The Student Room Group

Doing a second (NHS funded) degree?

Hi guys :smile: hope I'm posting this in the right place!

In October I'll be starting my final year of an art/education based degree.
The ed studies part of my course has got me really interested in child psychology, early years etc, and I was looking to do a second degree when I finish. I'm hoping to graduate with at least a 2:1 next Summer.

I've always had the idea of doing midwifery in the back of my head, but because I don't have any science A Levels, I doubt any courses would even consider me. I have work experience in several primary schools but again, I don't think they'd count it as "relevant experience".

I'll be 21 or 22 (depending on course start dates) if/when I start this second degree, so I'll just about class as a mature student!
Does anyone have any advice on what kind of courses/universities I could be looking at?
The best thing is to contact the universities that you want to apply to. Some may suggest you do a health science based access course. Others may insist on A levels, you will need care experience though to get a place and it's not actually related to care of children. In midwifery you are responsible for the care of the mother and delivery of the child but principally they'll be looking for experience caring for adults rather than children.

I know there is a company close to where I live that provides training course and recruits professional birthing partners for expectant mums. The competition for midwifery places is fierce and I know people with lots of experience who still haven't managed to get a place.

I'm not trying to put you off just sharing what I know through friends who have applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by RobertsClan
The best thing is to contact the universities that you want to apply to. Some may suggest you do a health science based access course. Others may insist on A levels, you will need care experience though to get a place and it's not actually related to care of children. In midwifery you are responsible for the care of the mother and delivery of the child but principally they'll be looking for experience caring for adults rather than children.

I know there is a company close to where I live that provides training course and recruits professional birthing partners for expectant mums. The competition for midwifery places is fierce and I know people with lots of experience who still haven't managed to get a place.

I'm not trying to put you off just sharing what I know through friends who have applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice :smile: that's what I thought, it's such a competitive subject/career (rightfully so). I'll have a look in my area and see if anything similar is available!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending