The Student Room Group

2:2 = No employment?

Scroll to see replies

EDIT - the OP was 4yrs old, how on earth did this post get into my feed! :smile:

You may find it harder to get your first break (formal graduate schemes are exceptionally competitive anyway - including when you have a 1st/2.1), but once you land your first so-called 'proper job', 2.2 (and everything) will become irrelevant. Speaking as someone in my early 30s, the majority of my friends have degrees at 2.2/2.1, and we all now have good jobs. Some took slightly longer to get that first break (and not necessarily due to their degree grade).

Far too many young people waste so much time and experience so much stress about fretting that their 2.2 won't land them on a graduate scheme, when they probably wouldn't have got on it in the first place. Formal graduate schemes are the tip of the iceberg as far as quality employment prospects (for grads and non-grads).

A masters is not a magic bullet, but it's worth pointing out that many, many courses accept 2.2 degrees. Even if their website etc. stipulates 2.1. Talk to a human being in the admissions department before you're put off from applying - everything in life is negotiable.
(edited 5 years ago)
I just wanted to add on this feed, I know it’s quite old but for those for are reading. At 17 I was taken away from my family, during my uni I faced a lot of hardship which ultimately led me to get a 2:2, I smashed third year and placement year but wasn’t enough to pull it up. I thought I was doomed, a 2:2 in biomedicine?
However, I didn’t find it difficult, I got into a top graduate scheme at 33k starting salary in a technology scheme. This was a job that has over 10,000 applicants with people there who had firsts in computer sci etc. If you have experience in what you want to do, you show passion, you’re confident, you pass the tests to get to the AC, you show you’re a team player and show you went out your way to learn about their company, they will hire you. I got into my scheme 3 months after graduating, and AC for sky, Fujitsu, Bt and EY. I turned them down because I got into my one. Don’t listen to anyone who says you can’t! It is more about other experiences you’ve done, I had done a placement, 4+ years in retail during uni and a marketing job and a data job during my time at uni. I showed a lot more experience than others who had firsts in a degree and that’s it. So build yourself and shoot for whatever you want! :smile: just a inspirational post for anyone who felt like me with a 2:2! Keep building yourself!
Reply 62
Original post by username5062560
I just wanted to add on this feed, I know it’s quite old but for those for are reading. At 17 I was taken away from my family, during my uni I faced a lot of hardship which ultimately led me to get a 2:2, I smashed third year and placement year but wasn’t enough to pull it up. I thought I was doomed, a 2:2 in biomedicine?
However, I didn’t find it difficult, I got into a top graduate scheme at 33k starting salary in a technology scheme. This was a job that has over 10,000 applicants with people there who had firsts in computer sci etc. If you have experience in what you want to do, you show passion, you’re confident, you pass the tests to get to the AC, you show you’re a team player and show you went out your way to learn about their company, they will hire you. I got into my scheme 3 months after graduating, and AC for sky, Fujitsu, Bt and EY. I turned them down because I got into my one. Don’t listen to anyone who says you can’t! It is more about other experiences you’ve done, I had done a placement, 4+ years in retail during uni and a marketing job and a data job during my time at uni. I showed a lot more experience than others who had firsts in a degree and that’s it. So build yourself and shoot for whatever you want! :smile: just a inspirational post for anyone who felt like me with a 2:2! Keep building yourself!

When did you do this? In the currently strong jobs market?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending