The Student Room Group

Would it annoy you if someone misspelt your name?

Scroll to see replies

People have misspelled and mispronounced it all my life :tongue:

I'm just used to it now! :smile:
Original post by kka25
Well, not really misspelt it, just using another variation of it such as Elisabeth/Elizabeth or Susanna/Susannah, Margo/Margot, Mae/May?

Probably so. I guess the real question is: to what extent? :pierre:
It used to annoy me when people misspelt my surname but I've got so used to it now that I automatically start spelling it out. I can understand in someways because it is quite an unusual surname but it is spelt how it sounds. My surnames Phillippo & I've had Phillips/ Phillipopos/ Phillipoo/ Philepo/ Philipo e.t.c over the years :frown:
Reply 63
Original post by Jelephant
My name is so awkward and so often misspelt, I'd be a deeply unhappy person if I were to get bothered by it every time =P After 23 years it's gotten to the point where I don't bother correcting most people- only if they ask, it's for something official, or I know I'm going to be dealing with them again a lot in future :p:

but but but but I spell Jelephant as Jellyfant :frown:
People always miss the E off of my second name. It's an honest mistake, so it's never worth losing any sleep over.
Original post by kka25
Well, not really misspelt it, just using another variation of it such as Elisabeth/Elizabeth or Susanna/Susannah, Margo/Margot, Mae/May?

I get all sorts of variations with the name Susanna! The most common one is Susannah but I've had people spell it Sussanna, Suzanna, Susana etc. It's not that annoying, at least there's really only one pronunciation no matter how it's spelt!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably. It's a 3 letter word, difficult to spell incorrectly

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha I'd be annoyed way too much if that was the case. I'm Indian so my name is complicated to everyone haha. I don't really mind. In fact, I panic when people remember my name or spell it correctly because it means I really should've remembered theirs but I'm so bad with names that I usually don't.
Original post by Spaghetti
Probably. It's a 3 letter word, not difficult to spell incorrectly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tom?
sorry first three letter name I could think of so l though l might as well have a guess.
Nahhh it happens. A lot.
Nope, it happens to me all the time. In fact I prefer Aisha which is what most people tend to call me to Ayesha which is actually how you spell my name.. oh well :smile:
Reply 71
Happens to me all the time with my surname. My surname is a place name spelled slightly differently so I'm constantly correcting people. Easy mistake to make so there's no point getting annoyed. Besides, I get to laugh at some variances of it that come through the post.
Original post by Andaxay
Happens to me all the time with my surname. My surname is a place name spelled slightly differently so I'm constantly correcting people. Easy mistake to make so there's no point getting annoyed. Besides, I get to laugh at some variances of it that come through the post.

Mine's an animal spelt differently, I feel your pain :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by furryface12
Mine's an animal spelt differently, I feel your pain :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, the curse of having names that are too closely-spelled to real things :smile:
Reply 74
My name is Khawer
mostly people don't say it right because of the silent 'k' so it's pronounced 'hawer'
lol but on my friend's contact lists its mostly spelt wrong...I guess im used to it now but its still sometimes annoying.
To be honest, I'm more annoyed by people who choose to spell conventional names differently.

Like why not Shawn, instead of "Sean"? :rolleyes:
Not really, people spell/mispronounce my name wrong all the time. I only get annoyed if they knew me and still forgot. My Headteacher and Deputy head went 5 years calling me the wrong name even though he knew me. Was so annoying, especially when it was in front of loads of people :unimpressed:
Well my name is Frederik but most people spell it the English way 'Frederick', I dont mind that. But nobody calls me that anyway, everyone calls me Fred or Freddy so it annoys me to have to keep pointing that out to new people :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
No.
It's more annoying when people call you anything but your name.
I'd be very concerned if they managed to spell 'Tom' wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest