The Student Room Group

How much do you pay for your accommodation in the private sector? [POLL]

This poll is closed

How much does it cost you for the whole year? (including bills)

less than £3000 9%
£3000 - £3500 14%
£3501 - £4000 14%
£4001 - £4500 14%
£4501 - £5000 11%
£5001 - £5500 11%
£5501 - £6000 3%
£6001 - £6500 9%
£6501 - £7000 6%
over £70009%
Total votes: 35
This question is mainly aimed at 2nd years onwards, although there are some who don't live in uni halls for their 1st year.

I was wondering what students typically pay for their house or flat, including the bills and internet over a year. Don't include the deposit though, since you'll obviously get it back at the end of the tenancy (hopefully at least :tongue:).

Scroll to see replies

I stayed with a company called "Unite" and, because I had to get in through clearing in my first year (about to enter my second year), I got stuck in a private studio at, take a guess before clicking the spoiler...

Spoiler

All because of Edexcel's "fair" 2013 BS A level maths exam papers. =(
Guess what... NO DISH WASHER

My parents had to top up my student loan...

Anyway, I am now staying at a place at a much more reasonable £4,500 a year with 2 of my mates and 1 person I don't know.
Couldn't really be happier this year. =)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
I stayed with a company called "Unite" and, because I had to get in through clearing in my first year (about to enter my second year), I got stuck in a private studio at, take a guess before clicking the spoiler...

Spoiler

All because of Edexcel's "fair" 2013 BS A level maths exam papers. =(
Guess what... NO DISH WASHER

My parents had to top up my student loan...

Anyway, I am now staying at a place at a much more reasonable £4,500 a year with 2 of my mates and 1 person I don't know.
Couldn't really be happier this year. =)

I assume your uni is in the south, if thats so, then it really is a good deal, especially if you get a double bed room
My room in the house is £3,521 for the year, including all bills. However it is only a September-June contract as opposed to some friends who are in July-June contracts, so that may be why it's a bit cheaper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Estimate my house for this year coming up will be just over £4,100 once bills are taken into account.
Reply 5
£3175 all inclusive for 50 weeks, no deposit. :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
£4320 for 52 weeks in a 9 bedroom house in Reading (shared with 8 other people). A little on the steep side even in Reading but it's a premium to pay to live in such a big house!
Why is everyone's rent cheaper than mine? :frown:
In third year my rent for 52 weeks was £2832, plus bills were probably another £500.

It should, of course, be mentioned that these things vary primarily by location - this was in Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
In my 2nd year we had a one bedroom flat. It was £450 pm excluding bills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jelly1000
Estimate my house for this year coming up will be just over £4,100 once bills are taken into account.

Original post by Ruffiio
£3175 all inclusive for 50 weeks, no deposit. :cool:

Original post by Kre
£4320 for 52 weeks in a 9 bedroom house in Reading (shared with 8 other people). A little on the steep side even in Reading but it's a premium to pay to live in such a big house!

Thats all really cheap, how did you manage that? are your rooms single bed?
On a 12 month contract (placement)

£3000/year (£250/month)

Bills are around £50/month each

So £3600

Original post by fuzzybear

The place Im in, I had to buy my own furniture (Was cheaper this way)

What I've bought:

Fridge (Shared) £140 (£70)
Bed £80
Tidy rail - £25
Desk - £40
Total: £215

Need to sell the fridge, and the bed. Might keep the desk

It's cheaper this way, because to get it fully or partially furnished, the rent would be £600 - £700/month instead of £500

Tbh, at the uni, prices aren't massively off either. It's around £3600 for say 44 weeks or so

This is technically cheaper then
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Origami Bullets
In third year my rent for 52 weeks was £2832, plus bills were probably another £500.

It should, of course, be mentioned that these things vary primarily by location - this was in Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

Frigging cheap that is for Manchester! Also, when looking for houses, I also considered car insurance prices :biggrin:
£2860 for the year. The rooms are massive and all the fittings/kitchen are brand new. Landlord even threw in a TV and Sky subscription. This is what you get when you are willing to live near where two students were murdered in their house a few years ago.

Living in the Northwest, albeit ****, is cheap.
Here is what the room generally looks like, although obviously they make it look nicer than it is.
Reply 15

With bills it's about an extra £450 a year (water, electricity, gas, internet).

It isn't that cheap for shared accommodation in Reading. Most rents are around £320-£340 a week. Ours was £360 each.

Where are you staying?
Original post by Kre
With bills it's about an extra £450 a year (water, electricity, gas, internet).

It isn't that cheap for shared accommodation in Reading. Most rents are around £320-£340 a week. Ours was £360 each.

Where are you staying?

a week? :eek: you mean a month

I think another factor is that if you share a house or a flat with loads of people, it usually works out cheaper as well

Yeah I will have a small single, but if your prepared to live further away from the university you can get rooms cheaper.
Reply 18
Original post by Jack93o
a week? :eek: you mean a month

I think another factor is that if you share a house or a flat with loads of people, it usually works out cheaper as well

Yeah sorry I meant a month! The problem is 9 bedroom houses are few and far between in Reading. You can easily get a 4-6 bed for around £320. Simple supply and demand, they can charge more.
free or i will be soon! my mrs job comes with a free flat!! she just has to complete her 3 month trial period!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending