The Student Room Group

Uni of Westminster, International planning and sustainable development

Hi,

I might be joining the International Planning and Sustainable Development course at uni of Westminster this September I just wanted to ask how much do I need to know beforehand as I have only graduated a year ago from architecture at another uni, I am worried I wont be ready or have enough background knowledge on the topics.

If anyone knows anything about it that would help a lot.

Thanks in advance
Start reading on 'Development'. You have no background in Social Science and there are a heap of concepts you need to get up to speed on as you will be alongside folk who have spent the last 3 years studying Development and allied issues.

Start with something like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Companion-Development-Studies-Third-Edition/dp/1444167243 and then followup on any references/citations etc.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Start reading on 'Development'. You have no background in Social Science and there are a heap of concepts you need to get up to speed on as you will be alongside folk who have spent the last 3 years studying Development and allied issues.

Start with something like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Companion-Development-Studies-Third-Edition/dp/1444167243 and then followup on any references/citations etc.

hi, thanks for the reply, is it a ridiculous amount I will have to catch up on?

what other topics can I read about ?

and is it so much that I may need to defer the year in order to gain full knowledge and get fully ready,

thanks in advance
If you were really that unprepared, its unlikely you'd have been offered a place.

You just need to get your head stuck into some books over the Summer and do some graft. As long as you have the basics nailed by October then you'll probably be okay but the course will still be hard going and you will find it tougher than someone with a traditional Soc Sci background. Its do-able but be prepared to have to work harder than others around you.
Reply 4
Normally, the uni's department will publish a reading list for its course content or even some pre-enrollment reading. Some uni even put some online learning modules. You should have contacted current students or course director with your query.

Why are you so clueless? Are you from abroad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending