The Student Room Group

Advice on my a-level choices

I've just finished year 11 and I'm going into sixth form in September. Three a-levels that I definitely want to do are Chemistry, English Lit/Lang and Spanish. For the fourth option, I'm undecided between either History or Biology. After revising for Biology GCSE I realised that I don't like it all that much, however if I don't do it for a-level I won't be able to do a science degree (as most require two sciences). So that means I'll be doing a Modern Languages Degree, which I would love, but I'm not sure about the job prospects.

Has anyone done any of these subjects and how did you find them?

Also, one last quick question, how hard would it be to do a-level maths with an A at GCSE? I do enjoy maths but not circle theorems and the complicated graphs. Because if I did Maths A-level then I could still do a science degree.
I did both biology and history at A2 and loved them both (and will be doing a degree in both!) If you weren't too keen on biology at GCSE, then perhaps choose history. Having said that, I wasn't too passionate about it myself, I took it because I wanted to be a vet. However, at A level, I found it much more enjoyable, it gets a lot more interesting :yep: biology would obviously open more doors for you as you've acknowledged in the fact that you couId do a science degree.

Both involve a fairly good memory as both have a lot of content. They both also require mastering a certain technique; biology applying your knowledge and history getting the essay structure right. In all honesty, just go for the one you believe you will enjoy more as both tend to require a fair deal of effort! Do you know which exam boards you would be with?

If you have any questions about either subject, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
I did both biology and history at A2 and loved them both (and will be doing a degree in both!) If you weren't too keen on biology at GCSE, then perhaps choose history. Having said that, I wasn't too passionate about it myself, I took it because I wanted to be a vet. However, at A level, I found it much more enjoyable, it gets a lot more interesting :yep: biology would obviously open more doors for you as you've acknowledged in the fact that you couId do a science degree.

Both involve a fairly good memory as both have a lot of content. They both also require mastering a certain technique; biology applying your knowledge and history getting the essay structure right. In all honesty, just go for the one you believe you will enjoy more as both tend to require a fair deal of effort! Do you know which exam boards you would be with?

If you have any questions about either subject, feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! According to the 2013 prospectus (can't find the 2014 one) biology would be with AQA and history with AQA as well :smile:
Reply 3
Biology is difficult, if you don't like it now you will absolutely despise it at A-level.
i did both biology and maths at a-level. i found biology quite boring at GCSE but at a-level it's completely different than at GCSE! i can say that i have really enjoyed doing A2 biology! there is quite a lot of information to learn but if you manage your time well, you could do it! maths for a-level is MUCH harder than GCSE! i got a very high B at GCSE (4 marks off an A) and nearly failed AS.... however AS maths is somewhat easier than A2... but there are many graphs to learn (but no circle theorems!)

hope this helped and don't be scared to pm if you need more advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm 16 and have the same problem with choosing my A level options. I want to go down the Business route of possibly HR management so I have already decided to take Economics, Business and Geography. My problem is that I can't decided between Maths and English Language. I did both exams early and got an A in Maths and a C in English (which I re sat about a month ago). Although it sounds like I sound automatically take maths I worked extremely hard and revised loads for maths but not so much for English.

If anyone does Maths or English Language I would appreciate any advice on which one to take. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest