The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by DENTMAN
Hey guys,

i am a optometry student at city university and just finished first yr, if you have any questions do ask i will try my best to answer them,

Thanks and good luck with resutls and all.

Original post by DENTMAN
Hey guys,

i am a optometry student at city university and just finished first yr, if you have any questions do ask i will try my best to answer them,

Thanks and good luck with resutls and all.

Hey, I'm starting City Uni to study Optometry in 2015! I was just wondering how intense the first year is and how the course is split into different modules. Also is it possible to manage a part time job at an opticians during first year?
Thanks
Reply 1141
Original post by ZQ110
Got into City!! :smile:

Same!! I'm so excited to start!
Hey guys, anyone joining Manchester Uni join this page, gonna be keeping you updated with First year events

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1465153117126712/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aston anyone? :smile:
Can anyone suggest what they read surrounding optometry that they mentioned in their PS or at interview? What books are there that would be good?

Only have weeks work experience in a specsavers (which was amazing) so a bit worried, have a volunteer position at a charity shop and member of a fundraising charity, think I have a chance? AABC at A/S math biol chem and lit respectively and predicted AAAB At A2 in maths biol WBQ and chem /r/??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
When do Bradford hand offers out? So keeeeen to get one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1146
Original post by VeepFan
Can anyone suggest what they read surrounding optometry that they mentioned in their PS or at interview? What books are there that would be good?

Only have weeks work experience in a specsavers (which was amazing) so a bit worried, have a volunteer position at a charity shop and member of a fundraising charity, think I have a chance? AABC at A/S math biol chem and lit respectively and predicted AAAB At A2 in maths biol WBQ and chem /r/??

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't really need to read any books relating to optometry. I didn't and I still got my offers. I also only had a weeks worth of work experience at an or opticians but I had a week at a hospital as well. Your grades are pretty good too so don't worry too much about it
Does anyone here study Optometry in Plymouth??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Two of my mates have gotten a place at City university for optom.
One of them applied for med and the other applied for dentistry. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can I ask Bradford optom students what was the process in the applicant day where you take a quiz or something ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1150
Yeah you take a quiz and they have a few talks from what I can remember, it's a nice day work going to. When is your visit day?
Original post by ray96
Yeah you take a quiz and they have a few talks from what I can remember, it's a nice day work going to. When is your visit day?

Hey,
Thanks for replying !
Can I ask are you at Bradford studying optom now?
Also what's the quiz like as I probably know not much about optom so does it determine whether we get a place or not ?

Also not sure not got a reply from Bradford but just preparing in case!

Posted from TSR Mobile
HI i wanted to do optometry
I am studying Biology chemistry psychology and maths
i originally wanted to drop psychology but i am currently thinking of dropping maths after AS
Basically im doing rubbish
If i drop chemistry can i still get into optometry?
Original post by lollipop99
i originally wanted to drop psychology but i am currently thinking of dropping maths after AS

For all (I think) you need 2 of maths biology chemistry or physics so yeah I think so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah you'll be fine I've gotten offers and I didn't do great & doing A2s -Maths,Chem and Geography (dropped bio at AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1155
How is the course like how hard to understand compared to just a level work? And how often is their practical work like using the equipment? Thanks
Original post by lollipop99

Please don't drop chemistry
Was city in clearing last year and if so what were the average grades needed to get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
I qualified from Cardiff in Optometry in 2010 and worked in Boots Opticians for a few years (pre reg completed with them) and in two independents, so happy to answer any questions.

It's not a bad job just not for me, so am actually going back to uni to retrain. Like to think I can give you an honest view of the job though and uni expectations.
Original post by RetrainingOptom
Hi
I qualified from Cardiff in Optometry in 2010 and worked in Boots Opticians for a few years (pre reg completed with them) and in two independents, so happy to answer any questions.

It's not a bad job just not for me, so am actually going back to uni to retrain. Like to think I can give you an honest view of the job though and uni expectations.

What are you going to retrain as?

Quick Reply

Latest