The Student Room Group

All in one year?!

Hey guys,

I did AS Maths, Physics, Computing and History. I want to do Computer Science at university and so I'm planning on dropping History this year and taking up AS Further Maths whilst doing A2 Maths, Physics and Computing.

Regarding Maths, I did Core 1, Core 2 and Mechanics 1. I'm hoping I've got about 72/75 on average in each one this year. Question is, can I do all of these units in one year and maintain that standard?

Core 3,
Core 4,
Decision 1,
Decision 2,
Statistics 1,
Further Pure 1

I got an A* at GCSE and an A in the FSMQ but I appreciate that might not indicate my ability to juggle 6 units!

Any advice would be appreciated!

CD223

Scroll to see replies

what a stupid question

yeah, do it, content overlaps in maths. make sure you understand everything and you'll do fine.
Reply 2
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
what a stupid question

yeah, do it, content overlaps in maths. make sure you understand everything and you'll do fine.

Well why is it stupid given I've not done any decision or stats modules and have no idea about the content of Further Pure?

Thanks for your reply though! Which units above overlap with one another if you don't mind? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 7 maths modules this year (AS & A2 Further Maths plus I self-taught M3) plus A" Physics and Chemistry. Provided you have the determination to do all the work required you'll be fine. Wasn't greatly streneous and still managed a decent social life.
Reply 4
Original post by Sparta_Kane
I did 7 maths modules this year (AS & A2 Further Maths plus I self-taught M3) plus A" Physics and Chemistry. Provided you have the determination to do all the work required you'll be fine. Wasn't greatly streneous and still managed a decent social life.

Wow well done! What are you doing after A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sorry but so many people ask **** like this, it just annoys me
you know yourself better than any person on tsr so ye :P

it's mainly the core stuff that appears in most modules. but also i found stuff like imaginary numbers in fp1 helped me understand the discriminant in core maths for example. i just think all the maths modules help with each other basically

i've not done decision maths, s1 i found really easy :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by CD223
Hey guys,

I did AS Maths, Physics, Computing and History. I want to do Computer Science at university and so I'm planning on dropping History this year and taking up AS Further Maths whilst doing A2 Maths, Physics and Computing.

Regarding Maths, I did Core 1, Core 2 and Mechanics 1. I'm hoping I've got about 72/75 on average in each one this year. Question is, can I do all of these units in one year and maintain that standard?

Core 3,
Core 4,
Decision 1,
Decision 2,
Statistics 1,
Further Pure 1

I got an A* at GCSE and an A in the FSMQ but I appreciate that might not indicate my ability to juggle 6 units!

Any advice would be appreciated!

CD223

People who do A-Level and Further Maths provided they're not utter **** ups like me usually do six modules per year.

Do the research though. When I was doing my As (last year) I thought to get an AS in Maths and Further Maths (both self taught) - so I did C1, C2, M2, FP1, FP2 and S1. However, throughout FP2 I struggled -why can't I integrate this? I don't get it... It turned out I was missing out on key concepts from C3 and C4. However I'd played enough catch up and that I just decided to cement my C3 and C4 and I did 8 exams in that year, whereas I should've just read up on the specification where it clearly says FP2 depends on knowledge from C3 and C4.
Point is, do them in the right order! I always studied two modules at a time; it made it easier to remember and less boring (stats. ugh.)
You won't have much of an issue - as long as you do C3 before C4 and D1 before D2, then you're fine. Remember to revisit old modules throughout the year (do a past paper or something) so you're not completely rusty when you start revising for exams.

Good luck! Are you self teaching it all or...?
Also, make sure your main focus is on C3 and C4. Those two are your most important - they'll shuffle about optional modules so that you get the highest A-Level in maths that you can with your grades, but C3 and C4 are the main factors.

Print of the specification for your exam board! If you're self teaching it's pretty damn important
Reply 7
sorry but so many people ask **** like this, it just annoys me
you know yourself better than any person on tsr so ye :P

it's mainly the core stuff that appears in most modules. but also i found stuff like imaginary numbers in fp1 helped me understand the discriminant in core maths for example. i just think all the maths modules help with each other basically

i've not done decision maths, s1 i found really easy :tongue:

Sorry, I'm just trying to seek advice on here as another means - it's not gonna be the main reason I decide, I just felt I could connect with more people this way.

Okay, well thanks for your advice! Would you say I should self teach any (like FP1) to help me get my head round it when we cover it in class?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Basilla
People who do A-Level and Further Maths provided they're not utter **** ups like me usually do six modules per year.

Do the research though. When I was doing my As (last year) I thought to get an AS in Maths and Further Maths (both self taught) - so I did C1, C2, M2, FP1, FP2 and S1. However, throughout FP2 I struggled -why can't I integrate this? I don't get it... It turned out I was missing out on key concepts from C3 and C4. However I'd played enough catch up and that I just decided to cement my C3 and C4 and I did 8 exams in that year, whereas I should've just read up on the specification where it clearly says FP2 depends on knowledge from C3 and C4.
Point is, do them in the right order! I always studied two modules at a time; it made it easier to remember and less boring (stats. ugh.)
You won't have much of an issue - as long as you do C3 before C4 and D1 before D2, then you're fine. Remember to revisit old modules throughout the year (do a past paper or something) so you're not completely rusty when you start revising for exams.

Good luck! Are you self teaching it all or...?
Also, make sure your main focus is on C3 and C4. Those two are your most important - they'll shuffle about optional modules so that you get the highest A-Level in maths that you can with your grades, but C3 and C4 are the main factors.

Print of the specification for your exam board! If you're self teaching it's pretty damn important

That sounds an amazing achievement, well done! I do AQA Maths. I would be going over it all in class so I'd be taught, but would you recommend I self teach myself something like either of the Core units or FP1? I'll still print off the spec though. How did you end up doing so many? Just choice?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by CD223
That sounds an amazing achievement, well done! I do AQA Maths. I would be going over it all in class so I'd be taught, but would you recommend I self teach myself something like either of the Core units or FP1? I'll still print off the spec though. How did you end up doing so many? Just choice?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I started in school I insisted that I want to do further maths. They said they don't offer it but would buy me the books and if they thought I wasn't going to fail pay for the exams.
However, further maths obviously implies an accelerated maths schedule. I did sit in for statistics lessons but that's about it really - thankfully there was a teacher whose email I had that I could email if I got really stuck, but that didn't happen often. So yeah, entirely by choice - I knew universities respected further maths, so I did it (am doing it really - three exams left. FP3 and M2 on Monday D: and S2 on Tuesday).

Well, none of your modules depend on C3 or C4; so you should be able to do C3, C4 and one of the optional modules with the school's schedule. Then you'd have to teach yourself FP1 and two of D1/D2/S1, depending on what your school does. I'd really advise seeing if you can get a maths teacher to sacrifice one lesson a week for some one-on-one time. You'd be amazed at how much a teacher can explain to you if they don't have to spend ages on an entire class, and it could really help you get your head around some of the weirder or more difficult concepts.

So, tl:dr, do as much as you can with the school (easier), for other things see if you can get them to do a weekly lesson, otherwise study hard and aim to have all the extras under your belt by february/march so you've got plenty of time to practice and assimilate.

ALSO KEEP TRACK OF WHICH PAST PAPERS YOU DO I cannot stress enough. Get seriously OCDish. Make a table with your six modules and rows from 2003 till 2014, june/january and tick them off as you go.
Original post by CD223
Sorry, I'm just trying to seek advice on here as another means - it's not gonna be the main reason I decide, I just felt I could connect with more people this way.

Okay, well thanks for your advice! Would you say I should self teach any (like FP1) to help me get my head round it when we cover it in class?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmmm well there's not much to cover in fp1 which makes it pretty easy, but i think the exam questions can be pretty challenging :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Basilla
When I started in school I insisted that I want to do further maths. They said they don't offer it but would buy me the books and if they thought I wasn't going to fail pay for the exams.
However, further maths obviously implies an accelerated maths schedule. I did sit in for statistics lessons but that's about it really - thankfully there was a teacher whose email I had that I could email if I got really stuck, but that didn't happen often. So yeah, entirely by choice - I knew universities respected further maths, so I did it (am doing it really - three exams left. FP3 and M2 on Monday D: and S2 on Tuesday).

Well, none of your modules depend on C3 or C4; so you should be able to do C3, C4 and one of the optional modules with the school's schedule. Then you'd have to teach yourself FP1 and two of D1/D2/S1, depending on what your school does. I'd really advise seeing if you can get a maths teacher to sacrifice one lesson a week for some one-on-one time. You'd be amazed at how much a teacher can explain to you if they don't have to spend ages on an entire class, and it could really help you get your head around some of the weirder or more difficult concepts.

So, tl:dr, do as much as you can with the school (easier), for other things see if you can get them to do a weekly lesson, otherwise study hard and aim to have all the extras under your belt by february/march so you've got plenty of time to practice and assimilate.

ALSO KEEP TRACK OF WHICH PAST PAPERS YOU DO I cannot stress enough. Get seriously OCDish. Make a table with your six modules and rows from 2003 till 2014, june/january and tick them off as you go.

Thanks for all your advice and congratulations! So what A levels did you do?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
hmmm well there's not much to cover in fp1 which makes it pretty easy, but i think the exam questions can be pretty challenging :tongue:

Ooh okay thanks!:smile: I'll attempt to get everything together and look at S1 over summer definitely. I did GCSE Stats. That involved Standard Deviation, Mean median mode, Binomial distribution, spearmans rank etc:smile: does any come up in S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by CD223
Thanks for all your advice and congratulations! So what A levels did you do?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uh, my pleasure.

In year 12 I did A-Level Maths, and AS Physics/Chemistry/English, plus Welsh Baccalaureate and two F.Maths exams. This year I'll be finishing off Physics, Chem and further maths.

So overall, Maths/F.Maths/Chem/Phys, + Welsh Bacc/AS-English.

How're you feeling about this set of exams then? Hopeful? I mean if you didn't think you'd passed things like C1/C2 I don't think you'd be contemplating self-taught AS-Further Maths :colondollar:

EDIT:

Original post by CD223
Ooh okay thanks!:smile: I'll attempt to get everything together and look at S1 over summer definitely. I did GCSE Stats. That involved Standard Deviation, Mean median mode, Binomial distribution, spearmans rank etc:smile: does any come up in S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You did Binomial Distribution in GCSE stats? O.O That's bloody S2 dude. As in like X~B(n,p) for a variable describing number of successes in n independent, random trials of something?

I didn't do stats at GCSE, but most of my friends did (different schools); as a result, they found A-Level relatively boring/monotonous. There's some new formula, and normal distribution, but not greatly beyond you.
Also I'd advise doing S2 over D2, S2 is a lot more fun :biggrin: (Personal opinion - search it up. S1 is boring af, but S2 is pretty easy and I imagine much more interesting than D2)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CD223
Wow well done! What are you doing after A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have an offer to study physics at Cambridge (if I get an A* in Further) but if not off to Durham
Reply 15
Original post by Basilla
Uh, my pleasure.

In year 12 I did A-Level Maths, and AS Physics/Chemistry/English, plus Welsh Baccalaureate and two F.Maths exams. This year I'll be finishing off Physics, Chem and further maths.

So overall, Maths/F.Maths/Chem/Phys, + Welsh Bacc/AS-English.

How're you feeling about this set of exams then? Hopeful? I mean if you didn't think you'd passed things like C1/C2 I don't think you'd be contemplating self-taught AS-Further Maths :colondollar:

EDIT:

You did Binomial Distribution in GCSE stats? O.O That's bloody S2 dude. As in like X~B(n,p) for a variable describing number of successes in n independent, random trials of something?

I didn't do stats at GCSE, but most of my friends did (different schools); as a result, they found A-Level relatively boring/monotonous. There's some new formula, and normal distribution, but not greatly beyond you.
Also I'd advise doing S2 over D2, S2 is a lot more fun :biggrin: (Personal opinion - search it up. S1 is boring af, but S2 is pretty easy and I imagine much more interesting than D2)

That's amazing! I'll only be doing 3 A2s and 2 AS levels overall in the two years!
What are you doing after college?

Yeah this set went well! Hoping for 74/75 in C1, 72/75 in C2 and 73/75 in M1 :smile:
How have yours gone?

We didn't do much other than what was covered in Binomials in C2 but we did briefly touch upon that - can't remember it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Sparta_Kane
Have an offer to study physics at Cambridge (if I get an A* in Further) but if not off to Durham

Just wow. Congratulations and good luck! I hope to do a BSc in Computer Science at uni. Did you do the Cambridge summer school? I've got that coming up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by CD223
That's amazing! I'll only be doing 3 A2s and 2 AS levels overall in the two years!
What are you doing after college?

Yeah this set went well! Hoping for 74/75 in C1, 72/75 in C2 and 73/75 in M1 :smile:
How have yours gone?

We didn't do much other than what was covered in Binomials in C2 but we did briefly touch upon that - can't remember it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right; your mixing binomial expansion with binomial distribution XD They're related but the prior knowledge of binomial expansion is pretty useless, as the formula plus tables are given in the booklet (for edexcel at least)

Sounds like you're doing pretty damn well! I've only had D1 so far concerning maths exams - I think I've got 74/75 there. Otherwise, it's chemistry and physics and your guess is as good as mine. :confused:
Given that the average Cambridge applicant has an average UMS of approx. 95% and due to messing up M1 and my AS practicals my average stands at just over 95%, I'm really pushing myself to get as close to max UMS as possible to up the ante. :colondollar: Unlikely I'll get in though. We'll see!
Reply 18
Original post by Basilla
Ahh right; your mixing binomial expansion with binomial distribution XD They're related but the prior knowledge of binomial expansion is pretty useless, as the formula plus tables are given in the booklet (for edexcel at least)

Sounds like you're doing pretty damn well! I've only had D1 so far concerning maths exams - I think I've got 74/75 there. Otherwise, it's chemistry and physics and your guess is as good as mine. :confused:
Given that the average Cambridge applicant has an average UMS of approx. 95% and due to messing up M1 and my AS practicals my average stands at just over 95%, I'm really pushing myself to get as close to max UMS as possible to up the ante. :colondollar: Unlikely I'll get in though. We'll see!

We definitely did Binomial Distribution in the FSMQ thing I did in Year 11, that's what I meant! Sorry it wasn't GCSE stats. We did Binomial expansion and then distribution but I can't remember any of the X B or P stuff even though I remember covering it!

Wow you're so clever! Good luck with everything! What do you want to do? I'm hoping to do Comp Sci hence why I'd do D1 and D2 next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

mean, median, mode, s.d do :P

Quick Reply

Latest