The Student Room Group

Wrong gender on wage slip...

I know this question isn't necessarily a mental health question but it's linked to mental health and I don't want to publicly discus my gender identity issues without the anon function.

If someone gets wage slips/a P60 with the wrong gender on it - who is responsible for that kind of error? HMRC/the employer (by employer I mean head office/payroll) or the Jobcentre (if having moved from JSA right into to employment). I have a feeling it is not just an admin tick box error and that it has occurred after face-to-face communication with me. My greatest suspicion is the jobcentre since they also wrote 'MR' on my signing booklet.

I need to find out who has assumed my gender without asking me because it's really unprofessional and disrespectful and obviously I need my wage slips altered. I don't even know if my boss gets to see them - anyone know that? Anyone know who it is I need to contact to find out where 'MR' was inputted into whatever system creates my P60/wage slip - HMRC/Jobcentre/Employer?

Thanks for any responses!
Moved to the Careers and Employment Section. You might get a better reply here. :smile:
Reply 2
About it being unprofessional without asking you first, that is a tricky one, because I probably would be insulted if someone asked me 'are you Male or female' as I am sure many would. So I guess you can't blame them too much.

But regarding the rest of your post I dont know sry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
About it being unprofessional without asking you first, that is a tricky one, because I probably would be insulted if someone asked me 'are you Male or female' as I am sure many would. So I guess you can't blame them too much.

But regarding the rest of your post I dont know sry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if your gender is different to your sex, or you down identify with the gender binary, or you're genderqueer?

It's not that difficult, when you're asking someone questions already, to ask what their gender is, imo.
Original post by Anonymous
I know this question isn't necessarily a mental health question but it's linked to mental health and I don't want to publicly discus my gender identity issues without the anon function.

If someone gets wage slips/a P60 with the wrong gender on it - who is responsible for that kind of error? HMRC/the employer (by employer I mean head office/payroll) or the Jobcentre (if having moved from JSA right into to employment). I have a feeling it is not just an admin tick box error and that it has occurred after face-to-face communication with me. My greatest suspicion is the jobcentre since they also wrote 'MR' on my signing booklet.

I need to find out who has assumed my gender without asking me because it's really unprofessional and disrespectful and obviously I need my wage slips altered. I don't even know if my boss gets to see them - anyone know that? Anyone know who it is I need to contact to find out where 'MR' was inputted into whatever system creates my P60/wage slip - HMRC/Jobcentre/Employer?

Thanks for any responses!

If you are working for a large company with their own HR and payroll department - HR would be responsible for the actual data input and payroll would be responsible for creating your payslip/P60. Payslips and P60s are generated with what ever information is on the system so your title is wrong on the HR/Payroll system.

You might be making a bigger deal out of all of this than necessary - it might well just be human error. I am an HR Administrator myself and in my two years I did once put miss instead of mr on someones record - I later got a call from the guy who told me it was wrong and I corrected it on the system - problem resolved. These things can happen.

Why not just ring up the company/job centre plus and say, i think there has been a mix up - it says mr on my payslip but i'm a miss...
Reply 5
Original post by DarkWhite
What if your gender is different to your sex, or you down identify with the gender binary, or you're genderqueer?

It's not that difficult, when you're asking someone questions already, to ask what their gender is, imo.

That is why I am saying it is tricky. Either way people will be offended. But with the majority of people, asking will be a problem. Like on forms and stuff I have never been asked if I am female. And if I was asked, my immediate reaction would probably be to frown at the member of staff. It is not about how 'difficult' it is to ask, it is how the recipient will react to it.

Btw I mean this in face to face. Over the phone or where they cannot see you, then of course it is fine to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Sigh.. no offence, but if it is that difficult to figure it out then it's probably not their fault. Something has to go in the blooming box!

Don't make it in to a big deal, just request the change.
Reply 7
Original post by DarkWhite

I think it would be (seen to be by some) less insulting to ask "Which gender do you identify as?" as a standard question on whatever form they fill in.
Contact your HR department and they will most likely sort it for you.

In any case, I wouldn't bother changing it to "Miss", you'll probably find your paycheck somewhat diminished at next payday :ahee:
I'm a bit confused, do you look like both genders or what?

Also, the same thing has happened to me sometimes because my name is foreign and they obviously don't know if `i'm male or female so I think most people just assume male until they meet the person.
Reply 10
I don't understand, surely they've seen your proof of right to work in the UK such as your passport or birth certificate. They should have entered your gender as is on your ID. If they haven't, it's probably a typing error rather than anything offensive.

In the eyes of the law, you remain your birth gender until you get a gender recognition certificate. This will then mean you're issued with a new birth certificate in your new gender and can use this to apply for other ID such as your passport with that gender as well.

I apologise if you're not changing your gender, but I can't think of any other reason someone would be so sensitive about the issue. So if your legal gender is different to that recorded by your employer, just phone up HR and tell them they've made a typing error, no fuss required. If it's not, then you're going to have to deal with the relevant paperwork first before addressing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending