The Student Room Group

I'm Mad Vlad, Ask Me Anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mad Vlad
1) There was an element of dramatics in my comment. :wink:
2) We are the most intelligent and highly evolved species by a considerable margin
3) The point is, we're designed to eat meat. We've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years. 4.There isn't a valid reason why it should be forbidden. 5.Some people exercise their right to choose, and fair enough to them but I strongly disagree with them.
6) Primarily the latter. I prefer eating animal products that come from animals that have been well looked after.

1. OK.

2. I am assuming we = humans. No one knows what intelligence is. Scientists are still arguing about what it means. I am going to assume that by intelligence you mean whatever an IQ test measures. You are said to be more intelligent than me if your IQ score is higher than mine. Now, put a 5 year old chimp and a 5 year old child to do an IQ test and let's see how different their scores are. My bet is that there will be a difference but what do we conclude from that? Brain-damaged individuals will also score low. Fact is: some life forms (both human and non-human) will score high and other life forms (both human and non-human) low. Should we then give rights on the basis on IQ?

3. Are we? We certainly do have teeth and can process meat but it does not follow that we were designed for x. Eating meat is an evolutionary trait that we have. But I would not say that we are designed for x. Let me give you an example. Rape and infanticide can be found in many species and one could think that it is an evolutionary advantage to do these things but I would not say that we are designed for that. And even if we were, I would not say that rape/eating-meat/infanticide is okay just because it gave an evolutionary edge to my ancestors. This was just to put your "we were designed for x. We've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years" in a wider context.

4. "There isn't a valid reason why it should be forbidden." That depends on what mean by a valid reason. Similarly, many people would say that "There isn't a valid reason why x should be forbidden." where x could be something of benefit to someone (for example: slavery for slavers).

5. "Some people exercise their right to choose" I would not call it right. I would call it power. It does not have the metaphysical connotations of the word "right" and is more physicalist. "and fair enough to them but I strongly disagree with them." Why?

6. Assuming there is no negative effect in the safety/taste of the meat that comes out, I am curious as to why do you so care so much for their suffering if you are going to kill them for your pleasure?

Sorry if I wrote too much. :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Ex Mod. I left the team over a year ago.

Uni was hard graft for me. I don't miss it. I never got to have the normal uni experience. For a life without responsibilities I'd have to go back half of my lifetime... It's been so long that I've forgotten what it feels like

What sort of responsibilities do you have? Family-related, job-related?

I thought you uni life was good when you did your DigForensic degree.
Reply 742
Original post by welcometoib
oh. id ask why but maybe a personal reason, even though this is an ama haha.

:frown: im sorry for that, you got a first iirc so you took it more seriously than a lot of people around me, who are mollycoddled by their parents even in final year uni.

if you could go back half your life, so 15-16ish? what is the one main thing youd have done differently, or the one thing youd have told yourself?

Oh no, I was sick of it. It was a horrendous chore and constantly having to bite my tongue when my predictions came true became dull and boring. I had better ways to spend my free time.

Yeah, I'm what you'd call self-made. I am where I am today through hard work, not charity. I went from working a minimum wage job to doing what I do now without the help of welfare or assistance from my family. That I can be proud of.

I tend not to think about what I would have done differently. There are few choices I have made that I'd make differently. These few I'll keep for myself.
Reply 743
Original post by Juichiro
1. OK.

2. I am assuming we = humans. No one knows what intelligence is. Scientists are still arguing about what it means. I am going to assume that by intelligence you mean whatever an IQ test measures. You are said to be more intelligent than me if your IQ score is higher than mine. Now, put a 5 year old chimp and a 5 year old child to do an IQ test and let's see how different their scores are. My bet is that there will be a difference but what do we conclude from that? Brain-damaged individuals will also score low. Fact is: some life forms (both human and non-human) will score high and other life forms (both human and non-human) low. Should we then give rights on the basis on IQ?

3. Are we? We certainly do have teeth and can process meat but it does not follow that we were designed for x. Eating meat is an evolutionary trait that we have. But I would not say that we are designed for x. Let me give you an example. Rape and infanticide can be found in many species and one could think that it is an evolutionary advantage to do these things but I would not say that we are designed for that. And even if we were, I would not say that rape/eating-meat/infanticide is okay just because it gave an evolutionary edge to my ancestors. This was just to put your "we were designed for x. We've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years" in a wider context.

4. "There isn't a valid reason why it should be forbidden." That depends on what mean by a valid reason. Similarly, many people would say that "There isn't a valid reason why x should be forbidden." where x could be something of benefit to someone (for example: slavery for slavers).

5. "Some people exercise their right to choose" I would not call it right. I would call it power. It does not have the metaphysical connotations of the word "right" and is more physicalist. "and fair enough to them but I strongly disagree with them." Why?

6. Assuming there is no negative effect in the safety/taste of the meat that comes out, I am curious as to why do you so care so much for their suffering if you are going to kill them for your pleasure?

Sorry if I wrote too much. :redface:

I haven't the will to debate this tbh. :erm:
Shao Kahn or Sauron?
Reply 745
Original post by Juichiro
What sort of responsibilities do you have? Family-related, job-related?

I thought you uni life was good when you did your DigForensic degree.

Job related.

It was pretty arduous. I was studying and working full time - frequently working 80-90 hours a week, to to make ends meet for me and my family.
Why is so much race hatred allowing on TSR?

Is it because it'd be a nightmare deleting all the posts?
Reply 747
Original post by somemightsay888
Shao Kahn or Sauron?

Is there a meme I'm missing here? :curious:
Reply 748
Original post by aaronlowe
Why is so much race hatred allowing on TSR?

Is it because it'd be a nightmare deleting all the posts?

I really don't think there is, but it's not my responsibility. I'm not a member of the CT or the glorified forum assistants.
Is there a meme I'm missing here? :curious:

No :erm: I just wanted your opinion :getmecoat:
Reply 750
No :erm: I just wanted your opinion :getmecoat:

Oh, ok.

I don't know tbh.
Oh no, I was sick of it. It was a horrendous chore and constantly having to bite my tongue when my predictions came true became dull and boring. I had better ways to spend my free time.

Yeah, I'm what you'd call self-made. I am where I am today through hard work, not charity. I went from working a minimum wage job to doing what I do now without the help of welfare or assistance from my family. That I can be proud of.

I tend not to think about what I would have done differently. There are few choices I have made that I'd make differently. These few I'll keep for myself.

i wish you had stayed, you speak straight, not bull**** like a lot of others, saying flowery crap like oh please keep discussion on topic, wawa im going to abuse power and close thread etc.

thats something i hope to achieve to, came from a similar background and have never had any help. its infuriating seeing others flop yet have their parents as a safety net for money and a job after university, ill be there too though.

did you ever suffer from that anger or did you just not have time to think about others haha? something im working on. :frown:

fair enough buddy youre already answering all qs
Oh, ok.

I don't know tbh.

What was your worst game of 2014 and current worst game of this year?
Mad vlad, hi, big fan.

Whats your fave toothpaste brand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 754
What was your worst game of 2014 and current worst game of this year?

Watch_dogs was a big disappointment last year.

I'll be the first to admit that my gaming activities this year so far have been scarce... I've found myself spending a lot of time on maybe about 5 or 6 big titles and not really playing much else. Haven't had the "opportunity" to be painfully disappointed with a game, so far this year.
Reply 755
Original post by jeopardy
Mad vlad, hi, big fan.

Whats your fave toothpaste brand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

I'm an Oral-B Complete user, personally.
Thanks.

I'm an Oral-B Complete user, personally.

Ah, so you are a fan of oral?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 757
Ah, so you are a fan of oral?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very much so.
Very much so.

Thanks for your answers.

Other than oral i see from previous posts you enjoy video games?

Do you like borderlands and what system do you play on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 759
Thanks for your answers.

Other than oral i see from previous posts you enjoy video games?

Do you like borderlands and what system do you play on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a member of the PC master race. And it's on my list of things to do.

Quick Reply

Latest