The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Hi all,

Just wondered who is applying for Nursing for 2015?

I'm applying for Children's Nursing @ Southampton, Bournemouth, UWE and Birmingham City!

(Currently an Access Student)

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Useful Info/Links for 2015 Nursing and Midwifery Applicants

You can find other Nursing and Midwifery applicants on TSR using Connect - this lets you find out not only who else has applied but if they've had interviews/offers and where they have accepted.

There are threads for each branch of nursing and midwifery:

Adult Nursing Applicants

Childrens Nursing Applicants

Learning Disability Nursing Applicants

Mental Health Nursing Applicants

Midwifery Applicants

If you want to find out more about specific universities then you can find your own university on this list of all university forums. There you can find help from other applicants and students on all courses, information about accommodation and how to apply and lots of other handy resources.

Lastly check out the "Useful Resources" box on the right hand side of the Nursing and Midwifery forum - this has links to resources including personal statements and where on TSR to look for help with Student Finance and NHS Bursaries.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am currently in the process of applying for 2015 entry for Mental Health Nursing and have completed applications for: Wolverhampton, Keele, Staffordshire, Coventry and Birmingham City (so that I'm able to commute, hopefully, from where I'm based, aha).
Reply 3
I'm applying for children's nursing for 2015 at Southampton, Oxford Brooke's and surrey! I went to look around kings college but didn't like it. I've just got back from Africa. I'm about to start my second year out of education after my A levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for children's nursing September 2014 @ University of West London and I have just been accepted! Ahhh! So excited for the future.
Reply 5
I'm applying for Adult nursing at Brighton, Surrey, Oxford brookes, Canterbury Christchurch and UEA :smile:
I'm applying for Adult Nursing at Teesside, Northumbria and Hull :smile:
I am gonna be applying to Kings, UWE, Bournemouth ,Birmingham City and Plymouth universities for Children's Nursing in 2015/2016 or 2016/2017 :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm applying for Coventry and Birmingham as I am a mature/old student with a child so need to be able to commute!
I've just finished my first year of a Children's Nursing degree so if you have any questions, just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ill be applying for Adult at Manchester, Manchester met, Salford, UCLAN and either Edge Hill or Chester. Have 3 kids and a husband so have to stay close to home!!
Reply 11
I'll be apply for child nursing 2015 at Nottingham, Southampton, City, King's College and South Bank
Reply 12
Original post by Sophi12
I've just finished my first year of a Children's Nursing degree so if you have any questions, just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I have a few questions sorry

1. What BTEC, A Level or Level 3 course did you do prior to the degree ?
2. What work experience or voluntary work did you do that was relevant to children's nursing or health care in general ?
3. What's the course like as a whole ?
4. Do you have any tips or advice as I am struggling to start my child nursing personal statement ?
Original post by Shanzii
Hi, I have a few questions sorry

1. What BTEC, A Level or Level 3 course did you do prior to the degree ?
2. What work experience or voluntary work did you do that was relevant to children's nursing or health care in general ?
3. What's the course like as a whole ?
4. Do you have any tips or advice as I am struggling to start my child nursing personal statement ?

Hiya
1) I did a-levels before my course :smile: however my subject choices do shock some people as i did a level business studies, economics and psychology, and as politics.
2) the only experience i had was volunteering at a school for children with physical and behavioural difficulties, which i thought would disadvantage me but didnt!!
3) Being completely honest, it is hard work and very different to most other courses in terms of hours at uni and placement,however, all the stress and hours are defo worth it :smile:
4) dont use the phrase ' ive wanted to do it all my life' as that puts most unis off. If you don't have much experience (like me) talk about the skills you have acquired from your studies and any part time job, work experience, volunteer work and how this is transferrable to being a children's nurse. Be honest about your experience, as they will ask about it at interviews and ask what you learnt from it.

Good luck, pm me if you have any more questions x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys! I am a 2014 applicant! I've just got a place at University of Southampton for Nursing (Child). I did GCSEs and A-levels and applied to Southampton, Oxford Brookes and Nottingham- as well as York and Edge hill but withdrew from the latter two. If any of you want any advice with regards to your application, PS, interviews, etc. feel free to PM me or send me a tweet @MBradSewell and ill be happy to help!! Good luck guys!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by bm_sewell
Hi Guys! I am a 2014 applicant! I've just got a place at University of Southampton for Nursing (Child). I did GCSEs and A-levels and applied to Southampton, Oxford Brookes and Nottingham- as well as York and Edge hill but withdrew from the latter two. If any of you want any advice with regards to your application, PS, interviews, etc. feel free to PM me or send me a tweet @MBradSewell and ill be happy to help!! Good luck guys!!!! :biggrin:

Hiya I'm applying to study children's nursing at uni next year but I'm stuck and scared of not getting a offer. What experiences and stuff do you need to get and is there anything I can do in the interview process to stand out
Reply 16
Original post by what
Hi all,

Just wondered who is applying for Nursing for 2015?

I'm applying for Children's Nursing @ Southampton, Bournemouth, UWE and Birmingham City!

What is

(Currently an Access Student)

:smile:

What is an access course ??
Original post by Becca335
Hiya I'm applying to study children's nursing at uni next year but I'm stuck and scared of not getting a offer. What experiences and stuff do you need to get and is there anything I can do in the interview process to stand out

Hi :smile:

it's best not to worry too much and just go for it! As long as you have a passion for nursing and make it show you should do fine :smile:well most unis will ask for some sort of experience in a health and social care setting. I'd say for child branch try and get experience in primary and secondary schools, or nurseries or a hospital of some sorts if you can! If not, a care home or something along those lines. They will appreciate hospital experience is very difficult to get so don't worry too much! Just remember to talk and reflect on all your experiences in your PS!!!
In terms of interview, read up on stuff in the nursing times and health care news on BBC news website ect and talk about that as it's good to show you have an interest in current nursing topics! Other than that, just come across passionate! Let other people talk if you are In a group interview but on the other hand don't let you be overshadowed! It's best to nod and give eye contact and agree and disagree with comments! But most of all as long as you dress smart and come across passionate about nursing and talk about your experiences you will be fine :smile:

Good luck and if you need any more advice or support just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by bm_sewell
Hi :smile:
Than
it's best not to worry too much and just go for it! As long as you have a passion for nursing and make it show you should do fine :smile:well most unis will ask for some sort of experience in a health and social care setting. I'd say for child branch try and get experience in primary and secondary schools, or nurseries or a hospital of some sorts if you can! If not, a care home or something along those lines. They will appreciate hospital experience is very difficult to get so don't worry too much! Just remember to talk and reflect on all your experiences in your PS!!!
In terms of interview, read up on stuff in the nursing times and health care news on BBC news website ect and talk about that as it's good to show you have an interest in current nursing topics! Other than that, just come across passionate! Let other people talk if you are In a group interview but on the other hand don't let you be overshadowed! It's best to nod and give eye contact and agree and disagree with comments! But most of all as long as you dress smart and come across passionate about nursing and talk about your experiences you will be fine :smile:

Good luck and if you need any more advice or support just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'm a bit shy and did have interviews for adult nursing but didn't get an offer but now I'm growing as a person and I'm trying to improve my confidence more

I've applied to help in the hospital and to help in the shop

Applied and looking for work experience in children's hospital Manchester Birmingham and Salford

I live in north wales

I've also contacted my local primary school to see if I can either help in the breakfasts club and after school clubs

I've had work experience in the hospital

But because of reasons I can't explain I've been in a coma you see and when I came round and started recovering I was talking to some nurses and they said never do adult nursing it's the worst thing you can ever do and I've always wanted to be a childrens nurse but because of limited spaces I chose adult .....so really I want to give something back to them something I can say well no words can explain basically so yeah

I need to get in - do I need to do an access course or not ?? I've just done and finished my a levels

Welsh bac - A
Health and social double - BC
Applied science - D
Religious education - D

People are doing loads of access to health I could do one in my college but they're saying it's a waste of money

I also help and volunteer at at johns ambulance and I'm joining the Red Cross

Please can you help me with anything else x
Reply 19
Original post by Sophi12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya I'm so so passion about becoming a children's nurse I'm just wondering what experiences did you have and did you do any volunteering 1. Any volunteering or work experience
2. What qualifications gcse a levels or college courses
3. What sort of questions did they ask and what is the group discussion
4. What did you do to stand out
5. Are they're older people more or younger

C

Sorry for all that

Ar

Can you choose where you want to be placed

How is the work load and what do you get to do on the ward of the children's hospital

How do you get your uniform

You see I'm really passion about becoming a nurse and I really want it like no words can explain

Please can you help me x

Quick Reply

Latest