The Student Room Group

RAF BRTC Kit List Tips

Scroll to see replies

You need at least 5, the PRTC blocks don't have the same lockers as the intake blocks. They are essential.
Ta mate

10 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.
Reply 22
Original post by AlphaTango
I have my name sewed into every sock, but I had heard they changed it so you no longer had to spend 7 hours sewing on the first night.

I took 50 labels, 25 printed with "SURNAME 123" and 25 blank. You can order them online If you google "RAF Name Labels" for a fiver or so. Make sure you get Iron-On ones, then you can just sew round the edges.

Yeah I seen that site and was going to order through them, £5 for 50 can't really complain.

Are we definitely okay to get the iron on ones even though it states sew on labels?

Were you okay to use the printed labels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJ22
Yeah I seen that site and was going to order through them, £5 for 50 can't really complain.

Are we definitely okay to get the iron on ones even though it states sew on labels?

Were you okay to use the printed labels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I took the sew on ones, they were a nightmare, towards the end of the course I ended up having to buy iron on ones and doing them again. Take a few of both to play it safe it you want, but I've got printed/iron on labels (that I've sewn on too) still on my socks now after quite a bit of abuse!
Reply 24
O.M.G.
Guys, you need to get a grip, for the sake of your own sanity! I'm sure the RAF will have told you where to go, when to report, and what to bring.

Here's a wacky concept, why not follow your instructions exactly and then take everything as it comes. So what if the DS raise their voice at you after an inspection. Learn from it, do it better next time. Simple. Oh and don't whinge or give attitude, unless you enjoy pain (extra phys, not beatings!)

I managed to get through 3 boot camps (OCTU - Henlow, Met Police - Hendon, ITC - Finningley) with no preparation other than what was officially recommended.

And in later years, when deploying on Ops, everyone followed the Admin Orders in terms of kitting, medical, paperwork requirements etc Anything else was just personal preference and to make life more comfortable.

What I'm saying is, go to Halton, give 100%, and take it as it comes. Otherwise, you'll just over stress yourself, and put yourself in the wrong frame of mind to succeed.

Oh, finally, enjoy the experience and very best of luck. Just remember, it's not the real RAF.
Reply 25
In case anyone was wondering what the hell OCTU RAF Henlow, was, you might find this link potentially amusing. Also relevant for any RAF selection and basic training regimes (boot camp!)

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/vox-03.htm

I should point out that this isn't me, although I was at Henlow the same time and can relate to everything Courtney says. On another OCTU course, I was that Bloggs who couldn't retrieve radioactive material from shark infested custard, without killing the entire squad!

Hence the other boot camps! Being yelled at by hairy @rsed instructors concentrates the mind , and I eventually found my niche in the RAF.

PS All recruit training establishments mentioned in the post above no longer exist, which shows a. how old I am and b. how low we've fallen as a nation. IMHO of course.
Original post by Ikaruss
In case anyone was wondering what the hell OCTU RAF Henlow, was, you might find this link potentially amusing. Also relevant for any RAF selection and basic training regimes (boot camp!)

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/vox-03.htm

I should point out that this isn't me, although I was at Henlow the same time and can relate to everything Courtney says. On another OCTU course, I was that Bloggs who couldn't retrieve radioactive material from shark infested custard, without killing the entire squad!

Hence the other boot camps! Being yelled at by hairy @rsed instructors concentrates the mind , and I eventually found my niche in the RAF.

PS All recruit training establishments mentioned in the post above no longer exist, which shows a. how old I am and b. how low we've fallen as a nation. IMHO of course.

Ikaruss

Absolutely cracking link!

The unit locations may have changed and the size of our air force may be a third of when you went through training but I can assure you - there are still plenty of radioactive rivers 6k away that urgently require some form of pinepole construction to get the dangerous jet fuel to a secret agent in the next 40 minutes before returning to HQ 4k away in the other direction only to be told you didn't wear gloves when lashing the jet fuel onto the pinepole so you failed the task!
Reply 27
AT - delighted that there is still so much radioactive material lying about the moors and barren parts of the (Current) UK. Someone should tell the Green party about it!

Seriously, it just goes to prove that these methods of testing leadership and resilience are timeless! I'd quite like to re-do some of those exercises now, without the pressure of needing to pass a course - I think they'd be good fun!

I take it you breezed through?

Fortunately, I never had to resort to the use of any pine poles, condemned hens, or the shabby performance of a Navigational professional, in all of my 32 years experience. Training for lack of sleep was pretty handy throughout though. And briefing OC Home Command on why it was necessary to fly at silly o'clock on Christmas Day.

All best, Ikky
(edited 9 years ago)
just a quick question, anyone got a rough cost for the kit list? Just asking as I'm trying to prepare as much as possible (including making sure I have the funds for kit etc)
Reply 29
Hi, I'm due to start BRTC in a few weeks. I want to get as many items as I can labelled before I go to save time and energy when I arrive. I've found a website that prints them. Do I just need surname on it or do I need my service number or just last 3 digits of service number. Also is my service number the one I used to log onto the computer during PRTC? Sorry for so many questions just don't want to get it wrong! Thanks!
Original post by DJ22
Great post, exactly the type of information that will help anyone going through the training. The combination locks are looking to be an expensive part of the kit list, they're around £6-£8 per lock and need 6, although I already have one. I used a combination lock for PRTC and it was much easier than needing to worry about misplacing a key (which a couple of people did)

Padlocks are about £2 for two (3 digit combination locks) in B&M
Original post by Toothless2468
Padlocks are about £2 for two (3 digit combination locks) in B&M

The post you've quoted is over 3 years old.
Original post by Drewski
The post you've quoted is over 3 years old.

It could still help other people joining.
Reply 33
can you send me the list also please
Original post by ryan9900
I've sent you a PM with with PRTC kit list. You do need to take quite a lot for 3 days, it's surprising!

I know this thread is quite old but if anyone has still got the PRTC kit list still could you send it to me please. TIA !!
Are these last 3 digits for labels the last three digits of payroll number? Is payroll number and service number the same number?
On joining instructions it says to bring a National Insurance Card, since these aren't issued anymore, I assume I need to take a payslip or other evidence of my number?
Reply 37
Original post by marveldinosaur
On joining instructions it says to bring a National Insurance Card, since these aren't issued anymore, I assume I need to take a payslip or other evidence of my number?

Just write down your NI number if you don’t know it off the top of your head. I don’t have a card for mine either and it didn’t matter, as long as you just know your number it’s fine.
Reply 38
Original post by williamburg
Are these last 3 digits for labels the last three digits of payroll number? Is payroll number and service number the same number?

It’s the last three numbers of your service number

Quick Reply

Latest