The Student Room Group

Should I wear heels to prom?

I'm 5 ft 2, so that's pretty short for a 16 year old girl, and I really don't want to wear my 6" high heels to prom because the whole night I'll be scared if I'm gonna fall over or not, and probably miss the fun, but I don't want to be the shortest! Even my 5 ft 7 friends are wearing massive heels so I'm going to be tiny! What should I do? Should I just embrace my shortness? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shilpasajan
I'm 5 ft 2, so that's pretty short for a 16 year old girl, and I really don't want to wear my 6" high heels to prom because the whole night I'll be scared if I'm gonna fall over or not, and probably miss the fun, but I don't want to be the shortest! Even my 5 ft 7 friends are wearing massive heels so I'm going to be tiny! What should I do? Should I just embrace my shortness? :frown:

Are platform soles still in or am I stuck in a 70s time warp
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Are platform soles still in or am I stuck in a 70s time warp

Haha yeah they are, and my heels do have them :smile:

If you don't feel comfortable wearing them, then don't :smile: it's better you enjoy yourself, I'm sure you'll look so lovely that no one will notice your height :teehee: even then, there's nothing wrong with being small, so embrace it as you said :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha yeah they are, and my heels do have them :smile:

Well there's your answer. I am also 5'2" - they were a Godsend in my younger days - although I look at my feet now and they are like extras from a horror movie
Reply 5
Original post by Changing Skies
If you don't feel comfortable wearing them, then don't :smile: it's better you enjoy yourself, I'm sure you'll look so lovely that no one will notice your height :teehee: even then, there's nothing wrong with being small, so embrace it as you said :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, but I hate the idea of having to look up to all my friends! Eh, I'll deal with it :L Thanks :wink: x

I was in the same situation as you - I'm 5ft 2in too hehe :smile: I didn't want to wear really high heels either because I've never worn heels before (properly, anyways) and I thought I'd fall over too. I got these shoes: http://www.newlook.com/shop/shoe-gallery/view-all-wide-fit/wide-fit-stone-lace-bow-ankle-strap-court-shoes_311692914 the heel is only 4in so makes me "normal" height. Even though some of my other friends will be taller than me, it won't be much of a difference so I don't mind :smile: (plus I absolutely adore the shoes so I couldn't resist but get them!)
Reply 7
Original post by malena123
I was in the same situation as you - I'm 5ft 2in too hehe :smile: I didn't want to wear really high heels either because I've never worn heels before (properly, anyways) and I thought I'd fall over too. I got these shoes: http://www.newlook.com/shop/shoe-gallery/view-all-wide-fit/wide-fit-stone-lace-bow-ankle-strap-court-shoes_311692914 the heel is only 4in so makes me "normal" height. Even though some of my other friends will be taller than me, it won't be much of a difference so I don't mind :smile: (plus I absolutely adore the shoes so I couldn't resist but get them!)

They are lovely :smile: But my prom is on Thursday! My only choice is 6" heels or flats :/
Reply 8
Okay, but I hate the idea of having to look up to all my friends! Eh, I'll deal with it :L Thanks :wink: x

Everyone already knows that you are short. One night will not change anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
Everyone already knows that you are short. One night will not change anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair point...
Wear heels, bring your flats.
You can put your heels on for all the photos so you don't look like Josh Hutcherson with the rest of The Hunger Games cast, and then leave them at your table (or carry them) and dance in your flats.
Babe, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you think heels will ruin your night- don't wear them! **** being the shortest one there I'm sure you'll have a much better time than the girls wearing massive heels getting blisters and in pain. If you really think you'll feel better in heels- go for it! But practice walking in them every day before going so you can be sure you won't trip/be too uncomfortable. I find that nice wedges are a good compromise because they're easy to walk in while still giving you height!

hope you have a great night whatever you do :smile:
Original post by minimarshmallow
Wear heels, bring your flats.
You can put your heels on for all the photos so you don't look like Josh Hutcherson with the rest of The Hunger Games cast, and then leave them at your table (or carry them) and dance in your flats.

But what about the length of my dress then?

I am awful at walking in heels but I found a really nice pair today and I am able to walk in them thank goodness!
Even though I'm 5'8 I don't want to look frumpy in my long dress :smile:

Try out different heels and find a comfortable height and then look for ones that would look nice with your dress. If you really hate heels and are too worried about falling over then don't do it :smile:
I wore flats (well converse) and I was so pleased because I was the only girl who could still walk at the end of prom
At first I felt quite short because everyone else was wearing heels
but tbh everyone took their shoes off when music started :smile:
have fun!
Original post by Spongebob0303
I wore flats (well converse) and I was so pleased because I was the only girl who could still walk at the end of prom
At first I felt quite short because everyone else was wearing heels
but tbh everyone took their shoes off when music started :smile:
have fun!

Well hey, that sounds good!
Original post by letsbehonest
I am awful at walking in heels but I found a really nice pair today and I am able to walk in them thank goodness!
Even though I'm 5'8 I don't want to look frumpy in my long dress :smile:

Try out different heels and find a comfortable height and then look for ones that would look nice with your dress. If you really hate heels and are too worried about falling over then don't do it :smile:

Yeah but I really don't have time to buy a new pair cos prom is on Thursday :frown:
Original post by themelon
I am having the same issue but for the opposite reason: if I wear heels, I will TOWER above all my friends because I'm already so tall and theyre all average height. But I REALLY want to wear heels :frown:. I'm thinking I might just crouch for the pictures??
You could try and get some easier heels to walk in? Or some shops sell insoles that makes heels comfier :smile:

Speaking from a short person's pov, I think you should give your friends a chance to be tall for one night, so maybe you should try a smaller heel :smile:
Original post by themelon
I never thought about it like that before, thanks for giving me that perspective :smile:

You're welcome :wink:
I generally feel more attractive and pretty in heels. Couldn't imagine going to my prom without heels and feeling short and unattractive. But that's just me.

So I have to probably say go for the heels. But also, do what makes you most comfortable.

Is your dress long? If it is, people will never know you're not wearing heels really (apart from they may notice you're shorter than normal compared to them obviously).

If your clutch/bag is big enough, get those really small "folding" pump shoes (have you seen them before?). They fold up and fit into a handbag no problem. Can put them on if you get too tired or they become hard to walk in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending