The Student Room Group

student finance for the second time

i have changed my career and need a degree to progress in my industry due to licenses and accreditation requirement that i cannot achieve without a degree. i have secured a place at the university based on my experience however i cannot afford to pay the fee. i have already used all of my student finance funding for a previous degree (4 years) that i did did not finish meaning i do not have a degree. my question is do i still qualify for the student finance funding given my current circumstances? my new degree will be in architecture. TIA
Original post by 0935788
i have changed my career and need a degree to progress in my industry due to licenses and accreditation requirement that i cannot achieve without a degree. i have secured a place at the university based on my experience however i cannot afford to pay the fee. i have already used all of my student finance funding for a previous degree (4 years) that i did did not finish meaning i do not have a degree. my question is do i still qualify for the student finance funding given my current circumstances? my new degree will be in architecture. TIA

Hi 0935788,

Can you confirm what qualifications you currently hold? Is the new course going to be full time or part time? When are you thinking of starting this? Would it be Riba part 1 or 2 you would be doing?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi 0935788,

Can you confirm what qualifications you currently hold? Is the new course going to be full time or part time? When are you thinking of starting this? Would it be Riba part 1 or 2 you would be doing?

Thanks,
Claire

I hold diploma of higher education level 5. The course is going to be full time and qualification will be Riba part 1 once i finish the degree. i am hoping to start this September as i have already secured a place at a Riba accredited institute. thanks
Original post by 0935788
I hold diploma of higher education level 5. The course is going to be full time and qualification will be Riba part 1 once i finish the degree. i am hoping to start this September as i have already secured a place at a Riba accredited institute. thanks

We would need to take your previous study into account when working out if you can get finance for the new course. Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if your new course is 3 years and you have done 4 years previously, the calculation would be 3+1=4-4=0 years of full finance (Tuition Fee) but you should still be able to get Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable.

Do you have any Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) why you didn't complete your previous course?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
We would need to take your previous study into account when working out if you can get finance for the new course. Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if your new course is 3 years and you have done 4 years previously, the calculation would be 3+1=4-4=0 years of full finance (Tuition Fee) but you should still be able to get Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable.

Do you have any Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) why you didn't complete your previous course?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire - thank you for the explanation. Is 0 years of current entitlement based on not having a completed degree? Is this same for those looking to start a second degree? If i am able to complete riba part one by funding myself, will SFE fund riba part 2 and 3 as it is essentially continuation of the study? I had a health issue and ended up having a surgery which had an impact on my studies. thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending