The Student Room Group

IB diploma / certificate self-taught?

Hello. I would like to ask:
- is it possible to do self-taught maths for IB?
- if it is possible, how do I submit the Maths Internal Assessment?
- Is there anyone else here doing a self-taught IB certificate course or diploma? What are your experience?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Level 6 for SL maths isn't easy, a level 5 is doable but from my experience, unless you're exceptionally good at maths there aren't many chances of getting a level 6. But of course it depends on how much time and effort you put into it :smile:

Yes, it's possible to do self-taught SL maths but I strongly suggest getting yourself a tutor, especially for a subject like this.

What you do for this is: you have to call up the nearest school who does IB, talk to them and explain them your situation. You will pay them the registration and exam fees, they will register you and send your application to IB and will also assign you a teacher who will help you come up with a topic for your IA (they have changed the maths curriculum this year so you have to pick your own topic for maths IA instead of the teacher giving you a problem for solving) and check up on your progress.
So your school will submit the IA for you and any problem you might have, you will have to contact the school. There's no way you can register for IB yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shopoholic
Level 6 for SL maths isn't easy, a level 5 is doable but from my experience, unless you're exceptionally good at maths there aren't many chances of getting a level 6. But of course it depends on how much time and effort you put into it :smile:

Yes, it's possible to do self-taught SL maths but I strongly suggest getting yourself a tutor, especially for a subject like this.

What you do for this is: you have to call up the nearest school who does IB, talk to them and explain them your situation. You will pay them the registration and exam fees, they will register you and send your application to IB and will also assign you a teacher who will help you come up with a topic for your IA (they have changed the maths curriculum this year so you have to pick your own topic for maths IA instead of the teacher giving you a problem for solving) and check up on your progress.
So your school will submit the IA for you and any problem you might have, you will have to contact the school. There's no way you can register for IB yourself.

Hey Shopaholic! Thank you for your prompt response! It seems like I have missed out a lot on the IB curriculum.

I am actually a fresh university graduate and I am considering retaking my IB SL Maths purely because most graduate schemes require a minimum of 300 UCAS points.

No matter how well I have performed at university or how reputable the university I went to, most graduate scheme employers have a minimum of 300 UCAS points from secondary school for admission. These include multinational firms like KPMG, Deloitte, Aldi, Unilever etc.

So therefore, although university grades are quite important for getting a job to some extent, dont screw up your IB grades too badly because it will haunt you when it comes to graduate schemes.

Are you doing IB currently?
Reply 3
DONT even think of doing IB all by yourself.
You'll definitely need teachers' support.

FYI, i just finished my IB.
Reply 4
Original post by anuj999
DONT even think of doing IB all by yourself.
You'll definitely need teachers' support.

FYI, i just finished my IB.

I only need to resit Maths SL as a self-taught student and receive a certificate for it
Self-taught IB diploma with 6x subjects + TOK and EE is beyond suicidal as we all know

Just wondering if anyone here actually self-taught themselves maths or other subjects, and their experience.
Original post by AlanChanXD
Hey Shopaholic! Thank you for your prompt response! It seems like I have missed out a lot on the IB curriculum.

I am actually a fresh university graduate and I am considering retaking my IB SL Maths purely because most graduate schemes require a minimum of 300 UCAS points.

No matter how well I have performed at university or how reputable the university I went to, most graduate scheme employers have a minimum of 300 UCAS points from secondary school for admission. These include multinational firms like KPMG, Deloitte, Aldi, Unilever etc.

So therefore, although university grades are quite important for getting a job to some extent, dont screw up your IB grades too badly because it will haunt you when it comes to graduate schemes.

Hi, yes I have done IB. Graduated last summer :smile:

I read your post before you edited it so I already knew why you needed to do resits. Good luck for them!
Reply 6
Original post by AlanChanXD

If you need more UCAS points, why not self -teach an A-level? I don't know much about IB other than that all your subjects count as one qualification, so why not self-teach an AL that takes your fancy, and if you take it to A2 it could be worth up to 120 UCAS points alone. I know people manage to successfully self-teach lots of AL subjects, and the Internet has a lot of help to offer because they're one of the most common qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending