The Student Room Group

Midwifery applicants 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jellybanana
Hi! I'm hoping to apply for midwifery next year too, although I'm also thinking of maybe taking a gap year and doing something with gap medics for experience (you can work on a maternity unit in Tanzania or Thailand- it looks so awesome!). I was hoping to apply to UEA, Southampton (although the grades are near impossible, they want straight A's!), York and Kings... I haven't decided on the 5th yet! I'm currently in the process of signing up to do some work with NCT and I'm going to apply to volunteer on my local maternity ward the second I turn 18! I was also thinking of doing an EPQ (basically a dissertation) as my additional study at college next year on the difference in maternity care in the west and in less developed countries. Don't suppose anyone here is planning on doing an EPQ on something midwifery related?

I'm worried it will be hard to get on the course though, as I'd be coming straight out of sixth form and I get the impression the courses are mostly made up of mature students as they're the one's who've actually had the experience of giving birth lol. Do you think this true or have I been mislead?

All the best with your applications! xXx :h:

Hi nice to hear you are looking into doing midwifery! I am applying to do midwifery again after my gap year and like you as soon as I turn 18 I am volunteering at the hospital and potentially looking for some paid work in hospitals as well!
I did an EPQ essay on 'how does the maternity unit care for the physically disabled' it was a really interesting topic to research and produce a product on!
Your topic sounds very interesting and by all means go for it, it's a quality some unis look in depth at and like candidates to have!
Good luck!! :smile: x
Is anybody going to the King's open day on the 7th of June?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there I will be applying for midwifery this year. Just wondering who else is and where. And just have a chat :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be applying, not sure where though! Think i want to stay close to home! :smile:
I'm hopefully going to apply this year! I might go for deferred entry though so I can take a gap year, sounds like I need to save up because I imagine it would be hard to keep up a part time job on top of studying and working in the hospital!

I've booked onto UEA, Southampton, Kings and Sheffield. Is anyone else going to these open days? Or are there any other places you think look good? :smile:
I'm going to apply for midwifery this year, but am so scared due to the competitiveness of this course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for midwifery 2015/2016. I'm going to apply to Cardiff, University of South Wales, Swansea, UWE and Leeds. Nervous! x
Hiya everyone, Im applying for midwifery for September 2015 intake and I am hoping this year I will get in. the last time I applied I got interviews test days at Cardiff and Bournemouth but was unsuccessful. im looking at applying for the south west areas Plymouth, Bristol, Bournemouth and also Cardiff and putting in Brighton as well. From feedback from last time I was told midwifery was so competitive its extremely hard to get in without any care experience I have recently started training as a nursing assistant on a spinal ward to help me gain some experience and confidence. good luck with ur applications everyone!! :smile:
Hi, I'm going to apply to study Midwifery in 2015 (hopefully) at UCLAN! I haven't applied for the course before, I left college 12 months ago after finishing my A Levels and have been working full time since. In the meantime I have applied to an Access to Higher Education Health and Social Care Profesions at local college so I'm hoping I get accepted. Has anyone else done a similar course? Are they good

I'm worried about how competitive it is to study Midwifery but I have figured that I would rather try than regret it!
I'm worried about how competitive it will be too, and also how much hard work it will be. I was talking to a lecturer at an open day last week and I had no idea you only get 3 weeks of summer holiday! It would be so gutting to have all your friends go off on a summer holiday and you have to stay at home! Hopefully it won't be that bad, but still, that was a bit of a shock!
Applying for 2015 :smile: Sheffield and Leeds, maybe York. Went to the Sheffield open day was really good :smile: can't wait to apply just have to start the dreaded PS, how much work experience has everyone been able to get?? x
I haven't had work experience as of yet but I've applied for a week experience in a maternity unit and to help out at child centres and play schools

Posted from TSR Mobile
I volunteer with my local NCT group I do a Bumps and Babies coffee morning group once a month plus any other events they hold and I volunteer for my local hospital doing patient experience surveys. What volunteering do other people have? Rhi x
I volunteer at an NCT Bumps and Babies group too! I also have a week on a gynaecology ward (closest I could get to a maternity ward being under 18). I have a part-time job on checkouts and although it's not directly relevant I think it might still be useful, you have to deal with all kinds of people ect
I've been told that where I live in Wales they don't allow any work experience/volunteering on the maternity ward! Annoying. I also work on checkouts part time in my local supermarket and previously worked at Cardiff airport on the check in desks and boarding the flights. So both jobs require meeting people from all walks of life. Just still can't believe how hard midwifery is to get onto in University! Crazy! Rhi x
Finding it so hard to find work experience and volunteering :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to the UEA open day yesterday and the lecturer was saying that admissions understand that directly relevant experience isn't always possible, but that customer service experience is useful. She used the example of someone who used to be a beautician which involved having to touch people in a way they might not feel so comfortable with (I imagine she meant waxing their downstairs or something :lol:) and linked that to a skill you'd need for midwifery. I guess so long as you can say how you've learnt something relevant from it, your work experience doesn't have to be on a maternity ward!
Hey :smile: I'm applying to brighton, Bournemouth, Plymouth, coventry and it's between university of South Wales or York! I have found it hard to get work experience but I've recently started going to breastfeeding groups. All the lecturers I have spoken to on the open days suggested breastfeeding groups. I'm really nervous too, the competitiveness of the course put me off a bit also!

something else that was mentioned was to read some midwifery books, particularly about anatomy and biology!
I'm applying for 2015 at De Montfort, Leeds, Manchester, Salford and Nottingham. From what I've found out only about 4% of applicants get in (on average)! Scary:frown: I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find any work experience, even breastfeeding groups and antenatal classes are being funny about letting me sit in. If anybody knows of anything in the Mansfield/Chesterfield area PLEASE let me know!
4%, that's crazy! I've been having a lot of doubts over applying because of how hard it is to get in! Just because it took me so long to get anywhere with volunteering. What I've been doing though is reading as many midwifery books as I can, I guess it would come in handy for the interview and makes up for lack of work experience. My library had loads of midwifery books. Good luck, I hope you get some work experience it is so difficult to get your foot in the door x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending