The Student Room Group

I don't know what I want to do with my life

So for a while I had my mind set on studying psychology and pursuing clinical psychology as a career because I thought it would have been something I would have enjoyed but I talked to my schools career adviser and she told me that the chances of me actually getting a job are really low because I would need to do a postgrad which would be extremely hard to get into and I don't want to do a degree which I can't actually get any jobs in. So i've been doing a lot of research and I just feel like pulling my hair out because I honestly don't know what I want to do anymore. And my mum keeps constantly asking me if I looked up things and I just can't cope with this pressure anymore. I'm going into S6 now so I need to make my mind up now but I'm just so confused. I've been looking into doing a Social Science degree maybe in as it incorporates many different subjects and has a lot of flexibility but I'm not sure what jobs i could actually get with it.
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by khansahussain
So for a while I had my mind set on studying psychology and pursuing clinical psychology as a career because I thought it would have been something I would have enjoyed but I talked to my schools career adviser and she told me that the chances of me actually getting a job are really low because I would need to do a postgrad which would be extremely hard to get into and I don't want to do a degree which I can't actually get any jobs in. So i've been doing a lot of research and I just feel like pulling my hair out because I honestly don't know what I want to do anymore. And my mum keeps constantly asking me if I looked up things and I just can't cope with this pressure anymore. I'm going into S6 now so I need to make my mind up now but I'm just so confused. I've been looking into doing a Social Science degree maybe in as it incorporates many different subjects and has a lot of flexibility but I'm not sure what jobs i could actually get with it.
Thanks in advance.

Have you considered doing a gap year? That would give you more time to think about what you want before diving head-first into something you're unsure of. :smile:
Thanks in advance.

This isn't going to answer your question exactly, but will hopefully calm you down enough to make a decision.
No choice that you make right now has to be permanent. There are plenty of opportunities to study something else later on if you feel you've made a mistake. For example, some guy studied to be a doctor, then he changed his mind because he realised he'd prefer to become an animator and now he works for disney. In the future, you might stumble across a career that you never knew about before, and decide that you want to pursue it. Also, just because the chances of getting that job are low, it doesn't mean it's impossible. If it is what you want to do, don't let statistics get in the way!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Laurasaur
This isn't going to answer your question exactly, but will hopefully calm you down enough to make a decision.
No choice that you make right now has to be permanent. There are plenty of opportunities to study something else later on if you feel you've made a mistake. For example, some guy studied to be a doctor, then he changed his mind because he realised he'd prefer to become an animator and now he works for disney. In the future, you might stumble across a career that you never knew about before, and decide that you want to pursue it. Also, just because the chances of getting that job are low, it doesn't mean it's impossible. If it is what you want to do, don't let statistics get in the way!
Good luck :smile:

Thanks that kind of makes me feel better.
I'm just scared of making a mistake because my family puts a lot of pressure on me (typical pakistani families) and my mum keeps telling me to make sure I know what I want to do. I didn't do so well in my english higher this year (i failed) and my teachers told me i probably wouldn't be able to handle something like psychology because it's more english based which kind of put me down a little.
I don't know what it is, but school careers advisors always seem so negative! I'm sure they mean well and are trying to help you be realistic in life. And to be fair, clinical psychology is definitely difficult to get into (like many other job fields) but, if this is really what you want to do, definitely don't let any Debbie downers put you off. If you study a psychology degree, it's quite a 'transferable' subject that, even if you decide that clinical psychology isn't right for you during the course of your degree, it will equip you with many effective skills sought after by employers.

If you give psychology a go, you do most likely have the option of changing courses later down the line. Your teachers are right in a sense, you need English-based skills to study such a demanding subject that involves much writing, but I also think this is true for many degree subjects. It's very important to bear in mind that many people 'peak' when they are at university, outperforming people that got higher grades then them at A Level. I know this for a fact as my mum is a university lecturer who has found this to be true on many occasions. The depth of study really lets you explore your interests. Don't be put off by your A Level grades now.

If you really think you'd like to pursue cog psych, I would say, by all means, go for it. Lots of people that sore successful today would not have got where they are today if they didn't believe in themselves or let other people who (wrongly) didn't believe in them hold them back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just to add to what I've already written, could I suggest taking a year out to further explore your interests? I made a post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1920552&p=49140481 when I was going through a similar thing, so this could be a useful point of reference for you? Hope this helps. Good luck!
Just to add to what I've already written, could I suggest taking a year out to further explore your interests? I made a post http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1920552&p=49140481 when I was going through a similar thing, so this could be a useful point of reference for you? Hope this helps. Good luck! 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Haushinka13
I don't know what it is, but school careers advisors always seem so negative! I'm sure they mean well and are trying to help you be realistic in life. And to be fair, clinical psychology is definitely difficult to get into (like many other job fields) but, if this is really what you want to do, definitely don't let any Debbie downers put you off. If you study a psychology degree, it's quite a 'transferable' subject that, even if you decide that clinical psychology isn't right for you during the course of your degree, it will equip you with many effective skills sought after by employers.

If you give psychology a go, you do most likely have the option of changing courses later down the line. Your teachers are right in a sense, you need English-based skills to study such a demanding subject that involves much writing, but I also think this is true for many degree subjects. It's very important to bear in mind that many people 'peak' when they are at university, outperforming people that got higher grades then them at A Level. I know this for a fact as my mum is a university lecturer who has found this to be true on many occasions. The depth of study really lets you explore your interests. Don't be put off by your A Level grades now.

If you really think you'd like to pursue cog psych, I would say, by all means, go for it. Lots of people that sore successful today would not have got where they are today if they didn't believe in themselves or let other people who (wrongly) didn't believe in them hold them back.

Thank you very much! Made me feel a little better. I'm actually good at essay writing and things like that but I really don't know what happened. Although my teacher believes something went wrong in the marking so I am getting a remark in my english exam, fingers crossed!
Thanks in advance.

Apply to do a joint degree? Or maybe switch degrees when there by taking an elective in your chosen subject? (Stirling uni would be good for both of these)

Don't worry too much about it, I wrote my personal statement on the last day of school and sent it away the next hour, and was ready to apply to an entirely different course until November - these choices right now won't be set in stone :smile: it's just nice to have it done in advance to get rid of the stress and pressure
Reply 9
Thanks in advance.

Just remember that there is always another route to go to be able to do what you want to! Have you heard of myworldofwork? Their website can tell you what you are good at and give you other career options that you might enjoy pursuing! Also different places have different entry requirements so look around for different places and if you currently are under the entry requirements then you have this year to get them!
Reply 10
Original post by Haushinka13

Just came back across this thread! I went with my gut and applied for psychology! I put a lot of thought into it, keeping in mind all my dreams and aspirations and I decided that I'm going to go for it. My friend who's in uni atm said she had friends who really enjoy the course and I also went shadowing for a day in October and I really liked it. I've already sat one exam: Higher History and I think it went really well and I'm pleased with my essays, just got three more exams left and I'm done, so fingers crossed I acheive an A and a B from my exams to get into uni :biggrin:
Thanks so much for your help back then, it really did help.
:smile:
Just came back across this thread! I went with my gut and applied for psychology! I put a lot of thought into it, keeping in mind all my dreams and aspirations and I decided that I'm going to go for it. My friend who's in uni atm said she had friends who really enjoy the course and I also went shadowing for a day in October and I really liked it. I've already sat one exam: Higher History and I think it went really well and I'm pleased with my essays, just got three more exams left and I'm done, so fingers crossed I acheive an A and a B from my exams to get into uni :biggrin:
Thanks so much for your help back then, it really did help.
:smile:

Really sorry, have only just seen this but I'm so glad you went with your gut and did what you wanted to do! Really pleased that I managed to help. I wish you all the best of luck with it all and hope that it all goes well. Best of luck with upcoming exam results too and that you get what you obviously deserve :smile:
Reply 12
Wow this is crazy lol I just logged in after ages. I'm now in my second year of psychology and I enjoy it a lot! After failing English in 5th year, I came out with an A in 6th year, so obviously my ability was there the exam just didn't go well.

Spoiler

Thanks in advance.

Wow this is crazy lol I just logged in after ages. I'm now in my second year of psychology and I enjoy it a lot! After failing English in 5th year, I came out with an A in 6th year, so obviously my ability was there the exam just didn't go well.

damn.I was writing a reply saying don't believe the schools career adviser.They r always so negative.And then I read this^ and I was thinking I just saw 1 minute of the past and now the present.Am happy that u chose something u enjoy without thinking about the schools career adviser.
Reply 15
Life is a journey and at the start things are not and will not be clearly laid out before you. If you really want to study Clinical Psychology it will be hard going unless of course you have a high level of interest in the subject. A Degree in most subjects will open a large field of work that you would be accepted. Some fields of work will accept you if you have a degree in anything. I would strongly advise against a gap year as they are very hard to explain to a future employer and can quite often make you look lazy. Do not take a careers advisers word as gospel I was told that I would be stacking shelves for the rest of my life, now I am an IT Guru who can strip and build a Jet Engine. It is up to you what you do (my Daughter tried clinical psychology but it wasn't for her and it is a long road). No doubt you will have disappointments on your journey. You will find that most of the obstacles in your path will be put there by yourself.

So in short; follow your instincts, you are often the best judge of your own ability. You will have to work hard. Try and keep your options open and always look for opportunities. Try and set realistic goals that you can see yourself achieving. Working hard early in life will make your life in the future easy. Don't take a gap year unless you can do something exceptional in that time, you will have to explain that year off to a future employer and it will have to look awesome. You don't want to live your life saying "What if...". Just make sure with everything you are always moving forward even if you are crawling on your hands and knees.

Good luck and keep your chin up!
Reply 16
Original post by Xevenius
Life is a journey and at the start things are not and will not be clearly laid out before you. If you really want to study Clinical Psychology it will be hard going unless of course you have a high level of interest in the subject. A Degree in most subjects will open a large field of work that you would be accepted. Some fields of work will accept you if you have a degree in anything. I would strongly advise against a gap year as they are very hard to explain to a future employer and can quite often make you look lazy. Do not take a careers advisers word as gospel I was told that I would be stacking shelves for the rest of my life, now I am an IT Guru who can strip and build a Jet Engine. It is up to you what you do (my Daughter tried clinical psychology but it wasn't for her and it is a long road). No doubt you will have disappointments on your journey. You will find that most of the obstacles in your path will be put there by yourself.

So in short; follow your instincts, you are often the best judge of your own ability. You will have to work hard. Try and keep your options open and always look for opportunities. Try and set realistic goals that you can see yourself achieving. Working hard early in life will make your life in the future easy. Don't take a gap year unless you can do something exceptional in that time, you will have to explain that year off to a future employer and it will have to look awesome. You don't want to live your life saying "What if...". Just make sure with everything you are always moving forward even if you are crawling on your hands and knees.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Hi there! Thanks for the advice! I posted this 2 years ago and I actually ended up applying for Psychology despite my careers advisor's and teacher's doubts and got in. I'm in my 2nd year and I do enjoy it I'm doing volunteering and building up my experience and CV. I'm not 100% sure what type of psychology I want to pursue, Clinical Psych is still at the back of my mind but I've got 2 years left to figure it out. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by tamil fever
damn.I was writing a reply saying don't believe the schools career adviser.They r always so negative.And then I read this^ and I was thinking I just saw 1 minute of the past and now the present.Am happy that u chose something u enjoy without thinking about the schools career adviser.

Thank you!
Reply 18
Hi there! Thanks for the advice! I posted this 2 years ago and I actually ended up applying for Psychology despite my careers advisor's and teacher's doubts and got in. I'm in my 2nd year and I do enjoy it I'm doing volunteering and building up my experience and CV. I'm not 100% sure what type of psychology I want to pursue, Clinical Psych is still at the back of my mind but I've got 2 years left to figure it out. :smile:

That's awesome. I noticed after I posted that you were on 2nd year and felt a numpty but the "advice" still stands (mostly). Careers advisors....meh. Good luck for the future :smile:

It's really nice to hear a success story on TSR- evidence that people taking a couple of minutes out of their day to give you advice a couple of years ago has really helped and it's great that you are now really happy with your decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending