The Student Room Group

Philosophy AS/A2?

I am honestly absolutely terrified to start Philosophy A-Level in September, as every person I have spoken to and asked about it has given a negative response...

What I would really love to know, is what it's like to study, and whether it takes up your whole life just to pass. I love essay based subjects, and philosophy seemed really interesting so I applied for it, but everyone I've spoken to has given really vague, negative response telling me you have to be born with 'philosophy in your blood' to be able to study it- also that it's impossible to pass! I already had little confidence before and now I am absolutely terrified! Please help!

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi:smile:
In college, to be honest when I was choosing my options, I only chose Philosophy because it was the only subject I thought was interesting, I`d already chosen 3 others, so I chose this as a final option, just anyways.
And a year after studying.....I LOVED IT!!! It is soo interesting, it really makes you think, and I just loved going to class everyday! I went into this subject thinking, `Oh I dont even wanna do it, I`ll drop it at the end of the year` and at the end of the year, it was the last subject i could think of dropping!
Not only that, the papers are quite easy, there are only a few questions they can ask you LITERALLY. for example, for one of our units, there were 3 theories, that was it! So they could only ask us on them 3, same for the other unit we did aswell! At the end of the day, choose it whether YOU like it, I personally would say go for it. The only negative I`d say with it is that you really need to read the questions in the exam, if you misinterpret it, then its not good.
Have a look at exam papers, and see how you find it:smile:
PS I did AQA Philosophy
If you decide to do it and need any help or revision notes, just email me :smile:
I was going to pick Business Studies but ended up taking Philosophy and Ethics (OCR) instead, and I thought I'd want to drop it. Now I love it, it's so interesting and I look forward to lessons and I really want to take it to A2!! It's such a good subject and really gets u thinking, especially the ethics side.
Go for it! I never thought it would be my subject but I think I'm right to say it is:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest