The Student Room Group

Really loud noise from nearside rear wheel area, not a bearing so what is it?

Took car for it's MOT November, wheel bearing replaced, from that day there has always been noise there when I brake from very loud to minimal, some days loud others quiet.
took it back the shop about week later, he checked it over and said it' was fine just a bit of normal brake noise?

over the last few months it seems to have gotten louder, an old friend (61) who was an ex MOT tester and working on cars for 40 years thought he knew what the problem was yesterday, brake shoes but when he inspected the shoes they were in mint condition so he thought it was aspestos (dust or something) and rust causing the noise which he cleaned off with his wire brush costing me £25.

took for a drive on my own and the noise returned much heavier louder than ever, he's going to check it for me again today at 10:30 am, it's not a wheel bearing so what can it be?

noise like grinding, whirring, ''groaning ''mainly
Reply 1
Original post by Dirty Feet
Took car for it's MOT November, wheel bearing replaced, from that day there has always been noise there when I brake from very loud to minimal, some days loud others quiet.
took it back the shop about week later, he checked it over and said it' was fine just a bit of normal brake noise?

over the last few months it seems to have gotten louder, an old friend (61) who was an ex MOT tester and working on cars for 40 years thought he knew what the problem was yesterday, brake shoes but when he inspected the shoes they were in mint condition so he thought it was aspestos (dust or something) and rust causing the noise which he cleaned off with his wire brush costing me £25.

took for a drive on my own and the noise returned much heavier louder than ever, he's going to check it for me again today at 10:30 am, it's not a wheel bearing so what can it be?

noise like grinding, whirring, ''groaning ''mainly

It does sound like it might be a brakes issue - but I would question if your "old friend" isn't taking you for a ride.

Unless you car is very old, or has somehow got very old brakes on it, there shouldn't be any asbestos and a wire brush isn't the tool to clean asbestos with.
Reply 2
Are they disc brakes or drum brakes? Does the noise change between rolling along and braking? If there's no difference in the noise I highly doubt it's the brakes. If it does change, is it noisy when rolling, or braking?

I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing was improperly fitted and has failed again, it does happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Clip
It does sound like it might be a brakes issue - but I would question if your "old friend" isn't taking you for a ride.

Unless you car is very old, or has somehow got very old brakes on it, there shouldn't be any asbestos and a wire brush isn't the tool to clean asbestos with.

Original post by Nuffles
Are they disc brakes or drum brakes? Does the noise change between rolling along and braking? If there's no difference in the noise I highly doubt it's the brakes. If it does change, is it noisy when rolling, or braking?

I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing was improperly fitted and has failed again, it does happen.

my car is 14 years old. we checked the wheel bearing to check for play and there wasn't any. the bearing was fine.

I think it has drum brakes.

I only;y hear the noise when braking, NOT when driving along or on the gas pedal
Reply 4
Original post by Dirty Feet
my car is 14 years old. we checked the wheel bearing to check for play and there wasn't any. the bearing was fine.

I think it has drum brakes.

I only;y hear the noise when braking, NOT when driving along or on the gas pedal

Just because there's no noticeable play in it doesn't mean the bearing hasn't gone, however if the noise is only when you brake then it's most likely to do with the brakes. Asbestos hasn't been used in car brakes in decades, a car made in the 2000s isn't old!

To be honest, it's probably easiest just to replace the brake shoes. They're not expensive and it'll probably cure the issue. Do both sides as it's bad practice to only replace brakes on one side. When the drum's off, run your finger around and inspect the inside contact face. There should be no scoring on the contact surface, and the lip around the edge shouldn't be more than a couple of millimetres tall. If the surface is scored or the lip is substantial, replace the drums too. Very easy job and can be completed by a home mechanic with some basic instructions off the internet, easier than disc brakes by far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending