The Student Room Group

How to link reasons for a 12 marker - AS AQA UNIT 1

Does anyone know how? You can't get more than 9 marks if you don't do it in the 'Explain...' questions.
Original post by brad_
Does anyone know how? You can't get more than 9 marks if you don't do it in the 'Explain...' questions.

Best way to do this is to:
a). link a long-term factor to causing a short-term factor
b). evaluate the importance of factors/say which factor is most significant and why.
Hopefully that cleared it up. Basically, do a short conclusion in which you choose the most important factor whilst explaining your reason, and/or say a certain long-factor caused a short-term factor.
Original post by edgarcats
Best way to do this is to:
a). link a long-term factor to causing a short-term factor
b). evaluate the importance of factors/say which factor is most significant and why.
Hopefully that cleared it up. Basically, do a short conclusion in which you choose the most important factor whilst explaining your reason, and/or say a certain long-factor caused a short-term factor.

My teacher gives me 10/11 out of 12 when I link them under a common theme

Would it be okay if I linked them under the common theme?

i.e. Why did the Conservatives loose the 1906 election?

Tariff reform - this shows unpopular conservative policy (say this is most important but don't justify)
1902 education - act this again links into the theme of unpopular conservatice policy
Chinese labour issue - this again links into the theme of unpopular conservatice policy
1904 licensing act - this again links into the theme of unpopular conservatice policy

I put those sentences at the end of my PEE structured paragraphs?

Is this okay? My teacher gives me 10-11 marks for doing this, but everyone else on his talks about the factors causing each other, instead, which makes me very insecure the day before my exam.

Also, why do you say that saying the most important + justifying also gives you the top band of marks, as the level 4 band (10-12 marks) only mentions "demonstrating good understanding of the connections and links between events/issues" and not selecting most important and justifying.

Your response will be overwhelmingly appreciated.

Thank you.
Original post by JediArron
My teacher gives me 10/11 out of 12 when I link them under a common theme

Would it be okay if I linked them under the common theme?

i.e. Why did the Conservatives loose the 1906 election?

Tariff reform - this shows unpopular conservative policy (say this is most important but don't justify)
1902 education - act this again links into the theme of unpopular conservatice policy
Chinese labour issue - this again links into the theme of unpopular conservatice policy
1904 licensing act - this again links into the theme of unpopular conservatice policy

I put those sentences at the end of my PEE structured paragraphs?

Is this okay? My teacher gives me 10-11 marks for doing this, but everyone else on his talks about the factors causing each other, instead, which makes me very insecure the day before my exam.

Also, why do you say that saying the most important + justifying also gives you the top band of marks, as the level 4 band (10-12 marks) only mentions "demonstrating good understanding of the connections and links between events/issues" and not selecting most important and justifying.

Your response will be overwhelmingly appreciated.

Thank you.

Linking under a common theme sounds fine, I think it mostly depends on the period of history you're studying. It isn't as easy to link factors within a common theme in HIS1B, which is what I study. Integrating links within your paragraphs is fine, I only write a conclusion out of personal preference and the exam structure taught to me.
My teacher told us that a good way to link is to highlight the most important factor and I have read this in specific past mark schemes. I think by outlining the most significant factor, you can then proceed to demonstrate the "inter-relationship" of factors in your justification more easily.
If you're still nervous, perhaps talk to your teacher before the exam? They will know more than I do. Besides, all answers are marked on their own merit so you don't necessarily have to follow identical structures so long as you fulfill the AOs.
Good luck for tomorrow.
Linking under a common theme sounds fine, I think it mostly depends on the period of history you're studying. It isn't as easy to link factors within a common theme in HIS1B, which is what I study. Integrating links within your paragraphs is fine, I only write a conclusion out of personal preference and the exam structure taught to me.
My teacher told us that a good way to link is to highlight the most important factor and I have read this in specific past mark schemes. I think by outlining the most significant factor, you can then proceed to demonstrate the "inter-relationship" of factors in your justification more easily.
If you're still nervous, perhaps talk to your teacher before the exam? They will know more than I do. Besides, all answers are marked on their own merit so you don't necessarily have to follow identical structures so long as you fulfill the AOs.
Good luck for tomorrow.

I see, but it seems like the whole country is doing it differently to I am, and also the mark scheme says the "interrelationship way" rather than the "linking under common theme" way, and the post you posted 2 weeks ago on this same topic, the other person said the "interrelationship way" than the "linking under the common theme way" and this other person is doing the same module as me Unit 1L. I also checked in the mark scheme.

Thanks for your attempt to help
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JediArron
I see, but it seems like the whole country is doing it differently to I am, and also the mark scheme says the "interrelationship way" rather than the "linking under common theme" way, and the post you posted 2 weeks ago on this same topic, the other person said the "interrelationship way" than the "linking under the common theme way" and this other person is doing the same module as me Unit 1L. I also checked in the mark scheme.

Thanks for your attempt to help

I just checked that thread and the final post recommends linking the same way you do using words such as "reinforces" and "furthers" to join factors under a common theme. I think they even do the same unit as you. I think your method is good.
I just checked that thread and the final post recommends linking the same way you do using words such as "reinforces" and "furthers" to join factors under a common theme. I think they even do the same unit as you. I think your method is good.

Thank you.

One day we will make babies together, not now, though, I am revising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending