The Student Room Group

How do I recover from this?

In the previous term I was assigned this guy for a group project. I seen him in my class before but I honestly never even heard him speak or even knew his name. However during the group project he was extremely helpful and just great to talk to. He was never one to start conversations, but he was always very funny once I managed to get him going.

I started to talk to him after classes as well, either on his way to the bus stop, or on Whatsapp. I wanted to get closer to him, but he was certainly making it difficult. When I started to prod him about relationships and stuff, I was kinda surprised to hear he never had a girlfriend, which I doubt is pretty common for a 21-year old guy.

As time went on, between the fact he never as much as held hands with a girl, and between the way he looked, some of his actions, and certain other details, I sorta convinced myself into thinking he could just be gay. Yes I know it sounds dumb now, but it sounded logical at the time... Plus I know there is a trend of girls claiming that guys don't want them just because they're gay or something, so I want to make it very clear that isn't what I meant. That didn't mean I didn't want to stop talking to him. He was still fun to talk to once he did start talking, and he was really helpful in uni stuff.

I wanted to test my theory, and starting prodding him about stuff relating to pride month and what not. He was clearly confused about why I was talking about it all of a sudden. I tried to keep the conversation going, but at some point he figured out what I meant. He seem genuinely surprised, even offended that I thought he was gay. I brought up stuff like the fact he never had a girlfriend or anything, but it didn't help my case. I felt so insanely embarrassed, but in his usual way he just brushed it off with a joke or two, even if he also seemed very awkward.

After that awkward encounter, I feel like I'm out of ideas on what to do. He's not mad at me or anything obviously, and I still want to get closer to him. And I honestly can't tell if he's just that shy and scared to get conversations going with me, or if he's just generally not interested in me and I'm just forcing myself onto him. So what can I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
In the previous term I was assigned this guy for a group project. I seen him in my class before but I honestly never even heard him speak or even knew his name. However during the group project he was extremely helpful and just great to talk to. He was never one to start conversations, but he was always very funny once I managed to get him going.

I started to talk to him after classes as well, either on his way to the bus stop, or on Whatsapp. I wanted to get closer to him, but he was certainly making it difficult. When I started to prod him about relationships and stuff, I was kinda surprised to hear he never had a girlfriend, which I doubt is pretty common for a 21-year old guy.

As time went on, between the fact he never as much as held hands with a girl, and between the way he looked, some of his actions, and certain other details, I sorta convinced myself into thinking he could just be gay. Yes I know it sounds dumb now, but it sounded logical at the time... Plus I know there is a trend of girls claiming that guys don't want them just because they're gay or something, so I want to make it very clear that isn't what I meant. That didn't mean I didn't want to stop talking to him. He was still fun to talk to once he did start talking, and he was really helpful in uni stuff.

I wanted to test my theory, and starting prodding him about stuff relating to pride month and what not. He was clearly confused about why I was talking about it all of a sudden. I tried to keep the conversation going, but at some point he figured out what I meant. He seem genuinely surprised, even offended that I thought he was gay. I brought up stuff like the fact he never had a girlfriend or anything, but it didn't help my case. I felt so insanely embarrassed, but in his usual way he just brushed it off with a joke or two, even if he also seemed very awkward.

After that awkward encounter, I feel like I'm out of ideas on what to do. He's not mad at me or anything obviously, and I still want to get closer to him. And I honestly can't tell if he's just that shy and scared to get conversations going with me, or if he's just generally not interested in me and I'm just forcing myself onto him. So what can I do?

Maybe he's just an introvert. Why don't you just let him know you like him but with either expectation (acceptance/rejection). Come back with the result under this post. Good luck.
Reply 2

ngl i feel bad for the guy, if he isnt giving you defininate answers or signs, why do you keep feeling the need to prod even more? He sounds like an introvert and me being one myself, what your doing would make me even more shy and scared to talk to you. He probably does what to be your friend but i think its better if you make your relationship with him stronger instead of headbutting him with personal questions lol
Reply 3
I would just be honest - tell him you are so sorry, and you genuinley feel terrible about it. then i would tell him ow you feel, and mention how this is why you thought what you though. i think the best thing to do instead of ignoring it is it tell the truth.
Reply 4

Just ask him back to your place, your bedroom, he'll quickly get the idea. Unless he finds you ugly no guy turns down an invitation like that :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by beefreya
I would just be honest - tell him you are so sorry, and you genuinley feel terrible about it. then i would tell him ow you feel, and mention how this is why you thought what you though. i think the best thing to do instead of ignoring it is it tell the truth.

I mean already apologise instantly when it happened. And like I said it doesn't seem like he's mad with me at all. It's just I really don't know where I can do from here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending