Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you pay for your accommodation in the private sector? [POLL] Watch

• View Poll Results: How much does it cost you for the whole year? (including bills)
    less than £3000
    8.57%
    £3000 - £3500
    14.29%
    £3501 - £4000
    14.29%
    £4001 - £4500
    14.29%
    £4501 - £5000
    11.43%
    £5001 - £5500
    11.43%
    £5501 - £6000
    2.86%
    £6001 - £6500
    8.57%
    £6501 - £7000
    5.71%
    over £7000
    8.57%

ReputationRep:
    This question is mainly aimed at 2nd years onwards, although there are some who don't live in uni halls for their 1st year.

I was wondering what students typically pay for their house or flat, including the bills and internet over a year. Don't include the deposit though, since you'll obviously get it back at the end of the tenancy (hopefully at least ).

ReputationRep:
    I stayed with a company called "Unite" and, because I had to get in through clearing in my first year (about to enter my second year), I got stuck in a private studio at, take a guess before clicking the spoiler...

Spoiler:
    Show
    an eye watering £172 a WEEK

All because of Edexcel's "fair" 2013 BS A level maths exam papers. =(
    Guess what... NO DISH WASHER

My parents had to top up my student loan...

Anyway, I am now staying at a place at a much more reasonable £4,500 a year with 2 of my mates and 1 person I don't know.
    Couldn't really be happier this year. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I stayed with a company called "Unite" and, because I had to get in through clearing in my first year (about to enter my second year), I got stuck in a private studio at, take a guess before clicking the spoiler...

Spoiler:
    Show
    an eye watering £172 a WEEK

All because of Edexcel's "fair" 2013 BS A level maths exam papers. =(
    Guess what... NO DISH WASHER

My parents had to top up my student loan...

Anyway, I am now staying at a place at a much more reasonable £4,500 a year with 2 of my mates and 1 person I don't know.
    Couldn't really be happier this year. =)
    I assume your uni is in the south, if thats so, then it really is a good deal, especially if you get a double bed room

ReputationRep:
    My room in the house is £3,521 for the year, including all bills. However it is only a September-June contract as opposed to some friends who are in July-June contracts, so that may be why it's a bit cheaper

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Estimate my house for this year coming up will be just over £4,100 once bills are taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    £3175 all inclusive for 50 weeks, no deposit. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    £4320 for 52 weeks in a 9 bedroom house in Reading (shared with 8 other people). A little on the steep side even in Reading but it's a premium to pay to live in such a big house!

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone's rent cheaper than mine?

ReputationRep:
    In third year my rent for 52 weeks was £2832, plus bills were probably another £500.

It should, of course, be mentioned that these things vary primarily by location - this was in Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In my 2nd year we had a one bedroom flat. It was £450 pm excluding bills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Estimate my house for this year coming up will be just over £4,100 once bills are taken into account.
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    £3175 all inclusive for 50 weeks, no deposit. :cool:
    (Original post by Kre)
    £4320 for 52 weeks in a 9 bedroom house in Reading (shared with 8 other people). A little on the steep side even in Reading but it's a premium to pay to live in such a big house!
    Thats all really cheap, how did you manage that? are your rooms single bed?

ReputationRep:
    On a 12 month contract (placement)

£3000/year (£250/month)

Bills are around £50/month each

So £3600

(Original post by fuzzybear)
    The place Im in, I had to buy my own furniture (Was cheaper this way)

What I've bought:

Fridge (Shared) £140 (£70)
    Bed £80
    Tidy rail - £25
    Desk - £40
    Total: £215

Need to sell the fridge, and the bed. Might keep the desk

It's cheaper this way, because to get it fully or partially furnished, the rent would be £600 - £700/month instead of £500

Tbh, at the uni, prices aren't massively off either. It's around £3600 for say 44 weeks or so

This is technically cheaper then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    In third year my rent for 52 weeks was £2832, plus bills were probably another £500.

It should, of course, be mentioned that these things vary primarily by location - this was in Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Frigging cheap that is for Manchester! Also, when looking for houses, I also considered car insurance prices

ReputationRep:
    £2860 for the year. The rooms are massive and all the fittings/kitchen are brand new. Landlord even threw in a TV and Sky subscription. This is what you get when you are willing to live near where two students were murdered in their house a few years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Living in the Northwest, albeit ****, is cheap.
    Here is what the room generally looks like, although obviously they make it look nicer than it is.

ReputationRep:
    With bills it's about an extra £450 a year (water, electricity, gas, internet).

It isn't that cheap for shared accommodation in Reading. Most rents are around £320-£340 a week. Ours was £360 each.

Where are you staying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    With bills it's about an extra £450 a year (water, electricity, gas, internet).

It isn't that cheap for shared accommodation in Reading. Most rents are around £320-£340 a week. Ours was £360 each.

Where are you staying?
    a week? :eek: you mean a month

I think another factor is that if you share a house or a flat with loads of people, it usually works out cheaper as well

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I will have a small single, but if your prepared to live further away from the university you can get rooms cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    a week? :eek: you mean a month

I think another factor is that if you share a house or a flat with loads of people, it usually works out cheaper as well
    Yeah sorry I meant a month! The problem is 9 bedroom houses are few and far between in Reading. You can easily get a 4-6 bed for around £320. Simple supply and demand, they can charge more.

ReputationRep:
    free or i will be soon! my mrs job comes with a free flat!! she just has to complete her 3 month trial period!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.