The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

By the way what is the likelihood of getting an interview with a kick arse ps and abc/abb or prediction and what would you say a good competitive ukcat score is?
Original post by medicinehope
By the way what is the likelihood of getting an interview with a kick arse ps and abc/abb or prediction and what would you say a good competitive ukcat score is?

They interview around 96 applicants and last year there were 600 applicants approximately. The UKCAT is only used to decide between 2 applicants if the university cannot decide after interview so there is no real score to aim for, just the higher the better obviously.

If your PS is kickass then there is a really good chance of getting an interview. But only if it is really kick ass. 1 in 6 get an interview. Just under 1 in 2 that get an interview get an offer.
What kind of things will they ask at the interview and what are they looking for also I'm bm6 what kind of things do you learn ie on a day to day level is it basically biology? Also what can I do that will make me look better than other applicants
What kind of things will they ask at the interview and what are they looking for also I'm bm6 what kind of things do you learn ie on a day to day level is it basically biology? Also what can I do that will make me look better than other applicants

The interview is a standard medicine interview with standard medicine questions and it will be based around your personal statement so everyones is different.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm6_a102.page?
This is the programme structure and a general overview of what you cover. It covers the basics from each of the units from BM5 so when you start BM5 you're ahead. It isn't quite "biology". I mean, it is biology, but it is more "medicine".

Reflecting in your personal statement is the most important thing. Making sure you show what you got out of your experiences rather than just listing what you've done.
Reply 144
Hello, I am interested in applying for BM6 for 2015 entry, however Im in a dilema

I will have done 3 years in college as I resat my AS year however without resiting my AS year it looks possible that I could have still attained the BBC need at A2. Would they take this into consideration when assessing my application or should I not bother applying.

First year AS - CCCDE
2nd year AS - ABBBBC
A2 - (Awaiting)

I got 1A* 5As 4Bs & 2Cs at GCSE

I also did a BTEC qualification which I achieved 2 Distinction & 1 Pass
in ICT, Spanish & Art respectively
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ractoa
Hello, I am interested in applying for BM6 for 2015 entry, however Im in a dilema

I will have done 3 years in college as I resat my AS year however without resiting my AS year it looks possible that I could have still attained the BBC need at A2. Would they take this into consideration when assessing my application or should I not bother applying.

First year AS - CCCDE
2nd year AS - ABBBBC
A2 - (Awaiting)

I got 1A* 5As 4Bs & 2Cs at GCSE

I also did a BTEC qualification which I achieved 2 Distinction & 1 Pass
in ICT, Spanish & Art respectively

They will have to decide on an individual case by case basis and it seems that currently they can't tell you if they're happy until after you've applied. Do you have any extenuating circumstances?

Also note for everyone

[video="youtube;aFY2_0mjn1g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFY2_0mjn1g[/video]

A tour of our hospital :smile:
Hi there everyone,
Am in a bit if a dilema.
I got my A2 results : BBB - Not happy with.
I applied to the BM6 course last year and got a interview but no offer.
Can I apply again this year?
AND also am planning to take some A2 modules to get AAB, Just incase I dont get into medicine again and therefore pharmacy instead.
I have the grades for BM6.
Also am in my gap year.

If anyone can advice me, that would be great ! thanks
Original post by Ahmed-J
Hi there everyone,
Am in a bit if a dilema.
I got my A2 results : BBB - Not happy with.
I applied to the BM6 course last year and got a interview but no offer.
Can I apply again this year?
AND also am planning to take some A2 modules to get AAB, Just incase I dont get into medicine again and therefore pharmacy instead.
I have the grades for BM6.
Also am in my gap year.

If anyone can advice me, that would be great ! thanks

Yes you can reapply and it is not counted against you at all.

As you already have the grades for BM6 without resits, doing resits is absolutely fine.

Gap year = good! It's not a perfect rule, but a lot of BM6ers have taken gap years etc. It is a chance to get more real world experience :smile:

Good luck
It turns out I am getting predicted A*bio B rs C chem is this still okay?
It turns out I am getting predicted A*bio B rs C chem is this still okay?

Yes! It won't put you at an advantage (so you won't be preferred for your higher predictions) or a disadvantage (you won't be penalised for doing too well) either.

Good luck!
Reply 150
I was about to apply for Undergraduate Marketing with predicted grades of AABB, but I didn't know of the B Grade for Maths, which they later on clearly stated, was a necessity (I had an A in English but a C for Maths).

I'm not sure whether or not it's worth it to retake Maths on top of all my other work and one psychology retake :/

Could be the end of the dream for me 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheVth
I was about to apply for Undergraduate Marketing with predicted grades of AABB, but I didn't know of the B Grade for Maths, which they later on clearly stated, was a necessity (I had an A in English but a C for Maths).

I'm not sure whether or not it's worth it to retake Maths on top of all my other work and one psychology retake :/

Could be the end of the dream for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread is about a specific medicine course at Southampton. Have you had a look for marketing threads? :smile:
Reply 152
Original post by Neostigmine
This thread is about a specific medicine course at Southampton. Have you had a look for marketing threads? :smile:

Sorry about that 😅
I've tried, but no recent ones as of yet. I'll have another look though ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be resitting some A level modules during my gap year and also wanted to apply to uni's. My career advisors said that my teachers won'the be able to predict me as they won't be teaching me as I will be resitting as an external candidate. So what will the uni's base a decision on? My A level results were not as good as expected that's why i'm resitting.
Hiya, Just wanted to ask when are the BM6 interviews usually and how long do applicants get to prepare/notice?
Original post by mangomango
Hiya, Just wanted to ask when are the BM6 interviews usually and how long do applicants get to prepare/notice?

Interviews are in Jan - March usually though this can sometimes extend to later in the year. You're usually given 2 weeks notice :smile:
Thanks for the reply! :smile: Does that mean feedback (offers/rejection) is given soon or do applicants usually have to wait until everyone is interviewed e.g by the end of march.?
Original post by mangomango
Thanks for the reply! :smile: Does that mean feedback (offers/rejection) is given soon or do applicants usually have to wait until everyone is interviewed e.g by the end of march.?

Offers go out in batches towards the end of the interviews though last year there was a bit of a delay between the first and last offers going out. This could have been because of the shake up in the BM5 interview process so hopefully it should be slicker this year :smile:
I'll be applying for this course. I would love to go to Southampton, who could say no to a beach :wink:
Original post by Alimbo95
I'll be applying for this course. I would love to go to Southampton, who could say no to a beach :wink:

We don't really have beaches *awkward*. We have 2 rivers and port and the odd bit of coast but for beaches you wanna catch the train down to Bournemouth or the boat to the Isle of Wight. That said there is still lots to do here!! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending