The Student Room Group

S2 and M2

Could someone adivse me on how to solve these problems:

1. In a county, there are on average 1.8 potholes per 100m of roadway. Calulate the probablity that there are fewre than 3 potholes in each of the 5 randomly chosen 200m streches of the countries roadways. (ans 0.00254)

I was thinking that it was a poisson distribution, and I thought that you would have to do 1.8*2 due to the differnce in road length....... but using a variety of methods i couldnt get the ans in the back of the book.

2. A block P moving on a horizontal surface with speed 4m/s hits a stationary block Q. After the colllision both blocks move in the same direction with speeds 3m/s and 1m/s. State which block has speed 3m/s and calculate the coefficient of restitution.

I said that Q was travelling at 3m/s as it was infront.... for the rest of it do you have to do something with the impulses??

orangeness
Reply 1
orange soap

2. A block P moving on a horizontal surface with speed 4m/s hits a stationary block Q. After the colllision both blocks move in the same direction with speeds 3m/s and 1m/s. State which block has speed 3m/s and calculate the coefficient of restitution.

I said that Q was travelling at 3m/s as it was infront.... for the rest of it do you have to do something with the impulses??

orangeness

don't they give you the masses of the blocks, or any relationship between the masses?
Reply 2
nope
orange soap
Could someone adivse me on how to solve these problems:

1. In a county, there are on average 1.8 potholes per 100m of roadway. Calulate the probablity that there are fewre than 3 potholes in each of the 5 randomly chosen 200m streches of the countries roadways. (ans 0.00254)

I was thinking that it was a poisson distribution, and I thought that you would have to do 1.8*2 due to the differnce in road length....... but using a variety of methods i couldnt get the ans in the back of the book.

orangeness

For question 2 Block Q must be moving at 3m/s since they both travelling the same direction and if Q was less than P then they would colide again,

coefficient of resitution = speed of seperation/speed of approach
e=2/4
e=0.5
cant help with the stats im afraid as i dont do it
Reply 4
any help with stinky stats?

Latest

Trending

Trending