The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Swansea seem to not be so good with admin etc... all my friends at other Uni's have been sorted for weeks!! Hopefully this isn't a reflection of the actual uni :dontknow:

I could start a new topic for this but is anyone going to the welcome meal thing??

xkx
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 21
Don't know until they tell me, do I?! I need to know because people taking me need to organise how/when. Gahh.
Reply 22
i have my accommdation stuff but they don't specify when you have to go. You just have to pick a slot. Either Friday, Sat morn, Sat afternoon, Sun morn or Sun afternoon.

xkx
Reply 23
All I know is that i have to get my accomodattion before the 22nd, but they already told me that i had my preference, so I´m calm.

I didn´t know that there was gonna be a welcome meal btw, when and where is it?
Reply 24
It's more like a barbecue where all the important Uni people give speeches and stuff. It happens throughout the weekend but you have to book in advance.. i think it's £6 per person. You should get a leaflet with your enrollment stuff.

xkx
Reply 25
is anyone going to go to the welcome meal, idont know, i think im gna go down to swansea with my stuff on the fri what about u guys?
Reply 26
I'll probably go down the saturday - my boyfriend is going to come and help me move my stuff in, so needs to be the weekend when he's not working. :smile:
Reply 27
awwh thats sweet :smile: . its just i was thinking id like to kinda move in at the same time as everybody else, let me know anyone going on the fri!
Reply 28
Hehe, he's not so bad. :smile: I don't know if I'd like to be the first person arriving, it'd be dead scary!

Kurstie: what are you going to be studying?
kurstie
It's more like a barbecue where all the important Uni people give speeches and stuff. It happens throughout the weekend but you have to book in advance.. i think it's £6 per person. You should get a leaflet with your enrollment stuff.

xkx

I dont think they've done that before...
This is probably a bit late for you guys now, but as someone who has just recently finished their first year living on campus, I thought I'd relate my feelings on it all.

I lived in one of the large rooms in Caswell, which is one of the newer blocks (being Caswell, Langland and Oxwich.)

A few pieces of advice:
It may be an extra £5 a week or whatever but if you can get your hands on a larger room I would strongly recommend that you do! The smaller rooms are liveable, but it's a much better existence in one of the larger rooms. You're not so crammed in to start with, and it may seem a trivial point but you get two windows in a larger room. There's also the sheer novelty factor of having a large room. On the first night at Uni, just for the hell of it, I had a go at fitting all my flatmates in my bathroom. All 8 of us mooched around in comfort.
If you get a room in one of the new blocks that's in one of the upper or top floors, it would be well worth taking a fan with you. The rooms get immensely hot all year round, particularly during the summer term. During the height of winter, when there was snow all around, I had both windows open and occasionally a desk fan on the go.
Now, this might prove a bit contentious but here we go: If you regard yourself as someone that's more extroverted than introverted and enjoy a good social life, don't live in Caswell! I hate to say it, but the sort of people living in Caswell were not overly social characters. Oxwich was a bit mad for my liking, I found Langland to be the best mix overall. Social life is a key part of making it through university. If you ever find yourself sat around on your own in your room, get out and do something with yourself! Easy enough to do with the sort of people that make up Oxwich/Langland. Near on impossible in Caswell.

Not much else to add really, I guess. I have a brilliant time at Swansea, it's a fantastic place to live as a student. There's a ton of opportunities both within the Uni and beyond. Make sure you see and try as much as possible!

Just a little taster for you; I hold a Private Pilots License and do a little flying off of Swansea airport. This was taken 5000ft above the Uni, looking out towards the Gower;

Quite beautiful.

keep it sexy: You're on the first floor. I spent a lot of time on that floor, and even in that room! Really good friend of mine lived in it.
Reply 31
MissHero
Hehe, he's not so bad. :smile: I don't know if I'd like to be the first person arriving, it'd be dead scary!

Kurstie: what are you going to be studying?

I'm going to be doing American Studies. Was doing Business but changed as i realised i should do something that i was actually going to enjoy.

I'm moving in on the Saturday btw... didn't realise that we could go Friday! Is anyone else staying in Preseli or has anyone seen inside? I only saw the outside and it looked abit old and manky! lol

Kirsty
xkx
Reply 32
Hugh Jardon
Now, this might prove a bit contentious but here we go: If you regard yourself as someone that's more extroverted than introverted and enjoy a good social life, don't live in Caswell! I hate to say it, but the sort of people living in Caswell were not overly social characters. Oxwich was a bit mad for my liking, I found Langland to be the best mix overall. Social life is a key part of making it through university. If you ever find yourself sat around on your own in your room, get out and do something with yourself! Easy enough to do with the sort of people that make up Oxwich/Langland. Near on impossible in Caswell.

How does it work out like that, when all they have to go on is the order of preference you chose your accommodation in? You don't get a chance to say what sort of things you like, so surely it'd end up a mixture...? :confused:
I havnt heard about my accomodation yet? should I be worried?
Reply 34
nah probably not. I, nor any of my friends who are going there, haven't heard anything either.

Its doing my head in now. I want to know. Should be by the end of the week, if not that's just ridiculous and i'll phone up and complain.
Reply 35
Hugh Jardon

Crap.
Reply 36
MissHero
How does it work out like that, when all they have to go on is the order of preference you chose your accommodation in? You don't get a chance to say what sort of things you like, so surely it'd end up a mixture...? :confused:

Yeah, they said they'd ask us stuff about ourselves, but they never did. I'm just hoping that in previous years they have (and therefore Caswell was full of the same type of people because of that) and this year they havn't, so they'll all be mixed up. I do remember reading in a prospectus or something that Caswell was the quietest. But I really don't see how they'd be able to know anything about us or our personalites, as they havn't even met us (well, I myself never had an interview), so HOPEFULLY, it shouldn't be like that. If it is I'm gonna be pissed off.
wiggles
Crap.

A truly erudite reply, Mr Wiggles. Good use of colour, composition could do with some work however.

With such witty one word retorts as those, you'll be a cause célèbre amongst peers!

Now, to reiterate, as someone who lived in Caswell for a year...

"So, where do you live, on campus?"

"Yeah...Caswell...."

Much sucking of air through teeth, followed by; "Oh, I am sorry..."

Anyway, my point still stands until you give a proper refutation. If you're more extroverted than introverted, or at the very least, want to have a good laugh most of the time, Caswell is not the place to be!

Looking at your previous performances on here, Wiggles, I think you might just fit right in :redface:
Reply 38
I apologise, my one-word response above wasn't supposed to be a retort against you, and most certainly wasn't supposed to be witty. I was just expressing my feelings upon reading your post, as I'd been hoping that going to univesity and being surrounded by outgoing, extroverted people (somewhat unlike my current social circle) would bring me out of my shell. As yes, you're probably right, I may well fit into that kind of quiet and introverted crowd, but I really don't want to, lol. At the moment I think I'm like that because I havn't had the chance not to be.... if that makes sense, and I was hoping uni would give me that chance. But if the people in Caswell are all as you say they are, then I'm worried that won't be the case.
Hopefully though, as I havn't been asked to send them anything about myself, like my personality or preferences as to what kind of people I'd like to live with, and it doesn't appear that anyone else going to Swansea this year on these forums have been asked anything like that either, I can only assume that they have no way of telling what kind of people any of us are, and therefore the types of people in each block must be totally random.
Dim snaggio :p:

Where you live doesn't define who your friends are by a long way. Of my 8 flat mates, 3 of them became good friends of mine. The majority of my circle of friends lived over in Langland.
University is great in that you will meet a lot of people and it's a totally fresh start. Don't waste the opportunity, and whatever you do, get to know as many people as you can. I think that being social is the key to making University a fun experience

I'm sure you'll have a good time of it. I was being a little damning to be honest, just bantering with you guys! After all, Caswell can't be so bad, I lived there :biggrin:

Latest