and that Headstart course will be very good for you. Good luck.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest