The Student Room Group

Help needed regarding my RIBA Part 2 university choice.

I graduated from Kingston University with a 2.1 and have been working in a practice since August. I applied to many universities for my Architecture Part 2 and so far the only options are : UWE (Bristol) and Kent. I have no idea what to choose, if any would like to comment/ advice on this I would appreciate it. Thank you!
I did an undergraduate at Kent, and know plenty of people who are at Kent now!

It's a very good university with plenty of investment coming it's way. There's a mixed vibe from what I've gathered from some aspects. Some hate their design tutors who are apparently stirring things up with other groups and trying to compete against them.

You do get a generous sized space on the ground floor of the department which is normally empty, so no concerns there. The workshop people are great, and always there to help although it does get busy close to the deadlnes!
You also have to pay for materials and use of machines like most unis.

The tutors tend to be nice, in undergrad, some don't like to be disturbed, but I imagine it's the same with many unis.

The 4th and 5th years work together in design tasks so there is a nice mix of experiences, and there are links to universities such as Virginia Tech, Istanbul and Rome for the first semester of 5th year.

I re-applied for Kent as a safety but will most likely be turning it down since I've had a couple offers from elsewhere. I know that Kent do interviews, and it is pretty competitive this year (last year they accepted 2.2s but the cut off seems to be 2.1 now)

Feel feel to message me if you have any questions.
Reply 2
What are your top 3 choices sam? and what universities have accepted/ rejected you? I need peace at mind
Thanks
The top 3 aren't in any particular order. since I'm planning some second visits soon, but they are..

1) Sheffield
2) Liverpool
3) Nottingham

Also have Manchester and Newcastle, but have yet to visit them so cannot make a judgement.

Kent was the safety, but I will discard it since, I have had offers from other and want to try out somewhere new.
(edited 9 years ago)
Where abouts have you had offers from? Or want an offer from
Reply 5
Thank you for your reply. I have never visited Kent University since they accepted me without interview, so I much appreciate your tour. I will have to visit before I decide though, and still waiting for replies from my top ones (Edinburgh and UCL).
I understand that changing university is refreshing and creates more opportunities as well as widens our horizons/knowledge.

Best of luck with your applications.
Reply 6
So you have had no offers as of yet Sam?
Had offers from Nottingham and Liverpool. After a second visit, I prefer Liverpool the most so taking that.

So happy :smile:
Reply 8
Good questions gab! So you have received confirmation from all? Including Liverpool and nottingham I.e. Emails and letters or just somebody telling you they might make you an offer.
Regards
muh
Clearly Muh! No offers have been made. Probably liverpool have but no confirmation from the best univeristies such as Sheffield and nottm
Original post by SteveNwall
Clearly Muh! No offers have been made. Probably liverpool have but no confirmation from the best univeristies such as Sheffield and nottm

I received my offer from Nottingham in the post and got my Liverpool offer a few weeks back, but would definitely say Liverpool and Nottingham are on par.

I didn't get into Sheffield, but after the second visit to Liverpool I think I will have a better time there, since I wasn't at all keen of Sheffield as a city. Since my hobby is walking and I use it whenever I can to break free from architecture, it seemed like a good overall decision.
Reply 11
I am an international studnet just accpeted liverpool, it leagues above. So have you accepted liverpool then,we can be friends? Nottingham have only just sent out their letters apparently, so your lucky to get yours soon.
ACCEPT LIVERPOOL
I have also applied to Edinburgh (submitted my application back in March) and am still waiting for a response. I was told by staff member a while back that external applicants will not hear their outcome until June. But I am like you wanting a peace of mind!! I need more patience! :smile:
Reply 13
Yes! I have actually called them today and they will give response until 11 of June!! So two more tough weeks i guess! Best of luck!:biggrin:
Original post by celticcharm
Yes! I have actually called them today and they will give response until 11 of June!! So two more tough weeks i guess! Best of luck!:biggrin:

Any news from Edinburgh or UCL yet? Still no change in application status for me....getting increasingly anxious. Best of luck to you too!
Reply 15
I got my letters today. Accepted at Edinburgh but not at UCL. I am extremely happy that ESALA accepted me and will go there in the end. Did you have any news from your yet? Good luck! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending