The Student Room Group

Anyone learning Portuguese?

Olá amigos,

I'm currently learning Portuguese, but it seems I'm a little isolated in terms of those also learning it on TSR...

Anyway, is there any good tools to use for learning the language; and would you recommend learning the Portuguese or Brazilian dialect? :smile:

Obrigado!
Reply 1
Original post by jake4198
Olá amigos,

I'm currently learning Portuguese, but it seems I'm a little isolated in terms of those also learning it on TSR...

Anyway, is there any good tools to use for learning the language; and would you recommend learning the Portuguese or Brazilian dialect? :smile:

Obrigado!

I've firmed a Spanish course at university and they are flexible if you want to pick up another language - thinking of picking up Portuguese as part of my Spanish degree?
Original post by dina95
I've firmed a Spanish course at university and they are flexible if you want to pick up another language - thinking of picking up Portuguese as part of my Spanish degree?

Absolutely!

Spanish and Portuguese are both great languages which really interconnect, so you'll be able to learn them in unison and really explore South American culture

Best of luck with your degree
Reply 3
Original post by jake4198
Absolutely!

Spanish and Portuguese are both great languages which really interconnect, so you'll be able to learn them in unison and really explore South American culture

Best of luck with your degree

Thanks! Is it useful for jobs, given I live in Northern Ireland?
Definitely,

Brazil is one of the biggest economies in the world and the UK desperately wants to trade more with Brazil. If you work in any industry with foreign outlooks being able to both Spanish and Portuguese (the languages of South America) will make you extremely desirable.

However, if you'd like to work in Europe, maybe pick up German or French; but European economies are a fading market - South America and Asia are the places to go :smile:
I'm half Portuguese and am just about fluent spoken, but written im quite bad lol, so I have been improving my writing.

I would definitely recommend learning European Portuguese. The reason I say this is because if you learn European, you can understand Brazilian Portuguese, but if you learn the Brazilian dialect, you will find it very difficult understanding the European dialect.

the Brazilian dialect is probably easier to speak (European pronunciation is very nasal) but in the long run you're better off learning European pronunciation.
Reply 6
Anyone who learns EU Portuguese can understand Brazilian Portuguese :smile:
Hey i'm learning Portuguese :smile:

I'm currently using an app called Duolingo which although is Brazilian is great for giving you lots of vocab to use as a lot of words are the same.

My boyfriend is Portuguese and he suggested it so he didnt have to teach me every single word and it got us to having conversations in Portuguese a bit faster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending