The Student Room Group

HNC Care and Administrative practice (HNC CAP) in August? :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiamD9
Hey!

I have just been offered a place on the HNC CAP course at Glasgow Clyde. As far as I'm aware I haven't seen anyone post that they have studied or are studying the HNC here? Anyone able to pass comment on what the course is like there?

Thanks! :smile:

What campus? I'm currently at Cardonald
Reply 161
As far as I'm aware it's at the Anniesland campus...waiting to hear more info in July I think.
Original post by LiamD9
As far as I'm aware it's at the Anniesland campus...waiting to hear more info in July I think.

If its Anniesland you had your interview then that's where it will be. Anniesland is very slightly different to a Cardonald, but majority is the same. Any questions feel free to ask. I've been accepted for 2nd year at GCU for nursing I. september, so currently on placement again to make up the placement hours.
Reply 163
Original post by LynetteMc
If its Anniesland you had your interview then that's where it will be. Anniesland is very slightly different to a Cardonald, but majority is the same. Any questions feel free to ask. I've been accepted for 2nd year at GCU for nursing I. september, so currently on placement again to make up the placement hours.

Oh okay thats great! Thanks for that. Do you know what differences there are? Sounds great! Thats what I am hoping to do aswell! Where is your placement at the moment?
Original post by LiamD9
Oh okay thats great! Thanks for that. Do you know what differences there are? Sounds great! Thats what I am hoping to do aswell! Where is your placement at the moment?

It's mostly just assessments are a little different, but they are trying to keep both campuses as similar as they can. My HNC placement was ENT, which I loved. Currently doing my GCU placements and this is community so in the day hospital of the New Vic and out with a health visitor. I have 1 more placement to go, so find out Friday where to next.
Reply 165
It's mostly just assessments are a little different, but they are trying to keep both campuses as similar as they can. My HNC placement was ENT, which I loved. Currently doing my GCU placements and this is community so in the day hospital of the New Vic and out with a health visitor. I have 1 more placement to go, so find out Friday where to next.

Have you applied for year 2 of adult or mental health nursing?
Original post by EJB1986
Have you applied for year 2 of adult or mental health nursing?

I'm Adult
Reply 167
I'm Adult

I see. Massive congratulations on your year two placement. Only 2 students from my cohort managed to get a year two place, it's extremely competitive. I was hoping for a year two child place but they aren't running them now so I'll be starting year 1 child nursing in September x
Original post by EJB1986
I see. Massive congratulations on your year two placement. Only 2 students from my cohort managed to get a year two place, it's extremely competitive. I was hoping for a year two child place but they aren't running them now so I'll be starting year 1 child nursing in September x

Yeah I believe there were 140 applicants. There are around 30 of us who got accepted. Good luck with the child though I'm sure you'll love it.
Reply 169
Yeah I believe there were 140 applicants. There are around 30 of us who got accepted. Good luck with the child though I'm sure you'll love it.

Thank you. And same to yourself. Best of luck
I applied to the HNC evening class at Glasgow Clyde at Cardonald campus and haven't even had my application looked at. People are saying they have had interviews and now been offered places. Feeling really disappointed.
Original post by LeighUno
I'm doing the HNC at the moment at Glasgow kelvin college springburn.

I love it, physiology was interesting but hard as so many different body systems so I would advise getting a Ross and Wilson anatomy book that will see you through uni too.

All the classes definitely equip your for uni.

Placement was amazing I was placed in a gastro ward in gri. Placement alongside college was hard work and tiring but it was only for 12 weeks so got through it in the end, it opened my eye up to how things are being done in the hospital and so many new things I learn.

I would advise anyone wanting to go into nursing to do this course over the swap.

If you have anything else you want to ask send me a pm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask why you think the HNC is better than the SWAP? I have been offered a place on the SWAP, but I really want to do the HNC. x
Original post by illymolly
I applied to the HNC evening class at Glasgow Clyde at Cardonald campus and haven't even had my application looked at. People are saying they have had interviews and now been offered places. Feeling really disappointed.

Don't worry. We were talking to the lecturers this week and they told us they are just finishing the interviews for the HNC this week, and haven't even started yet for the other courses they run included the evening class. They said there has been so many more applicants this year than previous years so between teaching and marking it's taking them a while to go through them all.
Don't worry. We were talking to the lecturers this week and they told us they are just finishing the interviews for the HNC this week, and haven't even started yet for the other courses they run included the evening class. They said there has been so many more applicants this year than previous years so between teaching and marking it's taking them a while to go through them all.

Thanks, that's a bit more hopeful then. I applied last year and got scared, but I done the First Steps to Nursing module at UWS and its really made me realise I can do it with hard work.
Can I ask why you think the HNC is better than the SWAP? I have been offered a place on the SWAP, but I really want to do the HNC. x

I'd agree with this. The HNC is at a higher level than the SWAP, the modules link directly to those of the nursing degree and the placement is invaluable. It's the only course that's accepted for 2nd year entry for that reason.
Thanks, that's a bit more hopeful then. I applied last year and got scared, but I done the First Steps to Nursing module at UWS and its really made me realise I can do it with hard work.

It is hard work, but as long as you stay focused it's manageable. You just need to manage your time well.
Original post by LiamD9
Hey!

I have just been offered a place on the HNC CAP course at Glasgow Clyde. As far as I'm aware I haven't seen anyone post that they have studied or are studying the HNC here? Anyone able to pass comment on what the course is like there?

Thanks! :smile:

Hey! I'm going for this course today, how long did it take before you heard back that you were successful?
Original post by EJB1986
Hi! 😊
That's great! A fellow pediatric student nurse.

When I attended the group interview everyone was wanting entry to either adult or mental nursing with only 1 wanted looking for midwifery and I want pediatrics. I was told the same with regards to the second year entry. They said if you want it you have to show it and work hard as it's extremely competitive for year 2 entry.

Have you studied academically before? Do you have experience with working with children? I actually can't wait to get started. 😊

Hi, I start the HNC in August 2017 :smile: if I make sure i have 100% attendance at college and placement for the year, will this give me the required amount of placement hours needed for entry to year 2 Paediatrics?

Thanks
Rachel xx
Original post by Kitten82
Hi, I start the HNC in August 2017 :smile: if I make sure i have 100% attendance at college and placement for the year, will this give me the required amount of placement hours needed for entry to year 2 Paediatrics?

Thanks
Rachel xx

No, you would only get given the extra hours you need if your successful in gaining a place for 2nd year entry. It's very competitive though. Also there are no places for 2nd year entry for children's nursing. Only for Adult, mental Heath and LD
Reply 179
Original post by Kitten82

Thanks
Rachel xx

Hi,

Unfortunately no. You will gain extra hours. I was also hoping for year 2 entry in Paediatrics but there were no spaces there was only spaces for adult and mental health. I am now going into year 1 for Paediatrics in September so the course does help. It's an extremely competitive field of nursing to get into.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Latest