The Student Room Group

What happens if you DON'T continue education after 16?

Just so you know I'm speaking here theoretically, and I do plan on going to sixth form and doing A-Levels. :smile:

What happens if you don't go to sixth form or college, or do an apprenticeship, in fact you do nothing? I'm just intrigued to see what will happen, as the law says that you must continue education until you're 18.

I'm asking because my (very stupid) friend is planning on doing this. There's no point convincing her so I'm not asking for advice on how to - I just want to know what will happen.

Thanks. :tongue:

Edit: No stupid responses and bother to read the OP damn it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure - it'll be something strange like you get placed in some work scheme, it's not a criminal offense to not be in education/training. :iiam:

Or, your willy falls off and you die.
Well you can't really get a half decent job without atleast level 3 qualifications
Original post by Mimir
Not sure - it'll be something strange like you get placed in some work scheme, it's not a criminal offense to not be in education/training. :iiam:

Or, your willy falls off and you die.

Is it not the law that they must be in education? Obviously it's not a punishable crime and no one's going to be arrested. But I'm assuming the parents would be fined or they would be forced into an Apprenticeship scheme or to go to a college? :smile:

There must be an exact answer to what happens somewhere if it's a law but I can't find it anywhere.
You become a hairdresser.
Original post by Secretnerd123
Well you can't really get a half decent job without atleast level 3 qualifications

I'm aware of that. As the OP says, I'm talking about a friend and not myself just to clear things up as I plan to do A-Levels. :smile:

Just wanted to know what would exactly happen in the short term, e.g. parent's being fined or forced to go to college.
Reply 6
Original post by yellowcopter
Is it not the law that they must be in education? Obviously it's not a punishable crime and no one's going to be arrested. But I'm assuming the parents would be fined or they would be forced into an Apprenticeship scheme or to go to a college? :smile:

There must be an exact answer to what happens somewhere if it's a law but I can't find it anywhere.

Just because you break the law doesn't mean it is a 'criminal' offense, such as breaking into someone's home, punching their granny in the face and stealing a handbag. I don't doubt there's some stupid sanction for it but it wouldn't be a criminal law case.
Reply 7
Original post by tengentoppa
You become a hairdresser.

:colone:
Just so you know I'm speaking here theoretically, and I do plan on going to sixth form and doing A-Levels. :smile:

What happens if you don't go to sixth form or college, or do an apprenticeship, in fact you do nothing? I'm just intrigued to see what will happen, as the law says that you must continue education until you're 18.

I'm asking because my (very stupid) friend is planning on doing this. There's no point convincing so I'm not asking for advice on how to - I just want to what will happen.

Thanks. :tongue:

Edit: No stupid responses and bother to read the OP damn it.

youd get bored ****less quick to be honest:P
Reply 9
Binman.
Original post by Mimir
Just because you break the law doesn't mean it is a 'criminal' offense, such as breaking into someone's home, punching their granny in the face and stealing a handbag. I don't doubt there's some stupid sanction for it but it wouldn't be a criminal law case.

I understand there would be no law case, but I was wondering if there could be fines because missing school is usually fined, not sure if it's the same or worse for not even doing anything post-16 when legally you have to.

I mean, a parent can be fined £2,500 or jailed for 3 months JUST for poor attendance at school. Though this is school and not sixth form, it still shows they can go to great lengths sometimes.
Reply 11
If he genuinely can't concentrate on his education (perhaps for a medical reason), or he really has experience of menial work and thinks it's better, then maybe he's making the right choice.

But you should tell him, from someone who's experienced both, that education is much better than menial work, if you can do it. (Well I suppose that's just my opinion really...)

I suppose there are benefits, but how's he going to get a desirable partner on them (if he's not on them for a legitimate reason, or even otherwise, as sad as that might be).?
Original post by nohomo
If he genuinely can't concentrate on his education (perhaps for a medical reason), or he really has experience of menial work and thinks it's better, then maybe he's making the right choice.

But you should tell him, from someone who's experienced both, that education is much better than menial work, if you can do it. (Well I suppose that's just my opinion really...)

I suppose there are benefits, but how's he going to get a desirable partner on them (if he's not on them for a legitimate reason, or even otherwise, as sad as that might be).?

It's a female friend, she's just lazy though to be honest and nothing else. Not to mention she probably failed most of her GCSEs. She's so convinced of doing nothing. I just told her 'ok do that and see what happens' because I just gave up.
Reply 13
It's a female friend, she's just lazy though to be honest and nothing else. Not to mention she probably failed most of her GCSEs. She's so convinced of doing nothing. I just told her 'ok do that and see what happens' because I just gave up.

Oh well perhaps she could find a guy to live off then. Is she pretty?
Original post by nohomo
Oh well perhaps she could find a guy to live off then. Is she pretty?

Not really. :lol:
Reply 15
Not really. :lol:

:rofl:

Well I've seen some ugly girls manage to get guys to live off, too.
Reply 16
My friend quit school after GCSE and he is now working as a programmer. However, he is underpaid (a bit lower than UK law sets as minimum wage according to a common friend)...but he enjoys it anyway.

But he got the job because he had knowledge on programming, I don't know what happens if you don't have skill nor education...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not much.

Hopefully your parents throw you out because you are feckless. Might learn something that way.
Reply 18
Original post by ByronicHero
Not much.

Hopefully your parents throw you out because you are feckless. Might learn something that way.

It's his friend...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
It's his friend...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, the "your" wasn't meant as an explicit reference to the OP but to the indistinct "you" referenced in the thread title.

Quick Reply

Latest