The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by slg60
He didn't say that french was not highly regarded by unis he said geology wasn't.

How is he supposed to know you were looking at petroleum?

That doesn't even make sense so I would suggest that you do not take that many A-levels!

:biggrin:

I was on my phone lol
Reply 21
Original post by Basit2010
No it wont. OP makes a thread and gets mad when someone makes a post.

With the removal of January exams having 20-25 A level exams will hit you like a ton of bricks kid.

Coming from someone who has a photographic memory I did the first 4 A levels on your list and June was probably the most stressful month of my life. I've firmed an offer for Medicine so I do know a bit of what I'm talking about. ZERO ADVANTAGE!!!

You should do an AMA, I always wanted to know more about people with a photographic memory :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by JAIYEKO
I was on my phone lol

yeah the last point was a joke, you really annoy me and a lot of your posts are BS, but I doubt you are that thick.
Oh for goodness sakes
:troll::troll::troll:
Original post by AlexKay99
I know he went to Stanford, but the person who started this thread wants to get into Oxbridge and I'm saying that someone should not rely on the fact that he is doing more exams than average to get in because it is not a guarantee.

However, essay-based subjects are highly valued (Eg; history, english literature) but since he is applying for Medicine the science ones will be more relevant.
Even so, only 3 A levels are required, so unless he wants learn all of them because he enjoys them and not because he thinks it will give him an advantage then he should go for it.

Edit* sorry if I did not fully understand your post, what does 'betas' mean?

I see what you are saying.

But isn't more subjects, with more A stars, if a candidate is capable better though?

Like if a student can get 10 A stars at GCSE, and is capable of getting 17 A stars, wouldn't that not give the student a much better chance?

That's what I am confused about that student got 13 A stars at GCSE and 7 A stars at A level, much higher especially at A level than the average successful candidate at Oxford and did not get admitted. Especially since Oxford are less concerned about A Level UMS..

Sorry, it doesn't matter I probably should have used another synonym.
It is manageable, but not by many people. It's pretty hard for us to know if you're good enough to do it. But, if you really want to, you could try it at AS level and drop as required.

There is very little point, though, in terms of admissions. You can protest all you like, but it's just true. Oxbridge tutors want to see high percentages in your most relevant or best subjects, as Protoxylic correctly states. Beyond that, it's all down to admissions tests, submitted work, and the interviews.

I think you're a troll anyway, but this is the advice I would give to someone genuinely asking the question: assuming you're capable of handling the workload, take the extra subjects if you want to do it just because of interest in the subject, but not if you're doing it for admissions.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard

But isn't more subjects, with more A stars, if a candidate is capable better though?

I think the assumption might be that if you can get A*s in A levels, you are capable of getting A*s in A levels, and could get more A*s if you set yourself the harder task of taking on more A levels. They're looking more at potential than prior achievement.
Do whatever you want, just don't assume a defensive stance when people give their opinions on a public forum.

It's pointless doing so many A Levels, you're just going to be under a huge workload, and you might end up tiring yourself out.

MFL's at A Level are not difficult whatsoever, and I can tell you now that unless you're interested in reading something at university related to languages, or intending to take a year abroad, you will not be at any advantage.

If you want to get into Oxbridge, or any other high ranking universities, then I suggest you focus on your extracurricular activities, and attend seminars, summer schools and events related to your chosen field.
Go for it. Personally I don't see the point but it's up to you.
If you are the best mathematician U17, surely your A Levels in maths will be a walk in the park that you don't need to revise for.

Therefore you only really have 4 subjects you're going to do work for: Bio, Chem, Physics, Geology (possibly French).

Stop trying to trick us.
Reply 30
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

Having done something similar myself (see my profile), which meant that over Y12 and Y13 I probably did the equivalent of 6 or 7 A levels if you don't count the A level exams I took before sixth form, I feel that I should comment on this.

Yes, it was manageable for me, and I had time to do a lot of extracurriculars, extra reading, olympiads etc., and did get into Cambridge; whether it will be manageable for you depends on how efficiently you work and how quickly you pick up new concepts without having to spend ages going over them at home. Doing maths, FM and 3 sciences is definitely manageable (doing this is not uncommon and they complement each other), and I would assume that the workload of adding geology to that isn't much greater. Doing french on top of that sounds like a lot of work even to me, but I don't know your aptitude for languages and your other subjects. :tongue: I found that I spent considerably more time in sixth form on biology and Russian than maths/FM/AFM and physics and chemistry.

If you're aiming for Cambridge, then they take your AS UMS heavily into account, so to give yourself the best chance you really need to hit the ground running in Y12. For medicine you should be aiming for 96+ average over your top 3 science subjects (they count maths+FM as one subject for the purpose of calculating averages) and probably similar over Physics and maths+FM for engineering, and for Oxbridge getting Bs at AS wouldn't look good (AAAAA would be better than AAAAABB). So a word of warning would be to make sure you're maintaining this level in your AS subjects throughout year 12 - you don't want doing too many subjects to be the reason why you don't get into Oxbridge/medical school if you're of that calibre.

Personally, if you're only giving yourself a large workload then I don't see much point in doing that many A level subjects. If you really love French and really want to do geology A level then they're only marginally reasonable reasons to do them as well. If you're dithering whether or not to take an extra subject once you've got to five, then I wouldn't take it. During the normal school timetable I did 4AS in Y12 and 4A2 in Y13 plus AS critical thinking, so my core workload wasn't excessive, even though I ended up with a lot of A levels - what you're planning on doing sounds a lot more than this! (Regarding the 5 extra A levels I did, I did maths and French self taught over Y10 and 11 in the lesson time I had free as I did GCSEs in those subjects in Y9, did music at a Saturday music school, and self taught FM and AFM for fun in the holidays/on study leave) Most of my workload came from the subjects I did in the normal timetabled hours and I think I would have really struggled doing another 3 subjects in school on top of that!! :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and [am] contemplating doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs [are] ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost [irrelevant] to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in [other] words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be [personalised] for me to fit the above subjects.

Corrected for you. Also, if you were so keen on Oxbridge you'd know that (for Oxford anyway) GCSE's are far from irrelevant - they're arguably the most important factor pre-interview, along with the admissions tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Utterly pointless.
Original post by Basit2010
Manageable? - Maybe..
Pointless? - Yes.

If you're so sure on a medicine/engineering degree having Geology and French A levels won't put you at much of an advantage with people that have just the 5.

But if it is something you WANT to do, then by all means do it. but only as a personal challenge. you seem capable enough.

Original post by JAIYEKO
Yes it would lol, you really don't know what you're talking about.

Wow that was rude-he/she's trying to help you here.
Reply 34
What's the point? All universities give offers to people with 3 A2s at the minimum so why waste time on additional subjects which contribute nothing to your degree course? You'll probably end up performing not as well as you could with the quantity of exams you plan on taking.

Like if a student can get 10 A stars at GCSE, and is capable of getting 17 A stars, wouldn't that not give the student a much better chance?

That's what I am confused about that student got 13 A stars at GCSE and 7 A stars at A level, much higher especially at A level than the average successful candidate at Oxford and did not get admitted. Especially since Oxford are less concerned about A Level UMS..

I agree with you, supposedly the more A*s the better but you have to remember that Oxbridge looks at the personal statement, reference, admissions tests (if any), essays sent in and finally the interview so grades become only part of the requirement.
Essentially, you have to be 'outstanding' not just academically, you have to show them you have the potential to excel in life for example, you won a major science competition..that will make you stand out. Its sort of unfair but pretty much everyone applying has straight A*s.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, I'm assuming that this is a troll since you ask a question and then insult anyone who tries to give you advice. :rolleyes:

But anyway, you may as well stick to four or five AS. It's better to have higher marks in them than to risk having lower marks in more and, theoretically, 6 A*s at A level shouldn't give you an advantage over 3A*s at A level since some schools won't let you take more. It'll also give you more time for extra-curriculars/further reading/relaxing. But, if you're really interested and have the support, it's up to you.

Candidate 1 A*A*A in Maths, Chemistry and Physics

Candidate 2 A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics

Offer for NatSci at Cambridge A*A*A

Both candidates met the offer, and hence both candidates (holistically) are strong enough academically to pursue a degree. Granted, the 2nd applicant took FM and got more A*'s, but this does not take away from the other applicant, his or her's ability to get a good degree (upper 2nd or first) from the university. Also, contextual information is taken into account, whether this is rate of entry to higher education in postcode areas, or performance of your secondary school and/or sixth form/college in addition to any illnesses during the exam season.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Yes it would lol, you really don't know what you're talking about.

If when you ask a question and someone gives their opinion on the matter and then you say that basically you clearly know better, why did you ask the question in the first place?

I agree with first poster. When people get into Oxbridge with A*A*A* anyway what difference does double that make? Not much. Better to get some extra work done you could put on a Personal Statement.
Original post by JAIYEKO
French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

Oh right I see, so if you are clever enough to take 7 A-Levels to 99% I am guessing you also have taken 2 or 3 early, as well as have a wealth of work experience to prove to the university that you really want to do medicine/engineering?

Or do you mean you're going to work 10 hours a day solid to absolutely guarantee the absolute best you can do, and then have a PS that says "I have lots of A*s but I didn't have time to do any thing else :frown:"

Stop being so arrogant, listen to other people that have already done their A-Levels.

Au revoir

Latest