The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Surely this is a joke. You cant revise somthing unless you know it in the first place...
Reply 21
I actually think that a lot of people on this thread are being extremely rude and inconsiderate about this! Of course it's the holidays and we should be having fun, and I agree, but if somebody wants to study in order to get a head start and ease the work load, I am completely for it.
Well people could be revising for resits?
Reply 23
:eek:

Is it a week before the exams? Is it? No, I didn't think so. Therefore, no, I haven't started revising! Why revise for a paper we're not taking for a whole year?! I have done nothing and that is just the way I like it!
Reply 24
I have almost finished aqa core 3 with 1 chapter left to do.
Reply 25
I meant to start reading some of my textbooks, just to get back into the swing of things. Unfortunately, I'm far too lazy. But it's the thought that counts, right?
Reply 26
kellywood_5
OK, you lot are officially insane!! :p: How can you possibly revise when you haven't even started the syllabus yet? Even if you could, you need this time to relax so you'll be refreshed when you go back to school or college, and you'll forget everything by the time you do the exams anyway.

:ditto:
Reply 27
how are we being rude? having completed our a-levels, i think we're in a pretty good position to say whether it's worth revising now - and can conclusively say that it's pointless!
Bloody hell, you really are a student in need...of a life!!

but if somebody wants to study in order to get a head start and ease the work load, I am completely for it.

Seeing you just finished your GCSEs, congrats on the results...but I'm sorry, which year of sixth form are you in? Seems like you speak from real experience about the A level course (!) .

Reading ahead does jack ****, because a.) in most subjects you won't know what the hell your reading about and secondly, the day that you spent reading up on say electronegativity in chemistry will be covered in about 10 minutes in class.
Reply 29
ive already revised the whole years work
well i cant say revise id rather say taught it myself LOL so nw i have more fun during the college term!!!!!!!!
Skimming over the work, or "revising" it won't give you the depth of knowledge needed. Wait until you get profesional help (i.e. a teacher) :wink:
Reply 31
f_debelder

Reading ahead does jack ****, because a.) in most subjects you won't know what the hell your reading about and secondly, the day that you spent reading up on say electronegativity in chemistry will be covered in about 10 minutes in class.

But it does get you into the mindset required for learning. I personally find the first week or two of the autumn term quite tough because I haven't done anything that requires any meaningful amount of concentration over the past 2 months or so. Reading through your textbooks not only requires you to concentrate and get in the right frame of mind, it also makes the first week or just that little bit easier because you're going through a topic for the second time, you've already had a little time to digest it the first time round.
Fair point :smile: but my rant was mainly at people starting revising now for exams...or worse than that, trying to cram a years worth of brand new work in a holiday! Bonkers!
How can you revise if you haven't even been taught the stuff yet??? :biggrin:

It's effort and time ill-spent. And you're ruining a perfectly good tradition...it's not the start of school without the hellish first week that it takes for you to remember how to hold a pen again.
Reply 34
I did buy A2 revision books in Eng Lit, Politics and gen Studies (yeh waste of money but hey 3of my unis accept it lol i didnt even open the AS one and got an A)

I only bought the books coz they were in WHS Half Price sale! lol and i was buyin all my other backtoschool stationery and a new lever arch file which came with 2refill pad, well happy! lol

and i bought my bus/rail pass for next term too, you know i did a lot in my lunch break yesterday i feel proud, i was in a right going back to school mode wasn't i?
Reply 35
smirf83
But it does get you into the mindset required for learning. I personally find the first week or two of the autumn term quite tough because I haven't done anything that requires any meaningful amount of concentration over the past 2 months or so. Reading through your textbooks not only requires you to concentrate and get in the right frame of mind, it also makes the first week or just that little bit easier because you're going through a topic for the second time, you've already had a little time to digest it the first time round.

yeh i always get a headache the first day back after a holiday if i've done absoltely jack all work, it affected me more lower down the shcool, but i think coz we actually get set real holday homwork these days (in cluding over the summer this summer which i was not impressed about) i dont get them quite as bad.
Reply 36
Oh my god. Some people are so obsessive!
I have merely checked out the AQA websites for the individual specifications for each of the subjects i am taking, printed them out and gone over them swiftly to get a better idea of what sort of preparation i need to be making before i begin my course. After this i actually found it helped me out a lot to help me feel a little less overwhelmed.

I've also started reading Hamlet for my English Language and Literature course, i tend to find that reading novels during A-Level is much less intense than during GCSE, so i felt a little more preparation was required of myself on that count.

However apart from purchasing the necessary revision guides, and the information stated above i haven't really started revising for my courses as much as preparing myself for the tasks ahead. Which is really all you can do at this early stage.
Ive started going over all the A2 work that we did before the summer holidays, when i realli could not be arsed with school, so i feel that i need to catch up wth all of that before starting new work.
Reply 39
Ive been given a massive AS art project to do...I was away for 2 months of the holiday and then basically collapsed from tiredness/3 continents in 4 days.
Basically panicing now about how im going to get it done, see friends before I move, and then pack. Also I bought a book called 'the concise introduction to philosophy' and so Ive been reading that, although Ive not got too far yet, so I get to know abit about philosophy before you start a completely new school, and new surroundings its best not to be too behind!

Latest