The Student Room Group

A levels for Dentistry

(If my GCSEs go well) I'd like to study dentistry when I go to uni. However, I don't want to be left stranded in the life sciences if I don't get an offer - I'd like to do economics or mathematics instead, after taking a gap year of course.

My current choices are as follows:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths
Portuguese

Would you advice my subjects? And any advice in general?

Reply 1
Swap Portuguese for economics and I think you'd have a good range. :smile:

Also if you don't get in the first time around, but get the grades, I would strongly recommend re-applying as you have a much better chance with grades in-hand. :smile:
Yeah those are great, and studying a language will give you an edge on others in your personal statement.
Original post by Scott.M
Swap Portuguese for economics and I think you'd have a good range. :smile:

Also if you don't get in the first time around, but get the grades, I would strongly recommend re-applying as you have a much better chance with grades in-hand. :smile:

Thanks. I was thinking of doing economics, I'll have a think...
Original post by jake4198
(If my GCSEs go well) I'd like to study dentistry when I go to uni. However, I don't want to be left stranded in the life sciences if I don't get an offer - I'd like to do economics or mathematics instead, after taking a gap year of course.

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths
Portuguese

Those subjects sound good. But if you are thinking of doing economics as a back up, it might be worth swapping portugese for economics.
Moved to Dentistry forum :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks. I was thinking of doing economics, I'll have a think...

Is Portuguese your first language? As it is a bit of an odd choice.

If it is your first or second language most universities won't consider it as an A-level (just like maths and further maths don't get classed as two distinct A-levels for most courses).
Original post by Scott.M
Is Portuguese your first language? As it is a bit of an odd choice.

If it is your first or second language most universities won't consider it as an A-level (just like maths and further maths don't get classed as two distinct A-levels for most courses).

Portuguese is my second language; I thought it might be classed the same as German or French :confused:
Reply 8
Portuguese is my second language; I thought it might be classed the same as German or French :confused:

It wont be classed as the other foreing languages, im part brasilian and i did gcse portuguese, im also taking portuguese A level but im just sitting the exam rather than learning it, because i already know it, im doing the same with spanish im fluent in both so basically you will only end up with 3 a levels as maths and further are classed as one for unis and if you are fluent native in a language is also not classed for a levels at uni. Still do it dont drop portuguese just sit the exam and do a level economics too. Im doing maths, physics, chem and biology along with spanish and portuguese
Original post by arami
It wont be classed as the other foreing languages, im part brasilian and i did gcse portuguese, im also taking portuguese A level but im just sitting the exam rather than learning it, because i already know it, im doing the same with spanish im fluent in both so basically you will only end up with 3 a levels as maths and further are classed as one for unis and if you are fluent native in a language is also not classed for a levels at uni. Still do it dont drop portuguese just sit the exam and do a level economics too. Im doing maths, physics, chem and biology along with spanish and portuguese

I think I will do it anyway and just add a sixth. I'm not fluent in Portuguese, I learnt it from when I was 8 - does that make any difference?
Reply 10
I think I will do it anyway and just add a sixth. I'm not fluent in Portuguese, I learnt it from when I was 8 - does that make any difference?

Yeah totally do it you will stand out from the crowd even if the uni dont particularly consider it, it still is an extra a level!! I believe they will take it as native second language, they will care more about your results in maths and the science than the portuguese one. You could contact the university, if for example you got an A* in portuguese and a B in biology which one would they take? best thing is to contact them

As the other guy said, they likely won't class it as an A-level since it is your second language.

Also you said 'and just add a sixth' so casually - yet A-levels are really, really hard. Much tougher than GCSE. If I was you I would stick with biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and economics, and then drop either biology or chemistry for A2.

I am tempted to say to not bother with further maths but I imagine if you want to go to a top uni for Economics they will want it. :tongue:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths
Portuguese

I'd recommend you focus on four AS, unless you're fluent in Portuguese or something then they seem perfectly fine. Further Maths is hard work so make sure you'll be prepared to put the hours in. I was in same dilemma- it was medicine or maths- but I only did maths and not further maths so had to make my medicine dream come true.
Original post by Scott.M
As the other guy said, they likely won't class it as an A-level since it is your second language.

Also you said 'and just add a sixth' so casually - yet A-levels are really, really hard. Much tougher than GCSE. If I was you I would stick with biology, chemistry, maths, further maths and economics, and then drop either biology or chemistry for A2.

I am tempted to say to not bother with further maths but I imagine if you want to go to a top uni for Economics they will want it. :tongue:

I'll give it a week or two and see what the workload's like. I'm doing Portuguese as a private candidate anyway so if it's too much, I'll just drop that.

Thanks for your advice :smile:
Original post by derma2019
I'd recommend you focus on four AS, unless you're fluent in Portuguese or something then they seem perfectly fine. Further Maths is hard work so make sure you'll be prepared to put the hours in. I was in same dilemma- it was medicine or maths- but I only did maths and not further maths so had to make my medicine dream come true.

Yeah, I should probably think about making the dentistry dream come true :cool:
Original post by Scott.M

I agree and disagree (respectfully) with this reply!
First of all DO NOT DROP biology or chemistry at A2 - you need both for dentistry.
Scott is quite right about the 6th AS - in fact I would go even further and only do 4 AS levels. If you do 5 or 6 As levels then you will dilute the effort you are able to put into your main 4 subjects. Also the time you would spend on the 5th/6th subject would be better spent on work experience, volunteering and extra curriculars to demonstrate team work, empathy, communication skills and manual dexterity - these qualities will be given more weight than having additional, unnecessary AS levels. Only do extra AS levels if you find it easy and able to fit in everything else Dentistry is hugely competitive - most who apply will exceed academic requirements (GCSE's) - having a strong personal statement and UKCAT score will help you stand out from the crowd.

Quick Reply

Latest